2017 stats

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by SmileyRacing, Aug 29, 2017.

1. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

Just glancing at the nitro joe stats I received In The mail last week and it seems that most people can go faster than .60 under. Without taking a lot of time to compile numbers seems like if the indexs had about a tenth shaved off of them then there could be some GREAT racing going on. There would still be a few badass runs at .68 or so under but the majority would be in a decent " racing range".
    If indexes were set correctly then there would be no need for a personal index system as a class could not be hit unless it really had a performance advantage.
    Clark Smiley

projack and guitar builder like this.
  2. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

While I initially believed that the Personal Index thing would help the class, I now have to admit that I believe it hurts more than it helps.. it's keeping some people away from the track, cause they took too much personal, even though they have fast cars.. first round can be tough when you took too much personal, and it doesn't get any easier as the race goes on..

Good post, Clark.. but while we're talking about admissions, did you actually write that??.. JUST KIDDING??

projack likes this.
  3. SmileyRacing

I sure did. Wrote it while I was taking a Charlie!! JK
    Clark Smiley

4. SmileyRacing

What I was getting at is personal index or not if indexes are set right then you will not hit any one index unless there is a performance advantage. Let's say if 80% of classes have cars that can go more than .60 under their index then there is an index problem not necissarily a rule problem. If there were only 20% of cars that could go faster than .60 under then there would be no problem. Those few cars would hit an index and everything would work out like it was originally designed.
    Clark Smiley

5. projack

projack Member

In the last few years, bd/a has been gifted back .15, and now both Troy and Frank are .75 under cars. Classes were leveling themselves out with index, and then 67 classes got index back one year, then every class got a tenth back. I just don't get why Frank and Troy should get punished for really only being .60 under cars if you really look at it. People can puff their chest out about how fast their car is, but all it is is a chess match of protecting their index from the gifts they received. Actually, some call it a gift, I call it a punishment. Here's an interesting fact. Go on drag race central and look at the archives, and look at the #1 qualifier from Indy every year since 1999. Look at car count, and look at how far the #1 qualifier is under their index. It's really hard to argue the case that personal index and giving back index is working or needed.

6. projack

projack Member

Oh....and I also believe if they took away permanent hits at altitude adjusted tracks, the conversation about needing or having to give index back would never have been brought up in the first place. Instead of trying to fix all the index hits, mineshaft, etc., by giving index back, why don't we just get rid of what caused all the unrealistic hits to begin with. (because that's what was part of the justification and process on choosing which 67 classes got index back) JMO