43 Comp cars in Indy

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by MindSticker, Aug 29, 2017.

1. MindSticker

MindSticker Member

While it's obviously the biggest car count of the season, I'm pretty sure it's the lowest number, ever, for Comp at Indy. I look forward to seeing the show, just can't help but wonder if next year NHRA doesn't make it a 32 car program, and add in a 32 car TD deal to compensate. I think yesterday was the deadline for entries. Good luck to all the Comp guys here that are running the Big Go!

Nunzio Valerie Jr.

guitar builder likes this.
  2. projack

projack Member

If the rules stay as it is, I know that we are going to lose even more cars next year, so it's probably not going to matter if they change it to a 32 car field. But NHRA isn't going to turn down the money....so it's not going to change.

#2 projack, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  3. Matt

Matt New Member

I would think the sponsors of TD and TS would like to see their growing categories be allowed space at the biggest race of the year. Comp is still an amazing class of racing but it isn't growing nor attracting many new racers.

4. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

We used to go to Indy when we had the Topeka division race the week before. It helped break up the 24 hour drive. Plus I could race Topeka come home and work a couple days and then fly up. I would like to go back to Indy. Hopefully next year. It sure is a long way from home!!!
    Clark Smiley

guitar builder and Brian Browell like this.
  5. Clint Neff

Clint Neff Well-Known Member

Well just 709 cars and when I went the first time in 2007 there were almost 900. Numbers are down across the board! Hell 40 alky cars combined doesn't lie either! Crappy no matter how you look at at it!.

guitar builder and Ken Hawkins like this.
  6. Ken Hawkins

Ken Hawkins Member

Even if our car was together, we would not go to Indy. Why? No bang for the buck. If you look at it from a money spent point of view, we would rather spend the money to run the March Meet in Bakersfield. A B/Nostalgia Dragster is legal to run Junior Fuel/B in the Heritage Series. Just as much history at the March Meet as there is at Indy in my opinion. The house is packed at that race, the fans don't clear the stands after the fuel cars run, and not one 300 MPH car on the property.

7. Matt

Matt New Member

True. But if they opened it up to TD with a 32 car field they would easily fill it since it's the heart of D3. There could even be a record bump in the 6.3s from it.

Add TS and it's the same story. So there's an additional 64 cars plus the ones that didn't qualify.

And the TD/TS guys would run other classes as well if they have another car. This would all help bump the car count up.

8. MindSticker

MindSticker Member

Is there any talk of adding TD/TS to Indy? I agree with your post Matt, I don't think it would be a bad move.

Nunzio Valerie Jr.

Matt likes this.
  9. Matt

Matt New Member

TD sponsor (Racing RVs) is pushing NHRA hard to have a spot at Indy. Can't say I blame him. If I were paying that kind of money I'd want to be in the biggest race of the year too.

10. Shaun Vincent

Shaun Vincent Member

Indy should get rid of Super Comp and Super Gas and add Top Dragster and Top Sportsman. Then all classes at Indy would be a performance based class. Only 100 cars each for SG and SC is pretty bad when you can get 150+ at Topeka for a points meet.

11. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

There have been some epic TS/TD fields this season. And they are typically pretty fun to watch. Would be a nice addition to Indy!! With the decrease in overall race car turnout, would classes really need to be removed to add them?

12. MindSticker

MindSticker Member

I say just add them to Indy, even without losing other classes. You're only adding 64 or so cars, still keeps the total under 800 for the event. And, you're adding really badass cars!

Nunzio Valerie Jr.

boostedf22c likes this.