A Bad Day Racing

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Keith Mawhee, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Keith Mawhee

Keith Mawhee New Member

I have a point to make, but let me first provide some context. (This will take a while to read, but if you’ve got a few minutes- please do, as I’ve got a point I think that needs to be made…)

I’m just getting back from our 1st national event this season in LV. A 3-day race schedule is always rough. Throw in a half-day of rain, and it’s gonna be REALLY rough. This one was no exception.

After making 9 good runs with our Super Stocker the previous weekend in Baytown, we were seriously stumped when the EFI started acting up Friday night in what turned out to be Super Stock’s only qualifying session. Unfortunately, we never figured it out- and my brother, Korey Mawhee, went 0-2 (not in competition, but in even staging the car!) Not good.

We struggled with our Comp car too. First, when I got out of the (narrow) groove near the top end during the 1st qualifying session, and nearly lost it. Then again when I left the freaking water pump on after warming-up the drive line prior to the 2nd/final qualifying session, which killed the battery, and meant that for the 3rd time in 4 attempts we had to make the tow of shame back to our pit.

I’m not gonna lie- at that point, I’d have just as well loaded up & brought everything home. But we didn’t. We licked our wounds. (Charged the battery.) And nutted-up to face Jeff Lane, a tough racer and a guy I’ve admired for a long time. The car finally came alive, and we saw what had to be the prettiest win light we’ve seen in a long time Saturday afternoon. (I didn’t drive either end of the track particularly well, but after all the aggravation, we REALLY needed that win light!)

Reality came crashing back when Fletcher thumped me in R2 with a .005 on the tree, then did a real nice job backing into me at the stripe. On the surface, a 2nd round finish isn’t much to write home about. I know there are a lot of guys out there that would be disappointed with it. Some might not even bother to go to a race if that’s all they could do.

We are not in that camp. I’ve raced for 30 years. I’ve dreamed for a LONG time of winning my 1st national event Wally. As Dad enters his 70’s, and I my 50’s, I’m realizing that may not happen. I don’t care. Comp racing is what I want to do. The NHRA guys took good care of us (given the circumstances that were beyond their control). And it was neat to see/visit with some of the West Coast guys.

Korey & I are back in TX to earn a few bucks before returning to LV for the D7 meet next weekend. Dad stayed behind to troubleshoot Korey’s car, and take Mom to see the Grand Canyon. (The kind of stuff I’m sure we’d all like to do if/when we finally get to retire!)

We’ll obviously miss the D4 meet in Belle Rose this w/e, which is a shame because I know it’ll be FAST, and I know y’all are going to eat good! But we’ll see you in Ennis later this month.

I’m done rambling. I hope a few of you see the point I’m trying to make. If not, I’ll spell it out: Even on a bad day, drag racing in general- and Comp racing in particular- is/can be a hell of a lot of fun. Whether you win or lose, run well or struggle, and no matter the rules- it’s going to be what you make of it.

The Comp fraternity is unique. Perhaps the only thing we have in common is a disdain for shoe polish! But that’s cool- it’s something. If there are guys out there that have a car parked in the shop, or a new project that’s been tantalizing them for a while now, I hope you’ll seriously consider getting your butts out there. Don’t get caught up in the ‘What about this?’ and ‘Why are they doing that?’ stuff. Just get out and race. You won’t regret it.

Best of luck to you all,
    Keith Mawhee

2. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

Thanks Keith for the insight on manning up or nutting up!! I'll see you in Ennis for sure!!!
    Clark Smiley

Chris Benham and guitar builder like this.
  3. comp618

comp618 New Member

THATS A 2 THUMBS UP ;)
    DINO 618

guitar builder likes this.
  4. Clint Neff

Clint Neff Well-Known Member

Keith,

Thanks for sharing! Looked like you had a far from perfect weekend but like you said it can still be a hell of a lot of fun! Ride her til she bucks ya or dont ride at all! See ya in a few days!

brewer67nova and guitar builder like this.
  5. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

Really nice post, Keith.. thanks for sharing...

6. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

Very well said Keith !
    Dennis Smiley

7. Raymond Martin

Raymond Martin Active Member

429 K/AA Old Dude
    Keith:
    Thanks for the input. I've had my share I can promise you. You make a good qualifying pass have a cold beer with your racing buddies makes it all worth while. How could it possibly be any better than that. F all these latte, wine sipping, smoking jacket girlie men and the horse or limousine they rode in on... Thriller, I love you man!!!!

FLAT and guitar builder like this.
  8. Michael Compton

Michael Compton Active Member

Keith -

Great story and thanks for sharing. I wondered what happened as I was watching NHRA All Access and saw the unfortunate incidents you describe.

One thing I remember every time I have a bad day at the races is - A bad day at the races is better than a good day at work!

See you guys this year.

Michael

9. arthodges706

arthodges706 Member

AMEN, I think we have all been waiting for a post like that.
    Hey how bout Charlie and Clark
    LOL

10. DE3

DE3 Active Member

Very nice post Keith, your words are very familiar to me! I'll pass on something that was said to me a few years back after a bad day. Keep at it, your day will come. And when it does, it will be that much more special.

11. Frank Aragona Jr.

Frank Aragona Jr. Active Member

Great post Keith. I share your passion. If Don didn't say it I would have said the same. Good luck next week!