A few rumors that have been floating around.

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Jeremy Tanksley, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Jeremy Tanksley

I've heard at least one of these from more than one source. Not that these are life altering, but I wonder if there's any truth to them:

1) T/D racers will be competing for NHRA national championship points in 2015. No word on T/S.

2) A handful of Pro Stock racers will be dropping out next year making it unlikely that there will be 16 cars at any of the races.

3) NHRA and the big 3 automakers had a meeting at Indy such that NHRA questioned the big 3 reps on what they felt would get more participation in Pro Stock. The big 3 all concluded that they feel that the cars should look more like a production car, and the engines should be more like what's currently being sold on dealer lots.

The first one I can believe, and the second wouldn't surprise me. However, the third one seems a little, if not VERY, over the top. Even if true, I'm not about to believe that NHRA is willing to put such advice into action. Talk about lawsuits. But anyhow these have all been floating around, and supposedly originated from reliable sources.

BS or fact?

2. Nitro Bill

Nitro Bill New Member

I have been hearing the same rumor all year that T/D will be racing next year for a championship . I just assumed that T/S would also race for a championship .

Bill Kraus

3. Shaun Vincent

Shaun Vincent Member

Heard last year TS/TD/ and Super Street will all run for national points and be at all national events. To make room for these cars the quota will drop for comp, super stock, super comp, and super gas.

4. compfan1

compfan1 Member

One Pro Stock driver, Dave Connolly, has already dropped out because he will be driving Bob Vandergriff's Top Fueler in 2015. Vandergriff made the official announcement at Indy.

5. S Chamberlain

S Chamberlain New Member

At the end of the day Pro Stock should be based around something similar to Bruno's car. To get around the lawsuits you put a rules package in place and state that the new rules go into affect 2016. Totally agree the cars need to look more production like. The reason this is hard to believe is because we don't know Pro Stock to look any different than it is today.

6. JEFF GILLETTE

JEFF GILLETTE Member

I was told T/S & T/D would not be national class without a series sponsor

7. The Zone

The Zone Member

Heard NHRA's asking price was very high. Heard a sponsor (or sponsors) had come forth with a figure they could mange and NHRA said it was not enough.

Dean

8. Justin Rosen

Justin Rosen Member

Ohhh man, I hope #3 is true.

9. toyotaturbo

toyotaturbo Member

Why do they have to have a meeting about something we've all been saying for 10 years??

10. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

Just my opinion, but I think everyone has noticed, that TD and TS are the next big thing in the eyes of NHRA, especially at the Divisional level right now..

It is clear that those classes will be running for National Championships ASAP.. S/ST, on the other hand, will only be included if NHRA feels they have the pit space.. as we all know, they are just another filler, like the rest of us Sportsman racers.. but I think there might have been a package deal promise made.. LMAO!!!!

As far as Pro Stock is concerned, I think the Big 3 are more interested in their cars making reputations in Stock and Super Stock, and then easily targeting fans and potential buyers to get into their cars.. just like yesteryear.. Pro Stock is pricing itself out of existence as it stands today.. sponsors are being spread too thin to be involved in all the Pro classes.. unfortunately, I don't think the fans are as interested in Pro Stock as they are in the loud cars.. the sponsors are migrating that way also.. NHRA Pro Stock is headed down the path of IHRA Pro Stock, and where is that today??.. it also has to be considered that NHRA marketing SUCKS!!.. unless you are part of the Force family.. it's not good when Pro teams have to scramble for sponsors on a race to race basis.. pretty soon they will just decide that it is too much of an effort, and walk away.. just count the number of Comp teams that are in the same boat, and sitting..

There are many rumors about major changes on the horizon.. we need to fill fields, and put up some good racing, to dispell the rumors.. and if you look at the last couples of races, it's starting to happen in Comp.. special thanks to those who have made it more appealing to the racers..

AGAIN.. just my opinion.. and the Pro Stock guys should always remember that they are welcome to show up in Comp... B/A ain't that bad...

11. Jeremy Tanksley

As far as the future of Pro Stock, Bob Book was right. Pro Stock needs a rev limit. Heard the same thing this past weekend from a friend that just sold off his ownership interests in a competitive Pro Stock operation. In the conversation we had it was said that, "Pro Stock needs a 10,500 rpm rev limit using a separate spec rpm limiter box." The idea of spec heads came up in the same conversation and the same person replied, "You don't need that, just make a rev limit and a lot of the problems with the class will go away."

There is no relevant technical excuse that can be made at this point that would make having a rev limit a bad idea. Catching cheaters is the easy part. The hard part is NHRA actually signing off on the whole deal. Both F1 and IRL have rpm limits, and have had them for years. It's a way of controlling costs.

Make it simple. Any violators of the new rule is popped with a hefty fine and a long term suspension. That's one way of dealing with the cheating.

Pro Stock racers have very little in the way of bargaining power these days. Not when NHRA can get 32 or more Pro Mod cars show up, and it costs 1/3 the price to campaign one for a season. Yes, that's accurate figures.

12. ken reich

ken reich Member

pro stock

while there implementing that -make them look and meet templates similar to what they had when they were a great class to watch, think back to those days, new cars -new technology and a car the crowds can associate with!!!!and buy Monday morning --:)

13. comp 670

comp 670 Active Member

Top Fuel has a rev limit so why not Pro Stock? It would make the class more affordable and more teams might be willing to try it.

As far as going back to stock looking cars.... We already have that! Its called stock and super stock and I don't see those classes exactly packing the stands with spectators..

14. ken reich

ken reich Member

My favorite class ,without exception was pro stock, i ask myself, why do i not make an effort to watch or follow them any longer, theres a reason, and theres no reason to sugar coat it, when i think how you mark, and brandon and other part time racers sacrafice to try and participate ,makes me wonder why they dont try to find a way to fix it-a little pain over a year or two to try and reshape the class, otherwise im just another fan not makeing the effort to watch, IMHO

15. Mike DePalma

Mike DePalma Active Member

Your never going to cut the cost of running a professional category. When you limit one area they just spend the money in another. Top Fuel doesn't spend any less money now with the rev limiter and rear end gear rule than they did before. Forget trying to fix the cost of running those three categories. Fact of the mater the only classes your every going to be able to control costs are classed that have set indexes,(SG, SST, SC).

16. Mike Carr

Mike Carr Moderator

Mike, I don't think even the .90 classes can limit costs. Look at all the money racers spend to run 8.90 @ 180+ with big, fast motors. Next, it'll be old, outdated Pro Stock motors to go 8.90 @ 195 or 200+. Not cheap by any means. IMO, the only Eliminator that would be ''cheap'' to race would be Stock Eliminator (see Billy Nees).

17. Mike DePalma

Mike DePalma Active Member

I hear ya Mike. Don't discount the fact they have 250,000 tow rigs. I think the point is if you think you are going to race a professional category and do it without spending a whole lot of money, best to go fishing instead.

18. Mike Carr

Mike Carr Moderator

For sure. The only true affordable racing** is bracket racing.

** affordable is always what the individual racer makes it. In ANY class/eliminator. From Top Fuel to Jr Dragsters.

Like you said, quarter-million dollar tow rigs and the like. Back when I raced, there were racers I knew that had to stay in your $100+ per night rooms, eat at places where dinners were twenty bucks each (plus drinks), and so on. For me, a room at Super 8 and dinner at a Denny's or mom-and-pop local diner were good for me.

19. TobyG

TobyG New Member

Put a claimer rule on the motors and watch what happens :D

20. Adger Smith

Adger Smith Member

Rumors

You can run a A/F dragster program for way less than a Comp or even an all out top sportsman program. I have some friends doing it.