A few rumors that have been floating around.

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Jeremy Tanksley, Sep 12, 2014.

1. steve1724

steve1724 Member

Even fishing is expensive.

2. Jeremy Tanksley

Mike, I both agree and respectfully disagree. Pro Stock will always be expensive, no doubt. No one can predict the future, nor can anyone predict what the next big development fad will be. This being the case, NHRA has to tackle things as they arise in order to keep operating costs in check. Just think what Pro Stock would be like today if NHRA hadn't banned exotic material use for engine parts. What if there wasn't a rule for max bore center spacing? What if there wasn't that rule that there must be an exact 90 degree engine cylinder bank-to-bank angle? The ban on pneumatic valve springs? We could go on and on with examples. Things would be very different without these small additions to the rules, and it would certainly reflect through added expense.

A rev limit rule would likely be one of the biggest, if not the biggest, cost cutting rule additions in the history of Pro Stock. It's a pretty big deal. Will it make Pro Stock affordable? Simply put, no. Will it slow down the bleeding? Undoubtedly, yes.

P.S.- NHRA likely came up with a rev limit for Top Fuel not because they wanted to save costs, but to keep from having to clean up some guy's guts and blood off the racetrack. Those guys need every prayer they can get.

P.S.2.- On the other hand, from the way I understand it, at the beginning of the year a rev limit rule was proposed for Pro Stock and by vote it was shot down. So it appears that there are a large number of people involved that do not want a rev limit. Until this changes, you won't see a rev limit in Pro Stock.

#22 Jeremy Tanksley, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  3. Mike DePalma

Mike DePalma Active Member

Whatever rule you use to "cut the cost" they will just spend it somewhere else. The goal is to go faster! But, good luck on the quest for lowering the cost.

4. cutta

cutta Member

Simple fix, fixed budgets. It would/could work but it'll never happen lol.

5. 377 D/A

377 D/A Member

mike is 100% right maybe more than 100%, it would not matter if you put a rev limit or put them on 9" tires or make them all have a 650 carb on the thing kb and aj will still be kb and aj they will just figure out how to beat the rest of them although easier said than done with the red car being so good now but thats not the point. the point is that yeah the smaller guys would have an easier time not wrecking parts but it would not make them more or less competitive relative to the top teams. because the true cost of prostock is not valve train parts at all, its the fact that the top guys test and test and test and test, and when they are not testing they are testing, until you are willing, or have the resources, or both, to do what they do you will never beat them. as a side note i heard a pretty big time player with toyota say that if nhra would get rid of the hood scoops and make them in the range of 400" they would be into prostock big time, millions and millions they would throw at multiple teams. i was standing there when he said it so it is not hearsay. the notion that you can fix prostock by penalizing the guys who excel is laughable to me. it was never intended to be a class for the casual racer or the ill equipped racer. i am not being hateful towards anybody or anything im just throwing an opinion out there, and believe it or not, it is an educated opinion

6. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

Nice to hear from you Ian , U R over qualified to respond , fast is not bad , how U get there is the problem........

7. Fast1

Fast1 Member

But who in their right mind wants to run an A/F Dragster?

8. Rick Troutner

Rick Troutner Member

Besides money there is a lot of new types of on track street racing that is popular and pull attention away from all NHRA racing. They are not going to see comp or the pro stock at the events they attend. The days of choosing your fathers type of organized racing are over. Out of sight out of mind.

9. Bob Book

Bob Book Active Member

What he said............:D

10. Nitro Bill

Nitro Bill New Member

Just wondering if we will see a Bob Book Pro Stock entry for the west coast . I have been looking forward to seeing that car run .

Bill Kraus

11. Bob Book

Bob Book Active Member

It's up in the air due to$$$ and not money to finish and have everything ready to go but Brandon and I both run small business' and all the time off required to test and attend races on the west coast may be more than we can handle. The other issue is these engines inhale parts, valves every 30 pulls, springs every 6 pulls etc., etc. so we can't afford to dyno as much as I would like. We're hoping to, and I feel like we have a decent chance if engine (It's going back together now with new pistons, valves etc.) makes the power it did before this rebuild. If not we will regroup this winter (I'm close to having the funds to complete a second engine) and be ready for Pomona 2015. Next year we will be running 6-8 races - splitting time between the west coast and the Midwest.

12. Nitro Bill

Nitro Bill New Member

Thanks for the update Bob ! I know the engine will make enough power .

Bill Kraus

13. Jeremy Tanksley

#33 Jeremy Tanksley, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  14. Rob Harrison

If Larry Morgan does move over to ProMod , with 32 car fields and the crowd appeal to the class , may be the reasons NHRA needs to make it a Pro category for next year.....

15. Nitro Bill

Nitro Bill New Member

I'm afraid Pro Stock is dying right in front of NHRA and they won't do anything about it . It appears to me that we will see quite a few races next year without a full field . When that happens NHRA will pull the plug on Pro Stock just like they did on the Pro Stock Trucks .

I have a difficult time understanding why NHRA and the Pro Stock organization can't come to an agreement . The Anderson's, Grays and Allen Johnson will go the drain with everyone else when NHRA pulls the plug .

Bill Kraus

16. RonP

RonP Member

See related threads on ClassRacer.com

17. Jeremy Tanksley

It's like Morgan mentioned in the article about the tail wagging the dog. The way I understand it is that the rpm limit idea was presented for a vote at the start of the season. You might as well call it a waste of time. Reason being is that you cannot expect a guy to vote in favor of a new rule that mandates an rpm limit that is, for some camps, almost 1000 rpm lower than the rpm range he has spent years and thousands of man hours developing for. This being the case, it was pointless to even put it up for a vote. Interestingly enough there were a handful that voted in favor of an rpm limit. Point is, it has to be NHRA, and NHRA alone, that makes the decision. Otherwise, an rpm limit will likely never happen.

Morgan is right. The tail obviously wags the dog. It's like letting your kids tell you what they're going to do. Not a good policy.

18. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

So would a rpm limit be good for Comp Also

19. Rob Harrison

If you run Comp , you decide everything , RPM being one of many to decide what makes the most $ sense and HP benefit . The Pro's are the Pro's , $ are not part of their decision making process , HP is the goal.....

20. Dan Bennett

Dan Bennett Member

I don't think that is likely unless a major sponsor appears to support the class.

(previous message deleted)

#40 Dan Bennett, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014