A few rumors that have been floating around.

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Jeremy Tanksley, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Jeremy Tanksley

Pro Mod's car count is high with a 10 race schedule. The same might not be true with a 24 race schedule.

2. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

I agree, especially with the non sponsored teams.

3. Jeremy Tanksley

4. jheath

jheath New Member

Some of the story in Dragzine is incorrect. Charlie only bought a car from Cunningham's family. The engine parts (blocks, and heads) came from Ford Racing. This was posted on Charlies FB page last week.

5. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

In another month, Morgan will have a fire sale.

6. jheath

jheath New Member

Someone asked Charlie that, he says "I don't need anyone else's parts".

7. Greg Hogue

Greg Hogue Member

one solution could be to run Pro Stock 16 to 18 races a year and the same with Pro Mod. Overlapping both at races like Indy and Vegas .

as with the Pro Stock Truck deal, A lot of people might race either Pro Category if it was not a full time deal

No Matter what happens there has to be some limits in Pro Stock. 10,500 rpms and 1.0 inch lift will help, for a little while
    The second problem is that the fans really don't relate to Pro Stock anymore . We racers for the most part could care less about Top Oil down dragster, but we all love Pro Stock.

suggestions Fuel injection to get rid of the hood scoop.

find a series sponsor

give anyone over 70 a 50 lbs weight break WJ :)

8. Dave Ring

Dave Ring Member

I'm ok with that in PS, but as long as Ralph Van Paepeghem is racing, I'm not ok with that in comp!

9. Jeremy Tanksley

According to this article with Bob Tasca, it appears that Ford in fact wanted to change the face of Pro Stock:

http://competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/29440-tasca-mum-but-hints-his-racing-future-is-uncertain

Quoting the Competition Plus article:

While many fans have expressed an interest in seeing a competitive Ford in the Pro Stock category, Tasca ruled out the chance he might drive a Pro Stock car.

"I'm going to be honest with you," he said. "I don’t disagree at all with Ford's strategy on Pro Stock. Their strategy from the very beginning is to create the modern-day Pro Stock car with the Cobra Jet. That's what they feel the future of Pro Stock is. I think the other manufacturers would get behind it in a bigger way, and I think Ford would have gotten behind Pro Stock in a bigger way, had NHRA and the racers embraced that new generation of Pro Stock. That didn’t happen. And Ford was not in a position to commit resources to that technology.

"I'm not saying it’s good or bad. They wanted to invest resources in THEIR technology," Tasca said. "So I don’t necessarily disagree with Ford's direction on that. I think they really wished the Cobra Jet and the COPO and those programs came together better and ultimately created the new Pro Stock class. So that's kind of my two cents on that."
    Besides, he said, "My Uncle Carl [Tasca] drives the fastest Cobra Jet in the country. It runs 7.50s at 185 mph with a Ford engine in it. So that's a great story and a great showcase of Ford's engine technology. But there's no initiative to make it a pro class. Oh well."

10. Jeremy Tanksley

11. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

#51 Rob Harrison, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  12. Jeremy Tanksley

Rob, assume that changes were made and pro stock cars looked the part again. Also assume that factory support returned to the class in full. If these changes were made, then do you think spectators would be more interested in watching pro stock? Do you think participation would increase?

13. steve1724

steve1724 Member

With factory support and rule changes for Pro Stock, spectator and racer participation might increase over a few years. Like everything, it takes time.