A vote count collected by NHRA in Vegas?

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Jeremy Tanksley, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Jeremy Tanksley

From what I'm told, this past weekend at the Vegas nationals, NHRA - being interested in increasing Comp participation - collected votes regarding giving everyone index back at the end of the year. The vote was based on whether they should give back either a tenth or fifteen hundredths across the board. From what I'm told the vote was split 50/50.

Also from what I'm told, they were asking about personal indexes.

Please confirm.

2. Steve Polhill

Steve Polhill Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what good it would do? The fast guys will be stupid fast and a slower guys will be a little bit faster than they were. The qualifying order and race results will be that same. The only difference is the fast guys will suddenly have more index to burn through. Getting index back benefits the fast guys more than the slower guys they are trying to get back.

3. Shane Heckel

Shane Heckel Active Member

This will not help anything.....The economy is the deciding factor on what most racers and spectators alike are spending their money on....BUT, If NHRA wants to truly help car counts, include all classes at all races and raise the purse significantly, That will help more than anything. Bringing back qualifying money would also be a start!

#3 Shane Heckel, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  4. Adger Smith

Adger Smith Member

I do agree with Steve.
    You are still .15 short of a faster guy and he has .15 more index to burn.
    About dropping the quota I'll go a step farther.
    Do we do away with the grade point system?
    I'm sure it has it's merit for Divisional car count.
    I do believe that would help with some of the economic strain on race teams. Thanks Shane.
    Is NHRA really ready for the bookkeeping headache of Personal Indexes?
    This could turn into an interesting thread.
    Fast Vs slow with no CIC on comments here!!

#4 Adger Smith, Nov 2, 2015
  5. Jeremy Tanksley

While I'm not going to agree or disagree with personal indexes, I will note that my thinking on the personal index deal is you not only give the driver a personal index for a class that he/she hits the index in, but also the chassis SFI serial number for the chassis that hit the index - can't swap drivers and keep dominating. The index hit for the said driver and chassis only affects the class he/she hit the index in, and doesn't carry with them if they go to another class. Then at a particular time during the season - perhaps year end - adjust the index for all in a particular class to the largest amount it was hit. But at no point should personal indexes keep two cars in the same class from running heads up. Heads up remains heads up.

I really don't think it would be difficult at all to keep up with it. Requires a simple database.

Again, not agreeing or disagreeing. Just giving my opinion on how to do it.

#5 Jeremy Tanksley, Nov 2, 2015
  6. comp6869

comp6869 Member

Index

I'm with Jeremy, another scenario is to give everybody 5 or 10 back, then create the personal index, or leave the indexes alone and increase permanent hits to .65 under the index? Or just leave it alone and hope the economy gets better? :rolleyes:

Chad Perkin

7. Camco5491

Camco5491 New Member

This is a step in the the right direction!!!

Anyone-- .50 under in eliminations. .10 CIC 1st time .05 every time after.
    Drivers that jump classes take there CIC. With them...
    Cars that jump class take CIC..

Class-- race heads up fast guys win... No CIC !!!!

Delay boxes??? I'm game... Stick guys I think you'd like it... If you tried it...

Steve Basgall
    Wichita Ks
    My old parts might be able to play YET!!

8. Patrick Hale

Patrick Hale New Member

I attended the meeting in Las Vegas. It was really a discussion lead by Mike DePalma. Every racer there (40-50 people total with crew guys) was invited to speak their opinions (and many did). Mike has posted his email address on here so that others who weren't there could pass along their ideas.

Mike Rice was there and made a point of getting the car counts up. Rice again said Comp is not going away. He asked everyone to call one of their friends who is not racing today and find out what it would take to get them back out next year. Rice wanted to take the next few weeks to figure out something that will work for 2016.

No decisions were made. Just some show votes on a number of options to gage the interest (personal index, index give backs, mineshaft, others). I'm sure DePalma will be posting something soon.

Patrick Hale

9. Jeremy Tanksley

This is what I was looking for.

Thanks, Patrick.

10. Shaun Vincent

Shaun Vincent Member

I came up with a system and proposed it to NHRA and the comp commity. It's a simple thing to do that won't change how cars race currently. Simply you keep the index hit the same through the year. The difference would be, whatever your index is hit, that class would get half that back on January 1st. For example,if your index was hit .05 you would get .03 back for next year. If your index was hit .10 your would get .05 back.

The CIC system and permanent hits is what comp is. It keeps the playing field equal and needs to be in place. With that being said, it is also what hurts comp. when an index get destroyed,those racers will stop showing up. This system is the best of both worlds.

Every racer I talked too seems to like this idea but for whatever reason it doesn't get much traction after that.

11. Mark Lelchook

Mark Lelchook Member

I attended the meeting as well. Everything was as Pat Hale had said. The goal of the meeting was and is to keep participation and more importantly bring back racers to Comp. If you are an old Comp racer and wanna come back, or wanna get into Comp, now truly is the time to email Mike DePalma or your Division Rep and give him your opinion. Its important for our reps right now to know why we aren't racing, and whats gonna get us back racing, and keep us racing.

I cant stress enough, that each of us that race and has raced Comp, our opinion is important. The Comp racers that have cars sitting at home and haven't raced in a few years your opinion is even more important, Comp Elim. needs you out there racing again to keep it alive. I suggest that all of us Comp racers email our Comp Elim rep and let them know what will help make you happy and get you out there racing again. If its due to the economy, family, index , ect. ect. let them know that as well as that is an important statistic as well.

This really is not or was not meant to be an internet discussion, but as the tread has opened up, I will say that our opinions are very important, but probably dont have any value on this website. If you want your opinion to truly matter let your Division Comp Rep know your feelings directly.

Mark Lelchook
    D/ED

12. Shane Heckel

Shane Heckel Active Member

Here are some of my thoughts as a returning Comp Racer...First and foremost if it wasn't for Randy Wilson and family along with Steve Thompson, this wouldn't be possible, so thanks to them for the opportunity to get out and do what we love to do!

1. NHRA has to understand that they are NOT the only game in town anymore. This is not a criticizing statement, it is a fact. Since leaving the Comp world in 2009, I have been doing some other forms of Drag Racing with friends, mostly the Drag Radial stuff...This is where the guys who USED to be attracted to Comp, seem to be landing....Plenty of diversity in the classes and all heads up racing with most local 1 night races, paying $2500.00 on the low end and most paying $5000.00 on the high end to win....I was just in Huntsville Alabama this weekend for a race called Radial Madness, the X275 Class paid $7000.00 to win, there was 19 cars in attendance with a $150.00 entry fee and crew was $40.00 each. We had rain after 1st round, chopped the pot and went home with $650.00 each.....Moral of the story, More bang for less bucks!
    After looking around and asking questions of some of the racers at this race, such as "Why don't you run NHRA stuff" the main answer is this...."It cost me too much money to take off of work for a week to go to a race and run for $2000.00 after I spend over $500.00 to enter and pay for my crew".....

2- Limiting participation at races....Why would you ever turn a racer throwing money at you away...Not having Comp at races such as Denver. Sonoma, Phoenix, Bristol is beyond me...Class is struggling and you limit races that can be attended??? If I lived in California, we could not race but 4 national events a year realistically?? Why bother building a car? Nowhere to race it....

3- The Sunoco Fuel situation needs to be corrected...in a HURRY! Participants loosing rounds for nothing after purchasing a product that is mandated and the NHRA knows that there has been an issue is complete incompetence buy the NHRA and Sunoco....

4-Poor parking at the "mandated to participate" at Divisionals....Some Comp
    teams have to work on their racecars and need pavement or at least level ground to perform this task....Here in D-4 it seems to have become a serious issue, so bad that some teams don't go to certain facilities to avoid this issue .

This is some of what I hear, roaming around the pits the last 6 years, let's hope it don't fall on deaf ears, I love this class and I'm grateful
    to get to participate in it again!

13. comp 670

comp 670 Active Member

Bring back qualifying money... That would help small teams like ours a TON to make more races. We did not get to go to Vegas or Pomona because we got the car done and ready to go but we don't have the money needed to make the trip. Qualifying money really helps this problem.

Really, to get car counts up its all about MONEY.... We need qualifying money and bigger payouts.

14. pro7474

pro7474 Member

Mark Wolfe you are 100% right on the qualifying money, that is what got JUstin and myself into comp to begin with, we look at the qualif contingency and figured we could get $450 back if we just got in and that would pay for our weekend

15. DE3

DE3 Active Member

Personal indexes will NEVER EVER work. There will be too many variables to track and that is more leg work on NHRA's part. Driver swaps, car swaps, bogus SFI tags, what if I sell the car complete to someone else? Someone somewhere will find a way around it. Don't think it will happen? Just think lead helmets and scoop plugs.

In my eyes, giving index back can help, and hopefully brings out some of the guys who were less competitive. For the fast cars, it is much tougher to race at .70-.80 under. For the guys who were .45-.50 under, they are now .60 under, without worrying about a permanent hit.

We all know money is part of the equation and the payouts are low but the big question is where is it going to come from? The NHRA has races with no title sponsors, contingency sponsors, and pro teams dropping like flies. Just my opinion, but it would seem that their time and resources will go toward securing money for those areas first.

The fuel issue is another that needs to be worked out, but I don't know of anyone personally who isn't racing solely because of it.

16. pro7474

pro7474 Member

I did not go to the meeting but we did discuss it afterwards and in my thought is we need to see were there is cars and money currently racing that would compete in comp

#1 the factory COPO/Dodges and Mustangs, these guys are spending a boatload of money already so why not put some classes in comp for them with LEGIT index's to bring some over

#2 Top Sportsman make a ADS/A and BDS/A [A Door Slammer] and so on classes that require the car to have doors and are geared to 600 plus CI engines, so that way they do not have to run in A/A and of course make the index's LEGIT

#3 Supermods, there is I would guess 50 to 60 supermods in Super Stock so they need to go back 2 years ago and give all the classes that did not get 5 back, the 5 back it seems that they did not give the super mods back like most of the classes, I would guess that the easiest racers to get to move to comp would be competitors from Stock/SS classes.

As for giving index back I do not see how that would help, if you are top 1/2 now you will be top half with more index, I do agree with personal index though.

Chris Lamb

17. cutta

cutta Member

I'm going to sound like a prick, but my question is where is the additional money coming from?

It seems to be a smart assumption that its not going to come from the NHRA and with the economy being the way it is, it seems to be difficult to find sponsors willing to put up more money. Just curious if someone has a plan in place to secure funds or knows a sponsor that is ready to commit to put money up.

I really hope I don't get ripped for my comment.

18. craig schuck

craig schuck Active Member

The program that used to exist where companies paid racers qualifying money for running a sticker and product should be the first thing reinstated. The qualifying money is more important to the health of comp than the winners payout or contingency postings.... Bring back the qualifying money!

19. comp 670

comp 670 Active Member

This is a legit question but one that is somewhat easily solved. Go back to the old system where contingency sponsors provide the qualifying money. NHRA has ran most of them off with their high fees etc, if NHRA would back off and quit trying to put the money in their pockets and let the contingency sponsors just pay out to the teams it would work. Strange, MW and MANY others have left in the last few years due to the way NHRA treated them. Getting these companies back would go a LONG way in helping bring back qualifying money. Just my opinion.

20. comp 670

comp 670 Active Member

Yep, only one person gets the winning payout... Everybody who qualifies would get qualifying money and that would go a long way in making people want to get back into comp with cars that are just sitting.