A vote count collected by NHRA in Vegas?

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Jeremy Tanksley, Nov 2, 2015.

1. aaron strong

aaron strong Member

The closest thing to qualifying money for divisionals is to do like Brian Browell and get sponsors to pay into a comp bonus fund then turn around and pay for entry fees at divisionals is an idea we've been working on for D6. If there's more money left over pay for #1, top of bottom and last qualifier. We're lucky that NHRA works with the comp reps on solutions to improve comp, there biggest push is to get our car counts up. Think you would get more cars to more races if the we get index back the 40 under guys will feel competitive. The whole goal is to get more cars at races in 2016!

2. Trent Gusso

Trent Gusso New Member

1) bracket racing = breakout out racing (not applicable to comp)

2) giving index back does not help 45 under cars. They are .15 behind the 60 under cars now and they will be .15 behind the .65 under cars after a .05 give back. The worst part is the populated classes will cic sooner than the classes with 1 or 2 cars and then the .45 under cars will be .20 behind waiting for the cic to catch up. This hurts the populated V8 (entry level) classes more than the 'unique' classes with less cars.

3) I disagree with personal indexes. It removes the heads up nature of comp. If someone can go .61 under in my class, I should be able to also.

Trent Gusso

3. Ken Hawkins

Ken Hawkins Member

Length of the divisional events kept my car on the jackstands for the race at Topeka. We had planned to go, but my wife couldn't get the Friday off...I'm not racing without her...it's her car too!

Also, I found that I couldn't get a crew. I need one mechanic to help me as my wife is not yet in a position of ability to cover the tasks needed while I'm strapped in the car. I couldn't get a crew because no one could get the time off.

4. genoneracing

genoneracing Member

What if.....
    Adjust the indexes over the winter to suit the 80% of cars in that class.
    Leave the current CIC penalties in place.....
    BUT
    Give each car a total amount of index they can hit per race. For instance .05 total adjustment per race.
    Use .01 or .02 at a time and once you get to .05 it is now a hard index meaning you go under you lose.
    Everything starts over at the next race and indexes are only adjusted based on trends of all the runs across the country in each class.

5. David Cook

David Cook New Member

1) More money. The winners check from NHRA to comp racers has been $2000 since 1982 (could be longer, but that's as far back as I can remember). It's time for a raise. That's long enough
    2) Qualifying money. $200-500 would go a long way with the racers
    3) Index hits at the end of the year. CIC stays in effect for every race at -50 under. That way, racers can work on their combos without spending a ton of money for another class. They did this in Mexico when they ran Comp under NHRA rules, and everyone stayed in one class and worked on their combinations. If the index hits over the years have leveled out the playing field (for the most part) then this should work.

6. Backyard Bandit

Regarding the payouts here is what took place over the last weekend. We were there and this is what the young people are into. The payout is high the entry fee is low and they are all 32 car qualified fields. And every class had full fields. They are all heads up classes!! no handicaps!! And by the way the stands were full to capacity!! Sorry, but Comp can't compete with this!

http://www.importvsdomestic.com/payouts/

7. Ed Urcis

Ed Urcis Member

restoring index

Classes that did not get their index hit during a season have either no competitive cars, very very good drivers, or no cars running that particular class. Surely giving index back to all classes w/o any permanent index hits during the season would stimulate more entries in these classes, hopefully from parked cars or new competitors (and not just racers switching classes). But giving index back to classes that have shown the ability to hit the index just keeps the above "slow" cars from returning. So, what is wrong with JUST giving index back at the end of the year to classes w/o any index hit ???

This idea could be modified to something along the lines of giving more index back to classes w/o any runs greater than say .500 under, something to classes that have had runs that are (as an example .500 to .XXX under), and nothing to classes have had runs that were more than .XXX under.Or some sliding scale following the above principle.

Money always helps bring cars out, qualifying money could (as in the past) go a long way to helping to get full fields.

I do not think we should be focusing at all on what starting line tree or bulb is used as an attempt to get more cars. In fact, to those who point out that certain types and speeds of cars react different(which is of course true)I agree, and a possible solution would be to let each driver pick his/her own tree (sort of a "personal starting line option, which is much easier to implement than an personal index system)

Ed Urcis--- (shameless plug inserted here >,"Employed by CP-Carrillo, supplier of pistons to the 2015 NHRA Comp Eliminator World Champion)

8. Jeremy Tanksley

I'm happy you found something you like better. :D

Otherwise, what are you proposing? Do you suggest NHRA do with Comp what that venue is doing? What aspects of their program do we apply to the Comp program to help it now rather than later? Comp racers are deep in this deal with what they already have. Tens of thousands - hundreds of thousands for many - have been invested. Additionally, whatever we take from that program, how do we implement it so that we don't lose many of the racers Comp already has?

Please elaborate if you can.

9. Rick Troutner

Rick Troutner Member

I see this thread has pretty much gone full circle again and the wish for pennies from heaven will rain again if you do nothing. It is all business and I see no real business discussion of how to create that income. Some ideas have risen and not discussed as usual. Lucas oil and Mavtv seem like a real good way to start. IMO.

Back to listening and waiting for a new Medicare scooter class with a cream cheese index!

10. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

Points to Ponder, what would happen

If you told prostock racers they were going to a sportsman ladder, it should increase participation.

If you told prostock racers if they go faster than the record in eliminations, the faster racer will have to give their competitor a handicap advantage start in the next round.

If you told Jeg Coughlin your really not a great driver because you race on a Pro tree.

11. Backyard Bandit

The reason I brought this up is the payouts at that race were representative of what we should be getting. Most of us have more tied up in our operations than those racers do. They can pay that kind of money out because they have numerous sponsors and they have large crowds at the races. We have neither! In my opinion, we aren't going to get it either. We need to get young people involved in Comp and I don't see it happening. The young people now are into the current cars and technology and the heads-up style of racing is easy for the spectators to understand!

12. Jeremy Tanksley

From what I was informed by NHRA, final decisions will be made later this week in Pomona on what they plan to do to help current competitors and to get some others back racing. Whether an announcement will be made was never disclosed - just the fact that final decisions will be made.

13. Will Hanna

Will Hanna Administrator

specialize

Nobody has addressed the 800 lb gorilla in the room - the thought that Comp is on it's way to becoming extinct. If I was a racer thinking about building a Comp car, I would be very concerned about making that investment, then not having a class to race in.

I don't know if NHRA would do it, but I think getting a guarantee that Comp will be around for "X" years would be a good start.

As mentioned several times, this is a business, so if you are going to ask for more money, you had better be able to show how it will make NHRA or the tracks more money.

I think NHRA has shown a great commitment to sticking with Comp, I think namely because it is such a part of NHRA's heritage. I don't think Comp makes a compelling case on the balance sheet. With the car counts the way they are it's not generating a ton of entry fee/crew revenue and it's labor intensive from a tech stand point.

There are a lot of flavors for a racer to choose from these days that wasn't the case years ago. If you wanted to go faster than a bracket or Super class car, Comp was the next step up. There was no Top Dragster or Top Sportsman, no radial/10.5 stuff, and no local outlaw Pro Mod stuff. It's not real uncommon to see a 6 second car at a local bracket race now. Let's not forget about the Import scene. So if you had the money to build a car, Comp was one of the few choices you had. Also, if you were an aspiring racer or fan, you looked up to Comp because it was up the food chain and you were working towards it.

I have raced with a Top Dragster team for the past couple of years, and many of them are just a different breed. Maybe they're just normal and we're not. They want a car that hauls ass and you NEVER have to work on it. When we came out with the screw hemi car they were like OMG, you pull the valve covers EVERY run. EWWW. A lot of those guys want to make a run, hook the battery charger up, fuel it, then go back in the motorhome and watch Direct TV. Different strokes for different folks, but the point I'm making is you have to enjoy working on your car and working towards that goal of going faster and winning races.

No amount of money, index, personal indexes or tree type is going to attract the majority of those type racers. Especially when they have choices that better suit their tastes.

So instead of trying to make Comp everything to everyone, focus on how to make it better. I think there are ways to get more money in, but it needs to be put together as a business plan (good start for another thread). I think the new contingency program is a step in the right direction. I think Comp needs better PR. Aside from coming on here or reading a National Dragster article, you don't see much about Comp outside of the box score. The next coming months are pretty easy to get stories published since there isn't much racing news. Not only let people know what is going on, but make the sell on how cool the class is. Getting a group of racers to fund this effort may be very tough. Most racers will say that NHRA just needs to give Comp more money and that it's NHRA's job to promote the class (This is why the Pro Sportsman Association failed).

I admittedly don't get a chance to follow Comp as close as I used to when I'm at the track. I just have more responsibilities at the track. When I do get a chance to watch a round of Comp eliminations, the redlights are a big buzz kill. I'm not going to say it would attract a bunch of racers to the class, but I have talked to a few racers outside of Comp, and they do say they wouldn't be wild about bottom bulbing the full tree. If I could make one change to Comp, I think a staggered .400 pro tree would make for more races to the stripe.

14. DE3

DE3 Active Member

Just a couple of my thoughts.

I know for fact that the NHRA has said that they don't want to get rid of Comp. The end will come if it just continues to self destruct.

It can be construed on a couple of points, that some people at the track are just generally lazy.

The first is "I want a fast car, but don't want to have to do maintenance on it". In reality, from a safety standpoint, I personally don't want someone next to me who isn't going to take the time to maintain their car. That in and of itself cost me a car once.

Secondly, "I don't want to work to learn how to hit the bottom bulb".

Again, this is either fear or laziness to practice IMO. Red lights are part of the game, they happen in every class on every tree. Watch a round of Stock or Super Stock. The percentage of red lights at the end of the day is probably the same.

Money, tweaks to the CIC system, and index reviews are the key components in getting Comp back to where it was.

15. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

Just read back through this thread and it is a good one , a thorough review of Comp as it is and where it's going . I;m sure the majority of the people that post on ICR , listen to the audiocast on National events , well if you are going to judge the position Comp is in by what the announcers rave on about , " this is the coolest eliminator in NHRA , it is where all the Pro's came from , engineering at the highest level , a performance based class , they love Comp as it is . If there are any negative comments . it is the number of non-races due to redlights , but as Don said , probably the same number in SuperStock .

If you listen to the comments , getting rid of Comp is not on the radar , they seem to offer the upmost respect for the people that take up the challenge to run in " the most difficult eliminator ". As Will said , the people that run Top Dragster do not want to work on the car between rounds , nothing could be further from what a Comp team does between rounds.....and likes it....Comp is Comp , it will never change .

16. mike wharram

mike wharram New Member

Coming from an ex comp guy who now runs TD please don't tell me I don't work on my car , your fooling yourselves if you thing running 6.00 requires no work ! FYI I still really like comp and do watch you guys run :)

17. Greg Hogue

Greg Hogue Member

Wow I like 99% of what Will and Don are saying , our worst problem in from within. I am currently running top Dragster because I am not able to afford to run comp. Hopefully one day I will be able to again some day.

I truly believe that NHRA and Peter are trying.
    what makes me really believe this is listening to WJ, we all know what he feeling about NHRA have been over the last years, WJ speaks his mind . WJ is very empresses with Peter and believes that NHRA has turned a corner.

I heard that Peter even called to sportsman racers as customers, and that NHRA needed a better customer experience .

My thoughts

Everyone start your own personal PR campaign with both the fans and non comp racers.

Everyone work on your manufacture partners , we all have a few that we have close ties to . This new contingency program is a great deal. Run their decals , and promote those that promote comp.

Go to races , if you can run comp , help some one that does and have a good time.

This is Wally's class , lets spread that fact with the fans .

at National events after qualifying , line up the top 16 qualifiers , and get NHRA to announce the that these cars will be lines up for a hour or so to answer questions to the fans. Everyone get Hero cards

18. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

That was well presented , Greg , we all need to re-read your format....Comp can survive....and NHRA wants it to....

19. Jeremy Tanksley

From what I've been informed by a reliable source is that everyone will get a tenth back and there will be personal indexes.

Perhaps someone can confirm this.

20. ken reich

ken reich Member

Nhra

I posted it on my facebook page, happy thanksgiveing