Aa/sm???

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna Administrator

Should be interesting...who's the cast of players? Anyone going to have one out early?

2. Shane Heckel

Shane Heckel Active Member

Brogdon is coming!!!!

Brogdon is gearing up...............should be FAST.

3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna Administrator

gas or alky

am i correct in assuming it will be gas supercharged, not alky supercharged?

4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna Administrator

gas supercharged

supercharged on gas is a whole other world from what i'm told...so this will be a very interesting class to watch.

5. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

I really think that this can be a fast class with the index where it is right now........... the only problem I can see is that it is supposed to be a gas only class which could become a tuning nightmare.......... if Brogdon is in fact coming out with one, he has the money to get the right people to work on it and tune it........... could be very interesting or very costly.......... and I think the broken parts list may chase a lot of people away.............

6. Shane Heckel

Shane Heckel Active Member

Not A Roots Blower!!!!!!!!!!!

Correct me if im wrong, but I think alot of people are confused about this class! The class is based on a centrifagal style blower with DIGITAL FUEL INJECTION.This setup is COMMONLY used by NMRA,NSCA and outlaw 10.5 racers on gas with a TON OF SUCCESS.There will be no injectors sticking out of the hood,the blower looks like a turbo setup.There is alot of cars in these classes that run 350ish c.i.motors at 3000#'s on TRUE 10" tires that run in the 7.40 range with automatic trannys.The class looks PLENTY GOOD from were I sit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Shane.

7. Dave Ring

Dave Ring Member

Shane-that was my interpretation of the class when it was announced.

8. Charlie Yannetti

Shane and Dave are right............... for some reason I had blower on my mind, which is hard to run on gas........... after re-reading about the class and seeing "unblown", I stand corrected............ that being said, I would agree with Shane that this is a very do-able class.......... also consider that you can run what ever tire is needed and also get a weight break for an auto trans.............. Brogdon could be someone to wreckon with this year if he is coming out with one...........

Is there any word about anyone else building one?

9. Trent Gusso

Trent Gusso New Member

Aa/sm

This class uses a centrifigal style supercharger. This a unit the is belt driven and is mounted along side the front of the engine. Most of the cars built with this type of blower are fuel injected, although it is possible to seal the blower tube to the top of a carb. There are several differnt sizes of Centrifigal superchargers (like a 6-71 vs. 14-71) the rules for AA/SM allow for a smaller blower than is popuar with the "outlaw cars". Most of the fast outlaw cars don't use blowers- they are twin turbocharged and they all have upgrades that are not allowed in SM (carbon body panels, lexan, bigger engines, etc.). I don't have a dog in this fight, but I am a huge comp fan and follow some of the outlaw 10.5 type racing- my .02.

Trent

10. Phil Burgess

Phil Burgess New Member

Butner going AA/SM

You can read more about it in National DRAGSTER's upcoming season preview issue, but Taylor will convert Butner's Cavalier to AA/SM. They have sponsorship from ProCharger, NitroPlate, and electronic-ignition guru John Meaney’s Big Stuff company. Meaney will assist in tuning.

He also reports that David Nickens is working on an AA/SM, presumably with his Bo driving.

Butner's car should debut at the IRP points meet. I can't wait.

11. Charlie Yannetti

Thanks Phil............. looks like there could be some awesome heads-up racing in AA/SM going down the stretch............

12. jim wiens

jim wiens New Member

Don't think it will be a big tuning problem because they will get to use a liquid intercooler. so the air goes in at 350 degrees and comes out at 40 so you can run a lot more timing and compression the a normal blown gas car and not worry about detonation .There are 400 Ci engines @ 2650 LBS RUNNING LOW 6.40S

13. Patrick Barnhill

Patrick Barnhill New Member

Blowthrough carburetors

Hi my Name is Patrick Barnhill. I am a NSCA Limited Street racer with an F2 Procharger on a 356 ci SB2.2 engine. My car uses a blowthrough carburetor setup built by Roger at C&S. These Procharger combos is not very hard to do and will make a ton of power. Most people are afraid to try these combos due to the high cost of fuel injection and how complex it can be to tune the EFI. The carburetor can be a much more cost effective and much easier to tune. With the design of the billet aerosol carburetor form C&S the fuel distribution is great and they will make just as much power as EFI. Currently my car with very little tuning has run a best of 7.88/178.76 in my 3250lb Nova. This pass was on a 10.5 tire and a cold November race track. Most of you are new to this blower thing and certianly to the carb setups. If you need any help or have questions about wanting to do this type of combo call me at 614-554-0713. This is going to be a great class and the power potential of these cars will amaze you.