Bench racing season rules ideas.

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by rognelson777, Nov 26, 2018.

1. cervelli7

cervelli7 Member

I think the pro tree would have to be a .5 tree or it would screw alot of the cars.

FLAT likes this.
  2. Shaun Vincent

Shaun Vincent Member

I see a lot of racers hammer the throttle to the floor when the top light comes on. Especially when they are spotting someone a long distance. Please explain how a pro tree can work? Also for some engines in hot weather it takes a long time to get the engine to the chip without bogging the motor. So it would be difficult for some combinations to be ready before the tree drops. Please explain how a pro tree can work?

Joey arrowsmith likes this.
  3. 3354 C/AA

3354 C/AA New Member

I agree^^. Why not a .400 full tree and go half way?

4. Todd Hall

Todd Hall Member

One thing that I always thought did make much sense is when there's the mine shaft rule instead of giving us 5 extra on our index they should take 5 off our index across the board for that race and if you go 61 under that index you lose one.

5. cervelli7

cervelli7 Member

There is nothing wrong with comp . It comes down to one thing . Money. If the payout was better we would have more cars. We lost a lot of cars when we lost the qualifying money.I think it would be cool if we could get a big buck race organized or a club that could put on races like all the other sportsman categories have. This would make it so you could race your comp car more then just NHRA events , just like other sportsman categories.

6. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

Shawn how long does it take to rev your motor. If it doestake a long time, work on your shit.
    Clark Smiley

FLAT likes this.
  7. Michael Compton

Michael Compton Active Member

I agree 100%. I think if D3 can do a bonus fund why couldn’t we do a nation wide program separate from what NHRA pays? I would be more than willing to help!

8. Shaun Vincent

Shaun Vincent Member

Same answer can apply if you cant cut a light, work on your shit and your driving.

9. David Eatom

David Eatom New Member

Pro tree would be a big advantage for the slower index car leaving first.. the faster index car leaving second would now have no appropriate idea when to go on the chip and a different pro tree every time he raced a different competitor...the starting line staging games wanting to be the second one to stage would drive nhra nuts … if you struggle with a staggered tree blinders are the best alternative very fair for both cars.

FLAT and Joey arrowsmith like this.
  10. Andrew Holt

Andrew Holt New Member

I have to say I was a fan of the pro tree idea...mostly due to my randomness on my lights and the urge to red light. Its pretty tough... especially with a stick car. But after some recommendations from fellow racers I moved to using blinders... Its really helped me straightened up my starting line game. I'm sure most already do blinders... but if not I highly recommend.

With that in mind... I think a pro tree is unnecessary.. and possibly a can of worms especially considering the variety of cars in Comp and how it would effect different combos across the board. Probably a situation where 50% of people it would help.. and hurt the other 50%. With a change with those odds... I would say leave it alone. There are consistently good starting line racers in Comp... and guys who aren't. So I've come to the conclusion... its not the playing field... it the skill of the racer that matters... and if I want to be better I need to work on it.

11. Terry Spargo

Terry Spargo Member

I'm tired of seeing red so yes go half way .400 full tree and add a small feature the Biondo 450 crossover....cant see any problem with that..

Mike Dahl likes this.
  12. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

Comp needs all the help it can get......400 tree or.400 full tree , the .500 full tree is from the dark ages . As far as "revability when you floor it " any problem with that is also from the dark ages.....this is not Super Stock . the single 4 BBL Comp classes go against the limiter same as FI Comp cars......just ask Ryan Warter , he goes to the floor on the second stage light and has done so for several years . "Joint Venture" with Jimmy Warter ( Ryan's Dad ) goes back in Comp 40 years , a good example of how old the .500 tree is.....

Mike Dahl likes this.
  13. cervelli7

cervelli7 Member

The tree is not going to get more people out to race comp. The only thing that has a chance of helping is more money. If some of us can figure out how not to go red in a dragster , then I think everybody can.

FLAT, Joey arrowsmith, gkamp and 2 others like this.
  14. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

The tree will always be a issue, Blinders work great if your car cannot redlight on a .500 protree, but if you use a blinder and still have to wait on the tree like the I/dragster that my family races, (.995 60ft} you have to still wait even with a blinder.

15. BenHolt

BenHolt Member

Sure, if you have to wait it's tough, but that's what happens when you have a car that is fast and light, like yours. Ours is 1050 lbs and reacts probably as quick, if not quicker, than just about any car in comp. He still has to wait on the light, but the blinders have helped to give him consistency on the tree. If you're not good on the tree, you just need to get better.... I wholeheartedly agree with Frank and several others on here. The tree isn't what is keeping racers away from comp.....

Brian Browell likes this.
  16. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

What does NHRA pay for the following (contingency payout aside)?

Divisional event win and championship?
    National event win and championship?

And what was the qualifying money they used to give for comp?

17. Joey arrowsmith

Joey arrowsmith New Member

Division win I believe depends on car count but could be wrong. Winning your division is 3k. National event is 2k to winner and 1500 to runner up and 15k to end of year champ.

18. Joey arrowsmith

Joey arrowsmith New Member

Contingency sponsors used to pay out to qualify back when 50 cars would show up to an event and it meant something to make the 32 car field. Not sure on the money but most would pay you 50-100 to make a national event. So just to qualify in an event you’d make around $1800

SEAN DODD likes this.