Blower or Not....All Classes

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Rob Harrison, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

There is not a single factory hot-rod, that does not offer a blown option, supercharger or turbo, so why not end all the BS and offer both option's for every class, including Pro Stock. Indexes or otherwise will get adjusted, before long, you won't know where the blower's are, should would shut up the arguement for which was better.....it's all your's if you think one has an advantage.

2011....times they are a changin'

2. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

WHAT the ***K

#2 SmileyRacing, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011
  3. comp 670

comp 670 Active Member

Rob has been drinking I think.....

In my HONEST opinion ALL power adder classes should be banned from comp. If everybody started running turbos and blowers like in Pro Mod things will get out of hand very quickly. Look at Troy Coughlins ride this year,6.00 @245 with a 380" engine!!! Run that thing as a AA/AT and your a sec under..And 300lbs heavy. You will never be able to make things fair between power adders and N/A combos. Two TOTALLY different animals.

4. PeteAdams

PeteAdams New Member

WTF???? Mark is that you??? Seriously though, comp is the innovators class.. They are never gonna let blowers in PS... But I am all for them in comp.. You only have your run at it for so long before you become your own worst enemy.... I actually would like to see more classes added with blowers and turbos like AA/A "5.5 lbs per cube", BB/A "7 lbs per cube", etc.... I always liked CC/A but It just doesn't seem right trying to go 7.0's at 3300 lbs, just seems like allot of mass traveling into a wall at 200+ MPH... But also some classes that favor bigger cube combos for turbos would be cool....:eek: I think you would see a few really cool combos come out of the wood work, just to still get their ass handed to them by Rambo in the final....:D That last part doesn't apply to J/A cars....lol

#4 PeteAdams, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  5. arnold3001

arnold3001 Member

It has already been tried... it was called Sport Compact racing... you know tuner cars... zoom-zooms! It's lame. Real race cars have carbs! Just ask Warren Johnson. :)

JEFF Arnold

6. Bruce H

Bruce H Member

I thought comp was about dreaming up the most powerful grenade you could envision and afford then seeing how long the fuse was.

Let it rip, the results should be entertaining.

Bruce H.

7. jim wiens

jim wiens New Member

At some point the faster boosted classes will get the index hit to a point where they will be non competitive. Who will want to run a class that has an mid 6 second index? ? Turbo and supercharger technology has been epic the last few years.we can bolt on a new Turbo. Or blower and pick up a 100 to 200 hp and the rest of you have to beat up the dyno to pick up 10 to 20.it's in a way its not fair but in the big picture the N/A classes are very flexible where you have many options the boosted ones do not

8. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

Hard to win with a car going 220 mph . Because of the win stripe . While running 220 mph against a 155 mph car you need to lift before you get to him . If you don`t cic will eat you up .

9. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Member

I've been thinking about AA/ND, and BB/ND classes for a while.
    We already have AA/AM, and BB/AM. If Comp added blowers on the FED's we would see increased car counts because the race cars already exist. In the NHRA Heritage Series 7.0Pro is mostly FED with blowers on alky, they can have over 30 cars at the March Meet, CHRR, and 7.0Pro events.
    Also a 2 year old group out of Texas has FED and Altereds blown on alky. The TexasBlownFuelAssoc has over 15 members, of which at least 8 are FED. And I've heard of other Nostalgia groups, with FED's forming in other parts of the country.
    A door car in Comp can run in over 10 different classes with motor type, motor size, weight, trans, carb changes, etc. A/ND and B/ND has only two classes to choose from.
    I would think this idea will cause much discussion !

Jon, from Hayden Wheels

10. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

What is wrong with this picture? Mark, you are one of the better known Comp blower guy's and you want your class thrown out of Comp....cause you have too much potential. If power adder's, as you put it, don't belong in Comp, for both safety and performance reasons, then why the hell are they?
    The 3300 lb car into the wall at 200 is a scary example of where it has already progressed to.

My suggestion triggered exactly what I thought it would, a look at where Comp would take blower technology, there would be a new composite 100 HP blower, every 6 month's.

Pro Stock still run carbs, why would that be?

11. Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson Member

power adders

Rob, Pro Stock still runs carbs because NHRA doesn't have to Smarts to control the goings on with a closed loop injection system and what can be done with it remotely or programming wise, the possibilities are endless with that whole scenario, you should know that already, get NHRA tech to explain your system to you some time and you will quickly understand why they still run carbs , and Danny Gracia and group know this as well, also the cars would be even quicker with this sort of full quarter mile fuel mapping and timing control, at some point NHRA is going to make the move to give them some kind new age technology.

12. Rick Troutner

Rick Troutner Member

Any device that can alter weather or altitude conditions should be allowed for all classes or none. I prefer none.

13. Backyard Bandit

I think it's a great idea. The car counts are dwindling. We need to get more cars to show up! Creating more options for people to use can only be good. If something is not done soon we won't have a place to race our cars. They are already cutting Comp from the open events because no cars show up. What's next, cutting it from national events? Then it will be the divisionals.

14. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

I don`t belive putting on 2 or 3 80 to 90 under cars will help . After a few races their index gets beat up they will quit comming . Comp is a hard game you gotta drive your ass off and have a fast car ever race . But most of all be luckey and be at the races a lot if you want to win .

15. Brandon Huhtala

Brandon Huhtala New Member

I have to tell you I disagree. I ran Jirka 2nd round at mission. I was on a 59 under run and looking in my mirror I could see him dumping before half track. They figure they can go 1.3 under. Should any index really be that fast? How can you race him.... you can't. And at a couple of thousand dollars a race is it really worth going, especially now days. It would be nice to know what races he is going to so we can save some money and stay at work.

16. ATC Racing

ATC Racing Member

Like Jon's Idea. Dragster diversity expanded. AA\NDA & BB\NDA as well?

Clack

17. comp 670

comp 670 Active Member

What Brandon says is a very valid concern and my main worry is safety. If I had the latest greatest engine and turbos in my car it would run 245 mph(or more)....Think about me running a 160mph car with me going that fast,it's just not safe.

18. Clint Neff

Clint Neff Well-Known Member

I have to say I disagree too. I havent researched it but id say in the last 10 years that theyve been adding classes ND, more turbos, Meth classes the car counts have probably went down cause there are only a handful of guys that want to tackle those classes(I applaud them cause I say they are not easy classes to run) few are fast. Then you take what brandon says and a 59 under car that should win races and lose to a guy that can go 1+ under and Im not surprised tons of guys have quit. Take nothing away from Jirka cause that was a stout run by all means but it doesnt make enough sense to make more classes with unknown potential. Making some sort of Pro Comp would make more sense to me. Just my thoughts.

19. boster58

boster58 New Member

All of the ford blower motors are legal in comp . Its just a matter of time . I personally no a guy who bought one of Larry Morgans mustangs and is putting a 5.4L 330ci Super Cobra Jet motor in it for comp with a stick. Stay tuned

Bo kenney