Blower or Not....All Classes

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Rob Harrison, Jun 7, 2011.

1. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

what is comp?

Your last sentence brings it home Stop technology from progressing

Lets get rid of some of the underpopulated classes and add some tuner classes.
    Front wheel drive in comp? I think those tuner drivers are crazy but then again I thought guys who drove front engine top fuelers were crazy.

Also Honda day sells out at atco

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357282

heres the flyer, http://www.atcoraceway.com/eventsandflyers.php

10,000 spectators $20.00 each $200K 300 race cars at $40 $12k
    They were turning them away at the gate.

I do not remember any lucas oil race in division 1 with that type of attendance. Any other division races like that.

2. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

Attendence has nothing to do with what kind of cars are racing. There is no advertising for Lucas Oil races. They advertise the Lucas Oil for Norwalk and fill the stands. There are more people at the Wednesday night grudge racing at the local track watching 16 second cars then there are at alot of points meets. 99% of potential fans could care less how many valves a motor has.

I think you have to be careful with this stuff. We all want more racers, but at the expense of running current racers out of the class? I always hear, "if you think it's so easy, then build one." I hate turbos. Why would I spend all my money on building a car I dont even like? If turbos and blowers are the way to compete in the future, I think you will see alot of guys quit before they ever built one of those cars.

3. I/D 744P

I/D 744P New Member

Did America quit before we made it to the moon, should we never progress, no more 3G 4G 5G. Should we all go back to 57 Chevy's. Cars come from the factories with turbos and superchargers and fuel injection, last carb came on a new car in what 86 or 87 almost 25 years ago. Splayed valve heads never came on a small block should we not allow them to race?

This is silly to even think-- isn't it. Progress happens all by itself you have to get onboard or get left behind.
    Progresive thinking will save Comp not sticking our head in the sand hopping it will all settle down and go away.
    JMHO

#63 I/D 744P, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  4. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

NASCAR uses carbs . They say its to keep the cars competive .

5. rognelson777

reply to Norwalk packed stands

6. arnold3001

arnold3001 Member

7. Div5Fan

Div5Fan Member

Lack of announcer enthusiasm has so much to do with what sucks the life out of divisional events. Brian Olson is the main reason the ADRL crowds get as jacked up as they do. He's awesome in the tower.

While NHRA's announcers are always informative and entertaining for the enlightened fan, they're not passionate enough for the casual fan.

#67 Div5Fan, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  8. Terry Spargo

Terry Spargo Member

9. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

Brian's suggestion, that the turbo (blower) generation of race car, specifically Comp car, will drive some of the current Comp teams out of Comp, simply must not happen. If this is true, then for the same reason that Nascar and Pro Stock are limited to carbs, Comp will have to follow, for the same reason, to "control" technology.

Imagine ALL race cars with a turbo on them, the sound of a 10,000 rpm small block, in the water and going down the track, will be gone, instead the whine of the turbo will be all that's left and that would be the end of Comp as we know it.....and that must not happen. I think there is way more to this control thing than we are discussing here, it'd be nice to get, say, Graham Light to comment on the corporate position that NHRA has to deal with. Let's face it, the carb control method is effective, it isn't a money issue, NHRA and Nascar are quite aware that the car's they are driving to work don't have carbs on them and quite possibly do have a turbo on them. The carb thing is deliberate and is used for marketing reasons and maybe for the reason that Brian has suggested.

The truth is, you can't replace the high winding sound of Pro Stock and Comp cars with the new fangled turbo cars and somebody once said (I think it was Don Gartlis) drag racing is all about the noise. New technology must not change the fabric of the sport, which once again speaks to Brian's concern and may be the very reason that carbs are in place.

10. rognelson777

nascar going fuel injection

in case you missed it, and it looks like you did, nascar sprint cup is going fuel injection for all the races in 2012.

11. Rob Harrison

Fuel injection, IMO, is a good thing, new technology, NOT the turbo step.

12. Backyard Bandit

You guys are missing the point that we need to get new racers to come into Comp. The only way to do that is to encourage new technology. Comp has the most technology driven classes in drag racing. Lets face it the older guys can't keep doing this forever. Don't we want to get the younger generation involved? The only way my son is involved in this is because we have a turbo car with fuel injection. I'll admit I can't even go down the track without him. It's a very fast changing world these days and we need to keep up with it.

13. Rick Troutner

Rick Troutner Member

The Differences between new motor technology and the old NA is way to wide. The natural divide will kill car count as the old will just go away. $ will dictate the change. New tech needs their own eliminator.

14. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

Technology I have a buick motor that has run in C/D .In its day it was killer but but now it would`nt run 30 under . But if we hung on a blower or turbo and outrun a A/D that would be technology no that would be a sin . It is not fair a turbo and a new index 90 under if that is where we are going screw racing .

#74 C Tanksley, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  15. Rick Troutner

Rick Troutner Member

I know exactly what an old Buick comp motor will do with a bottle on it. :)

16. Rob Harrison

This thread, Bob, addresses the new wave technology and what effect it will have on Comp. Making HP with air-flow improvements, 17 to 1, is far from easy and every bit as complicated as a blower combo, the problem is the "potential" of the blower stuff, if you don't have it in the near future, you might as well stay home. If Comp embraces the "bring the new guy's in" policy, Comp will lose more than it gains and I think Nascar and NHRA know that.

There's no easy solution, but Comp has to protect it's roots and that is making HP the hard way, one dyno pull at a time.

17. rognelson777

it is all about the technology

You just made a contradiction to your point to not bring in technology. You have a c/d motor that was tops in the class, how many years ago? and with the new technology in c/d, it cannot compete in current c/d.

If indexes are set correctly new classes will not hurt comp.

The alternate is to go back to 1974 and the old c/sm 1966 nova that i remember racing at atco dragway, leaving the line at 10,000 rpm, no wheelie bars, factory 4 speed and dual point distributor with accel super coil.

That was awesome to watch leaving the starting line.

Now we have msd liberty 5 speed clutchless, wheelie bars and learned we do not want the front end 3 feet in the air.

just saying technology marches on

18. comp 670

comp 670 Active Member

In my humble opinion this is impossible to do with a turbo index.....

Just a few years ago it was a incredible run if you went 6.40 in a turbo car.Now they are going 5.70's... Just think how long it will take a B/A or what ever to knock .70 off thier times.. The technology of turbos is just getting started in drag racing,the sky is the limit. Set the index properly today and next month the car is .80 under again. Just not fair to the N/A cars.

I'm all for new technology,it just needs to be able to be applyed evenly to all classes. A N/A combo that is sorted out "might" pick up 10 or 20 hp each year... A new turbo comes out and you could pick up 300hp..I have done exactly that. So even if the indexes start out even and fair they will get thrown out of whack very quickly as the new turbo technology gets figured out for drag racing.

#78 comp 670, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  19. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

Someone way early on in this thread summed it up pretty well and you can't argue with the facts... they already try this deal with the Sport Compact series. I remember there being 4 and 6 car fields after a while. The lack of interest from NHRA fans in turbo cars resulted in them being dumped into comp, thus providing bogus indexes and lowering car counts... as always, in my opinion.

20. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

The point was
    The point was same cid motor no turbo 4 ten better without a turbo . I f we added a turbo to the old buick we could outrun a A/D that is not technology .