Blower or Not....All Classes

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Rob Harrison, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Backyard Bandit

Adding a turbo IS modern technology! The way turbo cars perform so well is because of the modern engine management systems. You can run a turbo with a carburetor but to get the most benefit from it you need an EMS.

2. Casey Hall

Casey Hall Member

Didn't the Cajun Sportsnationals prove what increases car counts? Don't remember a whole lot of new names there either from ADRL or IHRA or anything else that's out there. Alot of the same names from the past 10 to 15 years in Comp if not longer.

#82 Casey Hall, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  3. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

After winning the div 4 race we could have went to tulsa a points race . We knew it would be slow there about 50 under for us . We also knew that Burno might show up because there was no div 5 race that weekend . We are not going to spend 1500 dollars to race a turbo car that could run 60 under no matter how bad the air is . I am not saying the rest of the cars are slow but we would have had a better chance running them . Yes the turbo cars has already took its toll on car count .

4. Shane Heckel

Shane Heckel Active Member

You hit the nail on the head! If the payout where more inline to what is spent to build a competitive comp car ,then you would see more new cars showing up to race!

5. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

If what Mark says here doesn't sum it up, then nothing will.

6. Bruce H

Bruce H Member

So make the national record the class index. Everybody works to improve. Sandbagging becomes something to help contain excess water.

Bruce H.

7. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

That could work if in qf and nat events records could be set . Extra points for setting a record .So if at anytime you run under the record that would be your new record . Something to think about no cic to the next round . SOUNDS LIKE FUN TO ME .

8. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

Been there, done that. Didn't work then and won't work now.

9. Bruce H

Bruce H Member

Would you please give your reasons why it wouldn't work. Every class would be about as equal as possible. I realise that not every car can run the record, but that should be everybody's goal. If you don't want to search for every tenth or hundreth there is always bracket racing.

Bruce H.

10. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

Bruce, at least the index system has a threshold.(-70). , the record doesn't.

Years ago a car would put down a perfect pass at mineshaft conditions and make ten people quit racing. I can say now at least there are many more classes that you can go to, more body cars then dragsters, but the index was put in to give more racers a better chance of winning. You still work on your stuff to make it better but still went to the races.

11. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

div 1 comp 20 car field

in case you did not notice only 20 cars showed for comp lodrs 1-2 only 33 cars at maple grove might as well stop qualifying and make it a all run field this way the teams will only have to show up saturday to race,maybe that way we can get full fields, sounds to me like comp is going the way of stock super stock and they will just have comp at 6 national events, 1 in each division because sponsor will not put up money if there is no need to qualify. might as well save your parts. we definitely do not need to get more interest from younger generation and imports with these type of car counts.

12. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

Propoganda.

Funny that none of the current turbo classes represent any of the 20 cars you mentioned at the D1 race this weekend.

13. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

They are waiting for a softer class from NHRA . A C/ED turbo that would be nice , let us throw in a 10 inch tire rule that should bring in a bunch of hard core racers ,the truth is there are a lot of classes to run . Money is tight that is all that is wrong . The truth is there are lots of comp racers out there that is not running right now but would if his money was better .I also might add would be fast too .

14. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

nascar testing fuel injection

FYI nascar sprint cup 4 manufacturers ford,gm toyota dodge to deliver to nascar officials at kentucky speedway this weekend cars with fuel injection installed so nascar can tech and test each car.

15. Rob Harrison

Couldn't resist, this thread represents the whole trip.....it's a tough arguement, a lot of good points are made here.....

If blower's are the way to go, then why do the majority hate them?

#95 Rob Harrison, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  16. Rob Harrison

17. Bruce H

Bruce H Member

Power adders in any form make it easier to make power. Not cheaper but easier. Getting the most out of a naturally aspirated engine takes lots of thought and dollars. Getting more out of a turbo or blower means turning the wick up a little. Can and is usually expensive also, but easier for hopefully one pass.

Having to learn everything over again is also a pain.

Bruce H.

18. Backyard Bandit

I really wish you guys who think a turbo is easy to make power with would try it. We've been banging our heads against a wall for 2 1/2 years and have just gotten to .3 under. Some soft index! By the way it isn't cheap either.

19. I/D 744P

I/D 744P New Member

I think I found that hidden screw on my turbo, I'm gonna twist on it next time testing I hope its conected to the wick!!

20. jim wiens

jim wiens New Member

That is a very ignorant statement!!!!! While the ''fast'' turbo and blower combos will never spend 40 hours to fit a set of rings.They spend a hell of a lot of time on the dyno.Do you know why the roots blowers aka Jirka are so fast ? davenport has made 100'sand 100's of dyno pulls testing blower mods, cams, manifolds timing curves,fuel systems,etc etc.Some of the real bad ass ''legal'' blowers are so highly developed and secret that some teams lease them and they are treated like a leased pro stock engine. You are supplied a fresh blower at the race and its collected at the end of the race. the turbo deal is the same do you know how many 1000's of hours of dyno development and track time it takes to get a consistent fast car ? Remember the C/AA pro charger class and how everyone freaked out when a very well funded team came out with one. cream cheese index and easy combo just turn the blower up to go fast how many are out there now ?