Comp 10 years ago.

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by David Eatom, Mar 13, 2017.

1. David Eatom

David Eatom New Member

Does it seem like comp has lost the Mystique the class had 10 plus years ago when it was the Pinnacle of sportsman racing with so many great veteran racers from this class. I believe the subtle rule changes over that time have caused just that .

#1 David Eatom, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  2. Shane Heckel

Shane Heckel Active Member

Lots of things have hurt Comp.....not 1 thing has lead to the lack of participation, rather a number of things. I will list a few and most racers will agree.....
    1- Limiting participation of National Events or not having the class at all races.
    (Hard to race if you live in the Western part of the USA) If you tell your customers to quit coming all of the time, they eventually will.
    2- Qualifying money or lack there of.....It wasn't much but it was something!
    3-The evolution of Top Sportsman and Top Dragster.....Haul ass for half the money and a quarter of the work.
    4-Work ethic of the younger generation......Lazy MF'ers! lol
    5-Payout SUCKS
    6-NHRA is no longer the only game in town......The folks who could afford to race Comp look at the class and payout and say "your joking right" I can build a (fill in the blank heads up car) for half the investment and race for 10 TIMES the cash!
    7- Politics.....NHRA has too many and other forms of racing don't
    8- Some guys bitch about parking (see #3)

I could go on and on and I'm not bashing anyone who stayed in the game, my heart is still in Comp, always will be.....It simply isn't feasible to build a Comp car these days.....And I totally understand this isn't a "Drag Radial/X275 board" but that is where the teams that can afford to race Comp and have some nuts end up.......We don't leave the driveway for a race that doesn't pay at least $5000.00 to win...Most pay $10,000.00 in x275......

I could ramble on forever, but I have a race to get ready for next weekend .

3. Todd Hall

Todd Hall New Member

Shane in x275 who puts up the purse and do they pay qualifying money. Yes this is a comp forum but it would be good to know how other forms of racing do things that could possibly help comp.

4. Brian Browell

Brian Browell Active Member

Shane what is the payout on back ?? 1st 2nd rd just wondering.

guitar builder likes this.
  5. BenHolt

BenHolt Member

The RTRA is a fairly popular radial association in Texas and surrounding areas. These are their payouts. This is in line with a lot of other local radial series around the country. The bigger races (Lights Out, etc) payout more, but only happen once or twice a year

PAYOUT:

Pro Drag Radial
    $250 Entry
    $5,000 TO WIN
    $2,000 TO R/U
    $500 SEMIS
    $250 QTRS

Limited Drag Radial
    $200 Entry
    $2,500 TO WIN
    $750 R/U
    $400 SEMIS
    $200 QTRS

X275
    $250 Entry
    $5,000 TO WIN
    $1,000 TO R/U
    $500 SEMIS
    $250 QTRS

Limited 275
    $150 Entry
    $1,500 TO WIN
    $750 R/U
    $300 SEMIS
    $150 QTRS

Shane Heckel likes this.
  6. Shane Heckel

Todd, the purse is payed by the track, by the front gate and sponsors.....The race that you came and watched at Northstar payed $5000.00 to Win and you seen the spectator count....

Brian, I went out 3rd round at the "Lights Out" Event in Georgia @ SGMP and was payed $500.00 cash .... Semis payed $750.00 each. Runner Up made $2000.00 and the winner made $10,000.00
    Entry fee was $200.00 per car and it was $60.00 per crew member to get in for a 4 day pass......
    BTW the "Radial vs. The World" class Winner made $50,000.00 and the Runner up was $5,000.00 There was a reported 37,000 fans on Saturday alone.......

What I'm saying is that NHRA needs to look at what is going on around them and remember that Nitro isn't the only thing that sells tickets......Comp is not the only thing suffering, take DSR, Force and Kallita out of the mix and they couldn't open the gates...Not sure what the answer is, but maybe they can ask the tracks that put on the other forms of racing, they can pay a good purse and make money at the same time!

guitar builder and FLAT like this.
  7. Shane Heckel

Ben, The race in Memphis next weekend and the following weekend in Tulsa both have really good purses ($10,000 to win in x) but Tulsa is Free Entry!

guitar builder likes this.
  8. Shaun Vincent

Shaun Vincent Member

That payout isn't much better then a national race in Comp. If you add contingency you get about $10,000 to win a national depending on who you claim. If you win 1st round you get $450. For a divisional race the payout is a joke, but you can win about $3,000 with $160 entry fee. No question NHRA payout isn't that good but it will still cost a lot of money to build those radial, power adder cars that race for the big money. So all in all if I wanted to quite comp and run one of those radial classes it would cost the same or more to build a new car, race half the time, and travel twice as much because there are limited races around my area. For all that, the payout wouldn't be worth it. It would be more beneficial to go pro mod, but with either class I am not sure I want to crash that much.

guitar builder and Clint Neff like this.
  9. Shane Heckel

I'm just stating facts here, not trying to convince anyone to come to the dark side. If you enjoy what you do, by all means have fun, but there are other forms of racing out there that is not struggling like Comp is......BTW I haven't crashed yet and I only have $60,000 in my car race ready.... I can also race every weekend if I want too and not travel more than 250 mile to do it. As for this statement "For all that, the payout wouldn't be worth it" Have you ever seen $50,000.00 CASH on the decklid of a car? I have and it is fairly impressive! lol

10. Shaun Vincent

Shaun Vincent Member

Shane,
    You are correct, I was just stating that the payouts isn't that much of a difference to switch. If I lived down south then yes, it might make sense. That is probably one reason why NHRA racing is dying in the south and Texas because of those high dollar races.

Those racers would never run comp anyways.

The racers we need to go after are the teams that are already at all the NHRA events with 3 to 4 cars. People like Defrank, Emmons brothers, Cumming and all those Moser cars, Anthony Bongiovanni, PC Richardson sponsored cars, etc, etc. To get those guys to run comp, we need to get the "Mystique" back. Those guys should want to run comp and compete at a higher level. Those guys have done a lot in bracket racing, lets see how they do when they have to get to the finish line first to win.

So I guess you can call this a "call out." The water is warm in comp.

#10 Shaun Vincent, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  11. rognelson777

rognelson777 Member

I think you may want to ask Sal Biondo why Anthony bongiovoni does not race comp, Sal has driven some of his cars and probably has some insight. Anthony mentioned running comp a few years ago and never did, I wonder why not.
    Also Anthony is running factory stock heads up class now.
    22 heads up stockers at gainesville, 17 comp cars.

12. DE3

DE3 Active Member

My .02. While I think that the drag radial and outlaw stuff is pretty cool, it is more like Comp than most want to admit. I think eventually the costs associated with it will catch up. The outlaw 10.5 and RVW teams are almost certainly spending the same or more as a decent comp team. Once the playing field gets leveled a little with more teams catching up, the quest will start to squeeze that little extra out of them, ala Comp and PS. That is exactly what started driving costs up in those classes when the field caught up. We are friendly with 1 of the, if not the top runners in X-275 and I see what they go through to stay competitive. They've changed their combo 3 times in the last 3 years and are always at it. I feel like that will eventually wear off on a lot of the teams trying to keep up. Keep in mind, that in relative terms, those classes are pretty new and a lot of the crowds may like it for that reason. Part of it may also be the ability to be standing on the starting line and lined against the fence. That's a whole other conversation if one of those cars god forbid spits some parts out in the water or winds up in one of those crowds. Regardless, it will be interesting to see where they are in another 10 years or so.

TONY STEPHENSON likes this.
  13. ken reich

ken reich Member

Are the class rules posted anywhere??

14. Shane Heckel

Ken, look up x275 Drag Radial on Facebook....
    Like Don said x275 is in many ways like Comp with the rules with the exception that it is heads up racing . The rules are kept close with weights and if 1 combination get an distinct advantage then that combo is brought back to the others...We really enjoy it, but it is a lot of work and is very rewarding at the same time.

15. jeremytanksley

jeremytanksley New Member

Shane is right. Comp doesn't have an edge anymore. And I don't see big budget stock and superstock racers coming in because they would have from the beginning if they really liked Comp. Apparently they don't, and didn't for various reasons. So no, they're not coming in even if you gave them a class.

There is no incentive to run Comp. I can elaborate if need be.

16. Frank Aragona Jr.

Frank Aragona Jr. Active Member

I can compare apples to oranges all day long and make whichever one I like sound like the better choice.
    Bottom line Comp is a great class. THERE IS NO OTHER CLASS LIKE IT IN EXISTENCE. The payouts are not better anywhere else as Shaun has shown above. The rules have not changed much at all and for the most part and they are better for the class as a whole, maybe not as individuals because human nature tends to make us self serving at times.
    If you love the class and what its about and are willing to commit some money but mostly hard work then you WILL have fun and can win just as any other class or sanction. If you do it correctly your odds to win are actually better than most categories.

There are some that love to be haters of a certain class or NHRA itself. NHRA & Comp are not perfect but nothing ever is. In any organization or group you will NEVER have everyone happy.
    NHRA has been around for 66 years and it is the founding father of Drag Racing organizations, PERIOD. Many have tried to emulate it and the reality is, NONE have.
    Are there local organizations that are fun, ABSOLUTELY, there always has been.
    I remember when I was a kid racing with my dad, local tracks had modified eliminator weekly programs and eventually comp eliminator programs but 8 or 9 out 10 of those guys ultimate goals was to race on the NHRA level. I'm pretty sure its still the same or at least close if you asked the people running the other and local organizations. If they say no my guess for the most part is that they have reasons that limit them from doing so.

Also lets stop the bullshit about the cost because the reality is you can actually build a very competitive Comp car for certain classes with a lot less money than many other categories. It all depends on how hard you want to try. Comp is for people who enjoy ingenuity, hard work, competition, culmination and being around some great people with the same ideals.
    I agree with Shaun on a call out but mine goes to EVERYONE. I have been involved in NHRA drag racing all my life. I've had memories and experiences that I would not trade for anything. I have met many great people that have become very good friends and family to me. Anyone one who has done it knows this is true. Anyone one that hasn't will find out quickly if they do.

Good luck, be healthy and be safe to everyone this year!

17. jeremytanksley

Frank, I disagree to a degree.

Yes, Comp is fantastic, but it's dying. So let's be honest with ourselves and appreciate that it isn't exactly peachy right now. We keep wanting to change the rules to appease everyone, but we still won't fix the part that pisses people off. We'll run Comp when we can, and I'm suggesting all this from a loyal perspective - so I don't want anyone to mistake my intentions.

All in all, the payout is pathetic comparable to what one puts into it. Yes, as Frank noted, some combos are more affordable than others, true - but say that to a guy who's already invested in an up and running operation, and keeps winning less and less money when he wins, yet he's spending more and more to continue onward campaigning it. It would be redundant to say he shouldn't be doing what he's doing. He's simply spending what it takes to stay competitive, but he's already invested into it so he keeps on with what he has. This is natural and isn't unusual.

Fact, I can compete in the regular local Saturday bracket race series and win the same or more prize money in one day than I can win at a three day Comp division race including contingency. THAT'S SAD!!! THAT'S WHAT MAKES THIS ALL A HARD SELL!!

In fact, that's what keeps some of the big budget stock and super stock guys from coming in. They've said, "I can win just about the same money in Super Stock and not have to run my car as hard." Or, "I'd have to spend so much more money to compete in Comp to be competitive, and run for the same money - it's not worth it." There you go!!! Comp doesn't have an incentive anymore other than...well...it really doesn't other than it's really badass for some. Granted, you won't get some of those racers anyhow bc it's way more work to run Comp - and I appreciate this fact.

It's just hard for some to swallow spending what we spend only to run for barely seven grand if you win a national event after contingency. I don't care where the extra funding comes from, but that's what it's going to take to revive this category. Rule changes will do nothing but piss off the people that already have an up and running operation, and/or it will only appease a few.

#17 jeremytanksley, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Brian Landies and Shane Heckel like this.
  18. Shane Heckel

Sorry I ruffled some feathers, I was trying to point out issues that seems to detour people from building Comp cars. Looks like some have it figured out on how to save it. Good luck!

19. jeremytanksley

Looks like you have that mustang figured out. It's a bad bitch. And I like all this ass kicking you've been doing. Keep the momentum going my friend.

TONY STEPHENSON and Shane Heckel like this.
  20. Will Hanna

Will Hanna Administrator

well the other 800 lb gorilla in the room is the perception the class is dying. who wants to make the investment in a class that may be on it's way out?