Comp 10 years ago.

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by David Eatom, Mar 13, 2017.

1. rognelson777

rognelson777 Member

Frank, you may be surprised by this, i agree with you on everything except the competition/rules part.

1 temporary index hits, when someone asks me why our index changed between rounds and our competitor did not, most day that's stupid, you have a fast car so you get penalized. Other typesof racing Heads up classes do not get penalized till after the race is completed if at all.
    Sportsman ladder, why. Build a fast car so you have a tougher 1st round opponent? Maybe the Pros should go to a sportsman ladder as they are having problems with car count. Also playing the comp ladder is out of hand.
    Full tree, comp expects part time racers to be better on the starting line than full time professional racers. Go pro handicap tree or allow delay boxes, yes they do make parts to do it with a stick shift car.
    Adjust indexes after weekend based on performance versus weather conditions, it is 2017 and we have sae correction factor at our fingertips at the race track.
    My 2 cents

ken reich likes this.
  2. Frank Aragona Jr.

Frank Aragona Jr. Active Member

Jeremy,
    I wish someone would explain to me what the "haters", for lack of a better word, see that is so different now than in the past using. Compare as many change periods as you want but not using your opinion. Just a comparison of the changes. I respect everyone of you as my fellow competitors and my feathers are not ruffled but PLEASE just look at it.

3. Frank Aragona Jr.

Like I said, your apple is better than the orange! Comp is a great class but its tough in the sense that you have to be altogether creative, innovative, hard working, drive both ends of the track well and be strategic. No offense to you or anyone else but in TD you only need to be 2 out of those, the others are optional not necessary.

ken reich and Greg Schenck like this.
  4. 377 D/A

377 D/A Member

David, because you like me have not raced a comp car in the last 2 months have no business commenting about any of the topics on this board. Please try to find another outlet for your opinions. Your cooperation in this matter will be appreciated. Thanks

Ian

5. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

BWAAAAAAA--HAAAAAAAA--HAAA!!... here comes that ACTIVE COMP RACER thing again....

6. Frank Aragona Jr.

Although I'm not sure who's words you are insinuating those are but you did say you will not run comp so why such anger?

Clint Neff likes this.
  7. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

I would bet frank feals the same way I do. You have a few whining ass people telling us comp racers that our shit is all fucked up and they have no intention of spending any money in 2017 to run comp reguardless of any of the rules. If you have a decent idea or something interesting to say go ahead. If you just want to nag and bitch shut the fuck up already. And yes my feathers are ruffled cause basically you are saying if I run comp I am a dumbass. And if you feel that way you can kiss my ass.
    Clark Smiley

SEAN DODD and FLAT like this.
  8. cervelli7

cervelli7 Member

I agree with Franks statement. This is the foundation that comp was built on,and Frank did this perfectly over the winter. What an accomplishment.

9. Frank Aragona Jr.

This comment speaks volumes!
    Clark its actually hard to figure out what their intentions are!

10. Racer3207

Racer3207 New Member

The last part of this statement is exactly why Comp has been my favorite class since I was old enough to fully understand it. It's absolutely amazing what these vehicles are capable of.

I am finally in the early stages of putting a comp car together, in one of those certain classes that costs a lot less money. I won't be on the track this year, but I'm hoping to be out there next year!

11. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

Racing season needs to start soon!!!! :)

43 days until Indy!

12. SmileyRacing

Brian Bob,don't know your full name so I guessed. I agree with a lot of what you say. But I would like to see you out racing comp been as you are so attached to it. And your financial ideas I have no knowledge of how to get any of that done so I chose to not reply to any of it.
    Clark Smiley

13. Frank Aragona Jr.

That's great to hear Andrew. If there is anything I or any of the SRAC reps can do just give us a call.

14. Frank Aragona Jr.

Please copy and paste where I have told anyone "they are wrong" or "well you aren't even a comp racer".

If you have taken out this that's it Franks way or the highway you are way further off base then I thought and nothing further needs to be said on that.

If you have read everything I have certainly not ignored anything you said. I don't talk in circles. I asked for opinions to evaluate what the majority of racers think. You gave your opinion and as I said previously, I appreciate EVERYONE who has. That's what we are looking for. What happens with you and a few others is when I give my PERSONAL opinion back and it differs from yours or theirs, the choice becomes to throw stones and get angry. You only see what is posted on here but the truth is the opinions posted on here are about 5% of the feedback we have received but that's what you lock onto. Why would I debate that with you? You will only say that I am making it up or tell me its my buddies giving me the input. Exactly what I set out to do with my posts is increase & create communication, at which it is succeeding.
    The SRAC representatives volunteer and then are voted in by the racers so please feel free to put your name in the mix, get voted in and work to help the cause. Before you even say it I'm sure you will have an answer or excuse to why you wont and it will most likely blame someone else like me.

15. SmileyRacing

I will say that I have never voted on any srac rep or seen a ballot.
    And frank what is the other 95% saying. I feel left out of that info

Clark Smiley

16. Frank Aragona Jr.

Clark, it is in my division. It Is put out by our division director and I have actually contacted all my guys each time its open, which is every 2 years.
    I am getting a lot of people calling who would rather not participate on the forum and I understand that. Most people are like me and you that will race with the rules in front of them. The opinions that I hear are somewhat all over the place like we see here. Surprisingly there are a lot of people, who we have never seen or have not seen in a while, out there with cars that are trying hard to get out and race this year & next because they love Comp. Some ask why I bother with this but interestingly enough this has all been for the good. I truly feel that the communication effort has created some inspiration and excitement for Comp and it looks like it will increase participation this year. All I can do is hope that it transpires into it.

17. David Eatom

David Eatom New Member

In 10 plus years Frank for you to say (quote) the rules have not changed much at all ). Is not correct. I'm am one of those racers with a current license 20 plus years with car and hauler race ready parked but like others why would a racer go to a so-called good air race with a -50 under or less car when index hits raise to -65 because there happens to be more -60 cars than not he has no chance at winning or tunning up his oppenets index stopping the well needed index hits that over history where the great equalizer in comp this RULE CHANGE has had more unforeseen negatives than positives on car count. The altitude correction factor index hits 2007 RULE CHANGE mid year giving index hits to classes that at large where not correct devastating car counts out west and some the east.. they need to hit there altitude correction for that class not the index unless the run is -61 under sea level index. Pre 2007 these where fun races well attended. Now personal index RULE CHANGE the tentacles of this thing make no sense to the magarity . It will probably hurt comp long term making more cars sit out after hits the benefits will dwindle away what's next Mulligans buy backs you at least raise money that way. NHRA will win either way if the class becomes prosperous or withers away under others leadership were they have no liability. Take care David

FLAT and Shane Heckel like this.
  18. Frank Aragona Jr.

Hi David,
    If I didn't say it I guess I should have said I don't feel the rules changed much. I have been racing through pretty much all of the changes throughout the years and found a way to be competitive but the fact is not everyone can so changes are made to try and adjust. I believe it is still very much fun, I wouldn't do it of it wasn't.

If I remember correctly, the main reason you stopped racing was because of the altitude correction factor index hits?
    If I am correct doesn't the PI system pretty much alleviate that?

I'm sorry but don't we want NHRA to "win" which I would say succeed is a better word?

19. David Eatom

David Eatom New Member

Yes Frank the altitude Factor index hits were a thorn to me and many others losing index over and over from passes that the ET correction was not accurate - not correct - not possible -no way - you name it is deflating... I do not see how you say the personal index system stops bogush indexes hits our makes them ok. and if so would it be the same for the so-called good Air Race rule... Yes Frank I agree you have been able to stay competitive with these rule changes... I too hope comp succeeds Reinventing it is not the answer changing its appearance maybe so. David

20. Frank Aragona Jr.

I understand not agreeing with the correction but still I think the PI helps you be safe from those hits for at least .10 but I'm not going to argue it.
    I would love to see you bring that car out and race with us again. I think you will still have fun.