Comp engines

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by cory, Jan 11, 2011.

1. cory

cory New Member

Does anyone lease engines for comp racing? Or does everyone just buy there engines? I work for a engine builder out in North Carolina that builds engines for cup teams. We build Toyota engines and R07 engines. I would love for the shop to build a comp engine either with a TRD or a R07 but I think the cost to sell one would be to high for the market. I really don't know what a good comp engine goes for. You could get up to a 4.210" bore safely, and a 8.900" to maybe a 8.850" deck height. Both blocks are 4.500" bore spaceing.

2. newdragsterguy

newdragsterguy New Member

A competitive comp motor from patterson will run 30K or so. SOme guys pay a LOT more depending on what they want and there goals.

3. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

What kind of numbers does these motor`s make hp per inch and what rpm .

4. mark markow

mark markow Member

i'll take 2 . ive seen the used engines on his site for nearly double that.

5. newdragsterguy

there are two on his site right now. small cubic inch motors freshened up for 25K on average.

6. cory

cory New Member

A cup engine right now can make around 865 to 885hp depending on the dnyo. Nascar has a 9400 rpm limit but we can turn 10200 rpm. This engine combo is with a single carb 12:1 comp, soild cam, and 850 carb. We can not go below a 9.00" deck height and no bigger then a 4.185 bore. Plus we don't rebuild the engine untill about 750 miles are on it. I feel we can make around 950 to 1000 hp depending on engine size.

7. mark markow

mark markow Member

i'm not knocking those engines , but they are wedge engines, not in same league as a 4.5" b/s. RO7 or toyota cup engines. that stuff would be 60k plus.

8. TobyG

TobyG New Member

Foreskin? Is that you?

This guy isn't just some jackass off the street. He worked under Darin Morgan for a couple years. Pretty sharp cat.

9. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

You won't make 750 miles turning 10200 rpm. Damn that's 3000 runs.

How many people on here would buy Tanksley's motor for $25,000.

10. cory

cory New Member

Hey Toby,
    How have you been? Yeah it's the same forskin. Thank you the nice words, Darin help me alot.

Greg Schenck,
    Before Nascar change the rules, we're turning the engines 10,200 rpm. We would rebuild the engine after about 750 miles. Nascar change the rules about around 2006, we now can only run 9400 rpm to 9600 rpm depending on the gear Nascar gives us for the track for that weekened.

11. JJKay

JJKay New Member

foreskin, lol!!!

BUT REALLY, IS THIS TECHNOLOGY GOOD FOR COMP ($)?

12. newdragsterguy

There is a guy in Illnois or INdiana that takes the SB 2.2 Sprint cup heads for sale by the teams and does more port work and changes a couple things to make them ready for drag racing. He gets like 2K to do it. THe only issue that I can see that would need changing is the profile of the camshaft.

13. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

Patterson motors for $30K... Tanksley's motor for $25K... was somebody serving that weird Kool-Aid on New Year's Eve??.. or should I say, where does the line start..

14. bvb racing

bvb racing Member

your right charlie a good motor from allen patterson can run 65-70k with all his updated tech

15. cory

cory New Member

Is Patterson selling SB2 engines for 60 to 75k. Are the engines new SB2's or are they old cup engines just rebuild to the comp secs for that giving class? Is there anyone just leasing engines out? For 60 to 75k what do you get with that? How much does a rebuild cost? Someone might be better off just leasing engines from someone then buying them out right. I heard a good Pro Stock engine lease program goes for about 1.5 million a year, is this correct? If this is correct then it cost over $71,000 event to lease an engine. A Nascar cup engine lease program goes for about 3.5 million a year, that comes out to be over $91,000 per race. How many runs do you go before you rebuild an engine in comp? Or how many engines do you buy in a year? If you run 11 events with two engines, then it cost about $11,000 per event. That is if the engines cost 60k.

16. mark markow

mark markow Member

they are not reworked cup engines. the current stuff uses a comp specific port design sb-2 head. sheet metal intake low deck 8.2 block , some wet sump , some are dry sump. depending on the class, they may be 1 or 2 4bbl,s. and i don't know of any leasing programs out there.

17. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

55 under in bad air and 70 under in good air.:D

18. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

It is not legal in our class c/d . Most everybody has one good motor and it lasts quite a while . So for comp guys, your cost numbers are a little overly stout .

19. TobyG

TobyG New Member

Guys, Cory isn't a bullshitter..even though the nickname might suggest otherwise. A bit of background on the guy..I was working at Kip Martins shop early 90's This kid...literally...walks into our shop and tells us he wants to work on race engines and will start by just sweeping the floors. We took him up on the offer and every day Cory would show up and work his ass off. Start the 'Rockies' theme now. After a couple of weeks..he started helping Darin work on cylinder heads. He worked his ass off and now as you can probably tell, he is involved in the NASCAR arena doing cylinder heads. He has probably forgotten more about cylinder heads than we will ever know. Not that Cory is forgetful, just saying he has had alot of experience in cylinder heads for his age.

There might be a good opportunity for the right Comp team with what he is suggesting.

As far as the nickname....keep in mind this was early 90's and he was early 20's at the time. One morning he shows up at the shop with a new haircut..the 'bowl' cut. I looked at him and told him that it looked like a foreskin. The nickname stuck.

20. cory

cory New Member

Toby,

I forget a lot of things, just ask my wife!! To me guys a SB2 going for 60-75k is a little high. If its making at 2.7 hp per cubic inch, with say a 357 you would be making 963hp. Now is this with a single carb or two? What block are they using for a 8.200 deck height? Is this the old pro stock truck block design?