Comp engines

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by cory, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Terry Spargo

Terry Spargo Member

I can confirm that for sure...:D
    Terry

2. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

You need to talk to Todd to get the best price on a motor .LOL Our motor cost more than our whole operation tow rig and everthing put together . Having a good motor is like having Tom Bradey on your football team .

#42 C Tanksley, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  3. Dave Ring

Dave Ring Member

There you go with the football references again. But what makes Brady so good is that the Pats try to get him about a gazillion-and-a-half receivers that he can throw to, but nobody's ever heard of before-it's hard for defenses to cover a gazillion-and-a-half receivers. That is why when it came down to Randy Moss or the gazillion-and-a-half no-name receivers, the Pats traded Moss!

Oh yeah, one other thing Charley-having a good clutch guy on your team doesn't hurt either!

4. Terry Spargo

Terry Spargo Member

Mr. Tanksley, I did talk to a Todd, ran 80k at Atco and 20K in Pamona...lol :rolleyes:

5. cory

cory New Member

377 D/A,

Yes you would be correct on where I work at. I worked for Triad too before going over to PME. The Chops sticks are very cool to get the manifolds off.

6. Chad Speier

Chad Speier Member

Darin is a unique man and they broke the mold with him. Several of us who are lucky to have him spend some time with him, or tought us something, have for sure advanced our curve.

OK, my 02 on the heads in Comp. The older stuff, now way. The exhaust is HUGE, due to run out of a full exhaust. The exit is usually around 118-120% of the valve OD and has a slow exit velocity. The intake can be made just as good as anything out there.

I just received a late JGR core last week. It IS Comp worthy with a few tweaks. .625 corner radius, velocity is right, flows a ton of air. Exhaust is small. The bowl is small, needs area. The exhaust throat is small, needs area. However, it's a really nice start. I would bet my left arm it's a CFE designed port.

7. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Is Roush-Yates dominating PS yet?

8. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

Hey Dave when can we go through your emails together again?

9. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

[QUOTE=377 D/A;

, "it is really hard to dyno one of these dumb things. the hardest part of it is getting it controlled up high when they really start to jam. but if you load it down to hard, say so long to the ring lands. "

Ian, do you ever test at 1,000 rpm/sec? We have done it, but the data is somewhat scattered, although it is clearly easier on the motor and takes just a few seconds for a pull. If there is a way to stabilize the data, it would be the way to go.....

10. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

Dynos suck they wear out good motors testing on slick tracks same thing . Wait and watch the stockers ask they know and they will be glad to help .

11. Arnie

Arnie New Member

I like this!!!
    thanks Charles

#51 Arnie, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  12. Bob Book

Bob Book Active Member

In hindsight I think my little shop working part time di as good a job for the Humphrey's as as the Roush/Yates empire did for them last year.

13. steve1724

steve1724 Member

Bob, I think your right... I'm wondering which head they are trying to use? We know Larry Morgan is using the mirror head.

14. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

My Bradey motor lost to Jet not fair .The sea hawk lost to a bear not fair . Football is over over its time to race . Sad day .

15. newdragsterguy

newdragsterguy New Member

Whats the sense of having a motor that will go 60 or 80 under. No one in comp will run on that fast because of the CIC. there is so much talk of guys shutting off early rather then take the hit. And when the index hitters do come out everyone complains. Not to step on toes. I am fairly old school. but when todd patterson was running the United Speed World Berettas in the late 80's. He kept beating the index to death. So he would swtich classes. So having a 80 under motor makes no sense. Might as well go run top dragster.

16. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

You have to be joking right .

17. comp 670

comp 670 Active Member

Actually,that is exactly the way comp is now.. Nobody will take the stripe for fear of cic and if you do you are called a idiot and looked down upon by other racers...Seeing the final at pomona was awsome,finally a race to the stripe!!!

18. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

That is not true there was a lot of racing to the stripe .I don`t belive that there has ever been a final round where a guy gave up the stripe . Except when you know you can`t catch the guy . If you are down 11 on cic and the other car is out on you . You would be a fool to hit the index knowing you can`t catch the guy .Most of comp racers know if they can get the stripe .Another thing ever time a comp racer runs T/D or T/S they win a lot of races .Comp is full of good drivers .

19. newdragsterguy

newdragsterguy New Member

Not discounting the drivers in comp there are alot of good ones. Alot of pro stock guys came from comp. Joe Amato the former top fuel driver ran a modified eliminator for years before going to top fuel. Quite a few comp guys gave Pro Stock Truck awesome competition while it was still a pro category.

#59 newdragsterguy, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  20. Chad Speier

Chad Speier Member

All I can say is if you don't understand Comp, no reason to try and figure it out. This class is full of guys who use strategy along with power to win. It's become a science, and very difficult to grasp and understand.