Comp engines

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by cory, Jan 11, 2011.

1. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

I am glad we cleared it up,comp drivers are the best . Comp racers don`t hit there index without a good reason . Most of the time when a driver lifts is because they feel like they can win without taking much cic . Kinda like the same reason nfl teams don`t try 60 yard field goals . If you miss a long field goal it could be bad news . Like not making the playoffs ,one game short of the playoffs everbody says the coach is dumb get rid of him . The same if a comp driver hits the index and loses by 30 ft bad driving . pro Dave will like that one another football

#61 C Tanksley, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  2. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

You definetly don't get it.

As far as racing to the stripe in the final round of the World Finals, other than "maybe" Rampy, every Comp racer in the country would have their foot on the floor to the stripe.

3. newdragsterguy

newdragsterguy New Member

You guys discount nascar engine builders. They can turn 9400 -10000 rpm for 500 miles. They put the RPM cap on nascar because Rousch was turning motors 10500. We have to do it for 8 seconds in most cases. Greg Anderson when he dominated pro stock a few years ago when he won EVERYTHING. The article was in Super Stock magazine but he said he took a different approach when it came to motors in pro stock. Which gave him the performance edge he had for 2 seasons. He went and got a couple engine builders from NASCAR. There philosphy was 500 miles is tough.....it only has to hold together for 7 seconds NO PROBLEM.

I have an idea to get in legal B/DA and do nothing but tank the index.

4. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

I don`t discount NASCAR eng builders . I don`t belive there is any comp racers that do . I just know i will never be able to afford to run nascar so i don`t think about it . I belive that B/DA index will get hit this year anyway . So save your money on tanking that index .

5. Rob Harrison

Comparing Nascar motors to Pro Stock motors, is like saying a 800 HP diesel is the same 800 HP in a gas motor. Nascar engine builder's are among the smartest in motorsport, but they don't have to concern themselves with rate of acceleration....that's everything in a drag motor. When Greg kicked everyone's ass, he had composite rods, aluminide wrist pins, etc. he was the reason minimum weights were instituted for Pro Stock.

The fact that Nascar runs 10,000 rpm for 500 miles isn't even on the radar screen for meaning anything, as I said earlier in this thread, 2, 800 HP motors, built for drag racing ,can be a tenth a part on the track, because they accelerate differently.

Not that this will ever happen, but if you were to take a state of the art, 10,500 rpm, 358 Nascar motor and put it in Charlie Tanksley's C/D, I'd be willing to bet it would run -40 under, at best.

6. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

Rob as you know there is more to a comp car than just the motor .The car itself has to work with the hp that you have . Just the spring press on the hoppers alone could cause tire shake . The clutch and when and where it locks up has a lot to do with the run .The weight of the driver beeing just 10 lbs heavier would cause a problem . We have been running that car for years .we have a new car but we are smart enough to know it will take a year to get it worked out, tune up wise . When i hear that somebody is going to drag some old nascar motor out put it in a dragerst and upset comp makes me laugh . I thought he was joking at first but now i am not sure .

7. 377 D/A

377 D/A Member

charlie i thought you said your clutch man could be dialed in after two runs, what is all this about taking a year to get a car figured out? and as far as the whole cup motor for comp thing goes its this: by the time you got a cup motor to run and be competitive in comp it wouldn't be a cup motor anymore. i think that is fair enough to say. right?

8. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

Brian with a clutch its fast faster fastest and then tire shake . A good clutch man knows where they are at with running a dragerst .

9. Rob Harrison

"and as far as the whole cup motor for comp thing goes its this: by the time you got a cup motor to run and be competitive in comp it wouldn't be a cup motor anymore. i think that is fair enough to say. right?"

That pretty much sums it up.......

10. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Great post.

Any word as to when Humphreys is debuting the Roush-Yates piece?

11. 377 D/A

377 D/A Member

i don't think ever now but that is just what i heard, you know how that is.
    ian

12. Chad Speier

Chad Speier Member

Mike, if that's your name, this is by far the stupiest thing I've read this year on this site. Again, you don't understand Comp. Nothing worse than a guy in Comp that doesn't understand it.

I will say this, looking at your engine you have in your signature, you better find WAY more power to tank anything.

13. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

Thanks Chad i have been trying hard to clean up my post lately .