Comp entries 2015 and 2017

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by rognelson777, Mar 29, 2018.

1. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

After many statements on this forum that Personal Index is good for comp. I decided to count the number of entries in comp in 2015. the last year of no personal and 2017, the 2nd year of personal index's.

Here are the numbers
    #.............Nationals Divsionals
    2015...........469 ,,,,,,,,,,,,694
    224 entered drivers

2017.............345............. 661
    205 entered drivers

124 less entries at national events

33 less entries at divisionals

So NHRA had 157 less entries in 2017 versus 2015

Draw your own conclusions

guitar builder likes this.
  2. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

No way you can count that high! There is one less I know of for sure that is using shoe polish!
    Clark Smiley

guitar builder and FLAT like this.
  3. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

Are you sure that’s because of personal index or just an overall decline in racer turnout across the board in all classes? It seems to be a trend, not just in Comp.

4. arthodges706

arthodges706 Active Member

Dude, your frickin killing me. Obviously you have a lot of time on your hands. Did you do the numbers on every other class? How bout checking other series, NASCAR is down, World of Outlaws are down. Its called money, This crap runs on money not gasoline. Frickin golf is down, over 40% of private golf courses have closed in this country in the last 10 years. Again don't know your name, i honestly cant believe your nephew quit 100% because of the personal index. This definitely is not why we are down, remember the change was to try to bring back some competitors not detour them.
    How bout doing the math on why to run comp instead of why not to run comp. BTW: You are starting to piss me off. Tell him Raymond, Alan, straighten this guy out

5. Backyard Bandit

I can speak for why we switched to Top Dragster. The personal index was the last straw. Comp has been watered down to as close to being a bracket race as possible without being one. There is no advantage to being #1 qualifier. If anything, it is a detriment. We ended up slowing our car down for eliminations because it was too fast. All we kept worrying about was not hurting our index. Getting penalized for going too fast in the early rounds for the rest of the event was another reason. What other sport does that! Yes in Top Dragster you can lose for going too fast in elims. but next race is a new one. We can go as fast as we want in qualifying without any worries. My brother likes Comp but sees how it is going and is just making suggestions for making it more appealing. This thread was just pointing out the facts.

6. rognelson777

Art, I wanted to see if my opinion about Personal index was wrong, it was good for comp or I was right and it was decreasing car count. So I decided to run the numbers so we could see what really happened with personal index. It looks like it did not increase car count as was hoped it would do.

You even commented in another thread that you wish it would go back to the old days when if you went more than .50 under your index would be hit and said that will never happen. No personal index, no cic anytime and a adjusted Mineshaft rule.

Why can this not be done? Actually pretty simple to do and I believe it would be good for Comp. At least if comp goes away it would go out the right way not as a bracket race

Ps If your business was down 25%, (as is entries for national events) in 2 years in this economy would you be worried. And i am sure NHRA has these numbers because we know they are bean counters

Roger Niemczyk

#6 rognelson777, Mar 30, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  7. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

OK.. OK.. so, you're just pointing out the facts??.. actually sounds like FAKE NEWS to me.. you would like everyone to believe that the PI system is the reason for lower car counts??.. and the reason for people leaving Comp, REALLY??.. the actual fact is, that it is all dollars and cents.. I see costs going up, and car counts going down.. throw on top of that the ages of the drivers and teams.. and no young blood on the horizon to step in.. and we could always throw in the mistreatment by the NHRA, and their Rules Committee, if you want..

As far as going TOO fast, and being penalized, I don't think that the index give back did anything to help in that area, other than to enhance the pee-pee size chart.. it really hasn't brought anyone off the shelf, as expected YET.. but, the season is young.. Comp is the only NHRA class to be penalized during the event, or on Monday, for going too fast.. the rest just load up after a breakout, and go home.. at least in Comp, you get to continue, and then makes changes before the next round, if you have them to make.. but adding, or subtracting, weight is nothing new to Comp..

Back in the day, you were rewarded for qualifying #1... today, the only reward is from fellow racers respecting your performance.. personally, I'd be shooting for the bottom of the top half, setting up for future rounds.. but, maybe that's just me... the pee-pee meter really isn't necessary anymore... LOL!!!

MAYBE, just MAYBE, bringing back qualifying money, and raising payouts, in an effort to defray some costs might be a help, but the PI System is NOT the make or break here..

8. rognelson777

Maybe one of the SRAC reps can post on here what Nhra is saying about car counts and comp overall. I would love to be proved wrong (yes I do like comp and want it to survive, that is why I bring this stuff up) that I think there is a big problem, I will even buy pat ross 2 cases of beer if they post on here that NHRA says everything is Fine and comp in its current state (at all divisionals and same amount of national events as this year) for at least the next 5 years.

SRAC reps have been quiet on here for the last few months, whats up?

#8 rognelson777, Mar 30, 2018
  9. Charlie Yannetti

WOW!!!!.. OK???.. I can tell you what the SRAC reps are being told by NHRA, or at least the message that has been conveyed to the racers.. Comp is alive and well, and not going anywhere, anytime, soon... "BUT"... if we keep bitching, and being negative, something bad might happen..

You can always write a letter to NHRA, and ask for yourself, but that's probably the current answer, or at least until they come up with another BULLSHIT class that they need room in the pits for...

I actually keep an eye on the Pro Stock drivers, and make note on what they are driving, or licensing in, other than Pro Stock.. NHRA is gonna need more room for the increase in Pro Mod and Factory Show Down cars.. unless Pro Stock disappears first.. but they always need the fillers.. just sayin'...

guitar builder and Clint Neff like this.
  10. rognelson777

Charlie, I thought you were banned from on here because you are not a racer? Oh that's right, neither am I

PS by starting these threads, Wil Hanna is making more money from advertising since they get a lot of views.

Maybe I am Wil Hanna in disguise

11. arthodges706

I don’t think so, you can’t hold Wll Hanna’s Dick. Ok I couldn’t resist

guitar builder and DE3 like this.
  12. arthodges706

I just said it before Clark did

13. DE3

DE3 Active Member

If you truly love the class, you'll adapt to the rules and race. It's like the human race. You learn to survive or become extinct.

14. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

Don if that were the case they would have never changed the rules to begin with.

Yanetti leave me out if it. I once tightened lug nuts on a comp car that I didn’t own or drive

#14 Brian Landies, Mar 30, 2018
  15. Andrew Holt

Andrew Holt New Member

Yawn......

16. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

I’d race every fricking weekend if I had the money!!!

toyotaturbo and guitar builder like this.
  17. guitar builder

guitar builder Active Member

LoLoLoLololoLoLo, Git you SOME Art !!!!!!

18. RonP

RonP Member

IT would be nice if FS/XX would be added to Comp. 30 some FS/XX cars qualified at the Gators. It would provide the cars an extra option for the races that do not contest the FS/XX class. Besides, the FS/XX cars are running times & speeds more similar to Comp than Stock.

19. Charlie Yannetti

I don't think that the PI System was installed to increase car counts, as much as level the playing field.. just sayin'..

And banned??.. I've never been banned, and believe that I'm kept around for entertainment value..

And Brian, look at you tryin' to be all politically correct now.. I know that I know better.. LOL!!!