Comp & Houston Raceway Park

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Raymond Martin, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Raymond Martin

Raymond Martin Active Member

I wish someone at NHRA could tell me why Competition Eliminator has been eliminated again at the Spring Nationals for the 3rd year in a row. We have as many entries as any other National meet with the exception of the Nationals at Indy. What gives NHRA?

FLAT likes this.
  2. greg williams

greg williams Member

Couldn't agree with you more.Kinda sucks.

3. hickeybros

hickeybros Active Member

that's is Raymond,i calling TRUMP.WE AINT PUTTING UP WITH THIS SHIT

FLAT likes this.
  4. arthodges706

arthodges706 Active Member

They figured as old as you are, you wouldn’t notice. Lu ya buddy

Charlie Yannetti likes this.
  5. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

I think everyone should stop crying and boo hooing and just be happy we have a class to race

6. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

We want more races. You have drove in zero. Get a fucking clue bud.
    Clark Smiley

FLAT, deuces wild and SEAN DODD like this.
  7. Brian Landies

I figured that would go over your head Nolan

8. Raymond Martin

429 K/AA Old Dude
    Hey bubba Brian, once again you have nothing to add. When they started this deal about skipping races it was supposed to be rotated. Seems like they forgot to rotate. I'd like to know why. We will have 20+ racers like nearly everybody else.

Joey arrowsmith likes this.
  9. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

I'll be honest, Brian.. with the way some guys react, one might think that they are all satisfied with table scraps, and responding with "thank you sir, may I have another??".. there is absolutely not one valid reason that Comp should not be at every NHRA National Event, regardless of car counts.. I'll repeat for those with CSS or CHS.. NOT ONE VALID REASON!!!.. as matter of fact, why doesn't NHRA entertain bringing in Comp, with low car counts, just to let Comp run, and get in and get out, while taking the entry money for MAYBE six rounds of racing.. that's including 2 qualifying rounds, and maybe 4 rounds of competition.. what's that, maybe 1 hour of track time a day??.. did I say MAYBE??.. , and don't even try to throw around the BS about Tech Inspectors and Fuel Check guys, cause they have already cut back on them, and have others doing double duty.. those excuses don't fly.. they still have to tech Pro Stock, and do the same fuel check for Pro Stock as they have to do for Comp..

NOW, since when does not being an ACTIVE, or NON ACTIVE COMP RACER have anything to do with this forum.. and haven't we been down that road before??.. and you're absolutely right, Mr Martin, the dropping of Comp from National Events was supposed to rotated Nationally, and everyone responded by saying "OK BOSS, OK.. OK", but when it was realized that such a rotation could leave a Division with NO NATIONAL EVENTS for an extended period of time, the rotation idea was quickly abandoned, supposedly in lieu of some type of car count idea... SOOOOOOO, as y'all have seen, the only rotation involved, is when you lower yourselves on a sharp stick, AND ROTATE!!!

It's really a shame that so many good racers are willing to take what they get, and then berate others for their comments.. instead, maybe the SRAC reps should be taking notice that people are STILL pissed, and addressing the issue with NHRA, AGAIN!!.. just sayin'...

10. Brian Landies

Hey there’s a guy who got my point. Hope you’re doing well Charlie

Charlie Yannetti likes this.
  11. vinny Barone

vinny Barone Member

yea t glad i sold mine that 100k looks better and beter every day in my account

FLAT likes this.
  12. Raymond Martin

429 K/AA Old Dude
    Vinny, nice to hear from you again. I wasn't smart enough to sell. Whoooose was the sound going over someone's head that missed that part of a post who was politely telling him to STFU....

RIchard Brinlee likes this.
  13. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

Top Sportsman and Top Dragster have knocked Comp out totally for NHRA and LODRS event tracks for financial reasons.

Every Top Sportsman/dragster car has at least 1 crew member to tow the vehicle. Some with multiple crew members (compared to stock, SS, Super gas, super Comp which many race by themselves). So more entry fees and crew fees at national events and divisional events. Payout at most divisionals is less for Top Sportsman/dragster and they have higher car counts than comp so more money in track operators pocket at divisionals. If track operators are happy, they do not complain to NHRA about the fees that they have to pay NHRA to host a divisional.

Tech significantly easier, maybe check the weight.

As everyone here says, it is all about the money

14. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

Don't forget that the track operators have to buy more oil dry when T/D and T/S run.
    ps. Raymond was talking about Nats not Divisionals.

Yo Vinny, come racing season,(knowing you) the sound of a 11,000 rpm small block is worth more than $100K

#14 Greg Schenck, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  15. Charlie Yannetti

I can see where you're headed, Roger, and I'm not that up on the TD and TS thing with NHRA at Nationals.. BUT, their car counts are usually better than Comp..

As far as payouts, doesn't TD and TS have their own sponsors, at least in D1, so that's not out of NHRA's pocket.. might have been part of the deal to get them on the Divisional schedule.. don't think it works that way at the National level..

If they fill the 32 car fields at a National event, with an average of $360 per car and driver, I would think that the approximate $11,500 in entry fees in each class, not counting crew members tickets, should sufficiently cover the payouts in each class.. AND, even throw some money in NHRA's till..

And if I was NHRA, or a Divisional Director, I'd be complaining to the track operators for not providing adequate track surfaces, or facilities, for racers who are actually footing the bills at these races, and getting crappy payouts.. take races away from them, and double up at good tracks if need be..

That cuts D1 down to 4 Divisional tracks, and 2 National Event tracks, with one being questionable because of rig parking.. SORRY VIRGINIA, but I still consider you a D2 track...

SEAN DODD likes this.
  16. Charlie Yannetti

Doing OK, Brian.. ran over some rough spots this past year, but bouncing back.. with big thanks to Stalba Motorsports.. I think I may have caught a bug from Vinny Barone, and just might stay away from NHRA events this year.. time to save some money, and do some bracket racing.. low entries, bigger payouts..

Thnx for asking, buddy, and I hope all is well with you, and the family..

17. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

I will try to explain my comments, why national events without Comp is because Top Dragster and Top sportsman racers want to race national events. Top S/Dragster usually are full quotas, more money for NHRA in entry fees and less payout and tech than Comp and probably less personnel.

Footnote, it is all about the money, NHRA just did away with National event starter and are going to use divisional starters.

What does this have to do with divisionals you ask. My understanding is The NHRA gets a flat fee from the track to run the divisional, I heard years ago $35,000 per event and NHRA does not payout the winnings, the track has to payout the winnings.
    So why would a track want to hold a divisional, Grade points for racers to be able to run National events, and if you want to run Top Dragster/Sportsman at a national event you better have grade points.

18. Raymond Martin

429 K/AA Old Dude
    Roger:
    I might be wrong but I think $35K is a little high. I know several years it was $5000.00 a race they had to send in. Hell with today prices it may be $35K. If that's the case I don't see how anything is left for the track...

19. vinny Barone

vinny Barone Member

yea your probly right but the truth is i lost interest i have my son just turned 14 and we really enjoy one another but im may go to gainsville and help the new owner of my C/SR if i get time

20. Will Hanna

Will Hanna Administrator

I don't know the exact numbers but the divisionals area pretty sweet gig for the tracks. It's a low risk solid cashflow deal. From what I understand the basis of the model is NHRA gets a cut of each tech card. If the car count is below "x" that cut goes down, so that mitigates the risk. For an event without the Top Alcohol purse, I think the break even point for a track is somewhere around 250-275 mark. Looking around the country I would say the average was probably 450ish give or take. The double events are pretty big. I think Topeka had just under 800 cars. So that's two events for the track and NHRA at that kind of revenue. No real advertising needed. If you have a decent rainout weekend, you'll still do ok.