Comp

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by SmileyRacing, Nov 28, 2017.

1. hickeybros

hickeybros Active Member

well well greg & clark....me2

guitar builder likes this.
  2. Frank Aragona Jr.

Frank Aragona Jr. Active Member

I like going to national events and I don't get pissed on. I enjoy the racing and the camaraderie as Greg mentioned.
    What happens to you at national events Carey?

3. Michael Compton

Michael Compton Active Member

Running Comp at a national is a whole lot better than running any of the other sportsman classes. Been running Super Stock and can say I cannot stand going to a national due to the ridiculous schedule in place. Run in early morning and then run at end of day makes for a long day for all.

4. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

Expensive. Long. Crappy pit spots. Harassed by tech. Lose qualifying rounds if anything happens. Generally just treated like crap.

It’s whatever. I never really went to many anyways. But those have been my experiences. I’m done with them other than Indy. On the other hand division races are great on all accounts.

5. Frank Aragona Jr.

Expensive - Did you not know that you chose an expensive hobby?

Crappy Pit Spots - the people who work/almost volunteer for NHRA that pit us do the best they can at each facility and give us the best spots they can in the pecking order of classes. There are many inexpensive products out there that you can easily bring to help out when the area you get is not as optimal as your garage. For example pit mats, lexan sheets, wood planks and blocks etc.

Harassed by tech - I have been doing this for a very long time and have raced in almost every division and NEVER been harassed. By the way there has been much more stringent tech and tech officials in past years. Have I been checked thoroughly for compliance with class and safety rules? ABSOLUTELY and If that's what you are referencing I hope as a competitor they continue the same. If it is something out of this realm I urge you to call your SRAC rep, me or your DD and explain.

Lose qualifying rounds - sometimes we do and so does the other sportsman classes. Downtime from weather, breakage and track conditions can sometimes cause this to happen. It cannot be controlled. Can NHRA do it better sometimes, yes and sometimes they could do worse and be justified. Truth is National events are not for testing, they are the top line of races for sportsman. In my opinion if you enter a national event you should be pretty well sorted out to where a run in each line is sufficient. Are there times when you need a third, possibly a fourth? Most definitely and we've all had them but there are also times when 10 wont get you there. There are big money bracket races where you only get one and are racing for $50, 100 & 200K purses with costs of 500, 1000 & 2000 dollars to enter. Let me tell you by experience, 90% or more of those guys and gals have their shit together and ready when they arrive.

What I am saying Carey is that nothing is ever all rainbows and unicorns. You know the game, the field, the rules and procedures going in. The bottom line is that Comp Eliminator is a great class to race. There are so many of us out there having a blast. I am sorry that you don't at national events and I assure you if you reach out to your SRAC rep he will try to help change that. I truly want to see your feelings changed.

I encourage everyone who likes a challenge, likes to be innovative, likes to see the fruits of hard labor come into fruition and likes to have fun to come join us Competition Eliminator racers.

6. boostedf22c

We all have decisions to make after weighing all the options. . We choose to not attend national events for the above reasons. Not asking for any special treatment, it just doesn’t fit into our life well mainly due to entry costs and time away from home (not making money away from home). The other crap is annoying but isn’t a deciding factor.

7. Frank Aragona Jr.

So I am assuming you are not treated as bad as implied and you are actually not attending national events because you choose not to for other reasons? I ask because many people read this forum and what the current racers say could weigh in on their decisions to participate.

8. boostedf22c

I attend a lot of non NHRA events. And in comparison, yes we are treated pretty shitty at Nationals events. I don’t expect to have my ass kissed, but I also like to be treated like a customer. Which is what we are. I feel that way at other events.

9. Frank Aragona Jr.

I am sure there's always something out there that will be liked better but that doesn't necessarily make the other shitty.

10. boostedf22c

That might be true. It just makes it less desirable to go too.

Just for comparison the last race I went to our entry fee and crew members were free. It was a 16 car field for a chance to win $6000. Runner up is $2000. Semis are $1000. 2 day race. At that race we were invited to come back to another with the same layout except it’s for $20,000, 5000, 2500, 2500. Heads up, Pro tree Racing. We typically have a top 4 car as far as ET.

#30 boostedf22c, Dec 8, 2017 at 10:48 AM
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 3:05 PM
  11. Frank Aragona Jr.

Heads up, pro tree is not Comp!

12. boostedf22c

No kidding.

#32 boostedf22c, Dec 8, 2017 at 4:45 PM
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 4:56 PM
  13. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

I have to say that I have never been harassed by tech either. Been checked rather extensively a few times. I do understand the pecking order of things. At a national we should be a few down on the list. At a divisional we should be at the top. That is in regard towards run order and parking.
    Clark Smiley

14. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

If there were ten races that let you in for free and paid out the ass if you win you would be a dumbass if you went to any other race. Even to test I wouldn't chance hurting my stuff.
    Clark Smiley

15. boostedf22c

I’m starting to realize this. :)

However I do enjoy racing comp at division races.

16. Frank Aragona Jr.

Exactly, so how can you compare apples to oranges?

17. boostedf22c

I don’t know man. Seems you just want to argue? It’s not personal. I just don’t like national events.

Brian Landies and guitar builder like this.
  18. Frank Aragona Jr.

The last thing I want to do is argue with you or anyone else. Don't take it personal, I certainly don't. My best interest and only agenda is in preservation of the class. I want to encourage you and all others to participate in Competition Eliminator at both Nationals & Divisionals because it is one of the best classes out there, lots of fun, great people and not at all bad like some make it out to be. I understand if it doesn't fit into some lives be it financially, time away from family, business or what have you but I just wish no one would knock it for other reasons that may be exaggerated or untrue.