DO YOU HAVE A GOOD STORY FROM EARLY DRAG RACING?

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by hickeybros, May 21, 2017.

1. hickeybros

hickeybros Member

well I do,mine starts at Laplace drag way back around 1957,very few cars were trailered at least the ones we knew,but Don gartlist came in with all his glory,open trailer with two cars.well being I was 5 ,we thought he &landed from the moon.so while I was strolling throught the pitts,my eye catches this guy pulling a red wagon full of all sorts of canned items,i had no idea what but he was the Wynns man pulling his wagon towards gartlist's pitt area.if any of you know the pitts were gravel at best & pot holes everywhere. so what really caught my eye was the cans were falling out the wagon the further he walked,so what was I to do,yes I ran behind him picking up everything he dropped,putting in pockets,pants & drawers.after I could carry no more & was heading to show my brother what I had found,the Wynns man turned & spotted me,when he started laughing,i hauled ass. I've been in jail since,just kidding yall have a great day & please share your story.

guitar builder and FLAT like this.
  2. guitar builder

guitar builder Active Member

My dad brought me to my first drag race at Ringold ,Ga ( Dragcity Track ), funny cars were there too, around 1960, I was 7 lololol

3. Keith Rittenberry

Keith Rittenberry New Member

I was at Middle Tennessee Dragstrip (AKA Buffalo Valley) in 1970 standing right on the starting line looking across the noses of two 69 Z-28s when they launched. One of the cars was in reverse and I have never seen a hole shot to match it! The motor torqued the wrong way and smashed the distributor into the firewall which broke the cam and upset a few valve train items. Not only did the guy destroy a good motor, but he had a real red face for the reverse gear selection.

guitar builder likes this.
  4. randy wilson

randy wilson Member

One time at Eddyvile, in 1980, we were running s D/ED AHRA dragster, and that's when they let you drive your truck down the track to tow back, and a crew member jumped in, squashed a can of Pennzoil, and trailed it all the way down the track. I was embarrassed as hell.

5. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

Well Sam, I have a few (hundreds). Racing with my cousin "the Thriller" every race was a story. But one that he liked to tell is back in the early 1990 we always left for the races on Wednesday night after we finished bowling in our league. Well one night we were in a big hurry to make it at a far race so we jump in the motorhome and headed out, driving all night , sleeping when we swap drivers and arrived at the track right on time to tech in. Well I jumped out and Jerry noticed that I was still wearing my bowling shoes with my tennis shoes still at the bowling alley. Everybody got a laugh from me. Later in the staging lanes Edmond Richardson looked down and ask me if those were Simpson shoes, I said no these are Earl Anthony's.
    The next story I'll tell you, It's about taking a ferry boat to get to the races.

guitar builder and FLAT like this.
  6. hickeybros

hickeybros Member

Well I have heard some of the best stories world wide from right here is southern Louisiana,but the best of the best came from,(big jerry) as my grand kids called him,Gregory & Emile.hard to believe that much bullshit from one family,but they are the best

7. Glenn Hearn

Glenn Hearn Member

Back in 1966 or 67, Tommy Costales and I borrowed Buddy Conant' s old Weekend Warrior Altered. Buddy had just bought and rebuilt the Frito Bandito Anglia and was starting to run that. We were in Louisiana towing up to the staging lanes and when we went to turn the Corvair steering box exploded and I couldn't turn. So Tommy jumps out of the truck screaming and hollering for me to turn, so I just opened the suicide door and threw the steering wheel and shaft on the ground and said" Here, you turn it". The expression on Tommy's face was priceless. Luckily, Richie Rosen had a Corvair box and we were able to fix it.

FLAT and guitar builder like this.
  8. Keith Rittenberry

Keith Rittenberry New Member

Another one...I was stationed in England in the USAF in 1976-79. I went to Santa Pod drag strip in either 77 or 78 and was walking the pits with a six pack of Bud. They had the plastic ring things back then and I had drank one of them and was holding the beer by the open hole. I heard someone yell in pure American, "That guy's got Budweiser!". It was a crewman for Raymond Beatle's Blue Max. I responded that they could have it. He said out loud, "He speaks American, too." I was their hero for a moment for giving them cold beer and they sat me in the car and fired it up. Feet next to the back cylinders, butt over the rear diff, and jewels above the u-joints made me decide right then that I would NEVER drive one of those things. They enjoyed the beer, at least.