Doing away with pro stock?

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Jeff Childs, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Jeff Childs

Jeff Childs Member

The onion, i mean dragracingonline has this article about pro stock going through a major change.

http://www.dragracingonline.com/agent1320/2015/1320-xvii_7-19.html

What do you guys think about it?

My favorite part is "Our sources believe the NHRA will mandate a change from the current highly modified Pro Stock bodies to slightly modified from stock Mustang, Challenger, Camaro et al. bodies that will bolt up to the current Pro Stock chassis."

I would see the stock camaro bolted to a pro stock camaro chassis. :rolleyes:

2. comp 670

comp 670 Active Member

There are some big changes coming but I don't think as drastic as DRO is saying...

3. Jeff Childs

Jeff Childs Member

Do you have any insight/ideas as to what is actually coming? I couldn't imagine them tossing out the rulebook on people that have that much time and money involved in the current formula.

4. BilletCarb

BilletCarb Member

I do not have my own Pro Stock race car, but I can not believe that there will not be a place to race these cars. They do need some changes, that I understand. To make Top Sportsman the highest level natural aspirated class, just seems to much to believe. I am a fan of Top Sportsman, it just has a different agenda.
    It will be like starting over again.

5. Dave Ring

Dave Ring Member

NHRA can look at all the CJ, Drag Paks, and Copo Camaros that the factories are selling and say two things: Pro Stock ought to be more like those cars, especially if we want some support from the factories for the class, and two, maybe if we start with new power plants, we can put some rules in place to keep the costs down. The first would idea would be smart on NHRA's part; the second might be wishful thinking on my part.

I'm sure of one other thing-whatever changes NHRA makes will be such that every effort will be taken to avoid a law suit like happened with pro stock truck

6. hickeybros

hickeybros Active Member

we will al see soon

I haven't a clue other than its about MONEY. sure we all know that the major manufacturers need a way to sell cars & justify very exspensive sponsorship in a sport that seems to have diminishing crowds.but I don't think we are alone by any means.many auto sports seem to besuffering & not totally the blame of economy. sure hope someone find the cure for what motor sports are going through,but its not going to be an easy task. larger fan base,faster cars,cheaper cars,safer cars. whats the answer???

7. cutta

cutta Member

No matter what the changes are, the parity conversation is going to get really interesting. I think they could move to more stock appearing bodies pretty easily. Switching to all new engine platforms is a major undertaking for everyone especially if they are not only just moving to the currently available engine platforms, but also implementing power adders as well. That will be a parity nightmare. It will possibly bring in some new blood and new sponsors though. Power Adder racing is huge right now.

8. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

Electronic fuel injection?

Can't remember the last car that came from the factory with a carburetor.

9. Jeff Childs

Jeff Childs Member

I like the comp plus idea better than those supercharged sotck/super stock cars. I think they should go down to 358's like the trucks had but on EFI so they can have a comparison to nascar.

10. goneracin

goneracin Member

why?
    EFI im fine with. Rumor I heard i dont like as far as the parameters of it. Id prefer to keep the scoop. As far back as I can remember, and im pretty old :eek:, PS has had a scoop

But why try to copy nascrap? Why go to a 358? what does that do other than slow the class down? It wont save a penny, and will cost those of us with existing engines a shitload of expensive scrap iron, and serve no purpose.

11. Jeff Childs

Jeff Childs Member

1. Have something for the casual fans to compare the class to.

2. Allow other manufactures like Toyota to join in.

12. rognelson777

rognelson777 Member

Make it interesting, bodies have to be stock, except for Aero safety items (eg Rear wing), keep the 500CI motors in play with carbs add 300 CI 4 valve overhead cam V8 motors, Stock block & head V6 twin turbo allowed ( limit turbo size, a 3.0 liter unlimited turbo size 6 cylinder door car has run in the 5's ), Diesels allowed (think new dodge pickup 3 liter diesel) 4 cylinder turbo (too slow right now (although a full billet 135CI door car in australia has run in 6.50's)
    Will it be a nightmare to keep even, hell yeah, but it will also generate controversy which generates interest.

Also allow any transmission and traction control device. All this allows innovation which is what prostock originally was about, remember new transmission designs,

#13 rognelson777, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  13. Terry Spargo

Terry Spargo Member

EFI with no hoodscoops? I'm frigg'n stupid but the last time I looked at the throttle bodies on my peanut bullet the 4 were huge....where would all the oxygen come from without a hoodscoop? :confused:

14. goneracin

goneracin Member

toyota is welcome at any time.

15. goneracin

goneracin Member

rumor is TBI, not port injected, and a single TBI at that. 500" with a victor jr.....:eek:

Cowl hoods

If they go port injected and normal throttle bodies, we have to keep a certain runner length, so we have to keep the scoops. And as I said, there has never been prostock without a scoop that I have seen.

I would like to get rid of the stupid assed overhang on the front. And less blob shaped.

And please please please no traction control.

16. Dave Ring

Dave Ring Member

After watching it take the Safety Safari over an hour to clean up after a Deisel-powered TD blow up, I say NO Deisels.

17. rognelson777

rognelson777 Member

Something to Ponder, many racing series have short term manufacturer involvement, Ford going back to 24hours of lemans next year, Honda back in F1 this year with terrible results, GM back in indycars. No factory Vipers in road racing currently

#18 rognelson777, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  18. Glenn Hearn

Glenn Hearn Member

Bob, correct me if I am wrong because I have been many times. Ingersoll's turbo was without a scoop. But you are correct the NA bunch always had a scoop.

19. Raymond Martin

Raymond Martin Active Member

429 k/AA Old Dude

I have never seen so much hot air blowing in my life. It would be enough to inflate a hot air balloon. Tell that imaginary friend on your shoulder hello!!!!!!