Doing away with pro stock?

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Jeff Childs, Jul 15, 2015.

1. MAC4264

MAC4264 Member

Bet we haven't spent 5 million in the entire 30 years we have been racing and we bought out mike Edwards. It's misunderstandings like that, that keep people away. We spend 6 figures doing this each year not 7. I have the 18k shocks and you don't need them to be fast. Real expense comes from travel. Cause at least at the end of the day I might get 1 dollar for those shocks I'm not going to get anything for the diesel the truck burned getting there.

2. MindSticker

MindSticker Member

Chris, now that the changes have been announced, what are your thoughts?

Nunzio Valerie Jr.

3. MAC4264

MAC4264 Member

Think the rev limit should have been 11,000 with an increase in the future. Think the EFI should be open for all manufactures with approval of there system by NHRA. I didn't care for the window stickers for advertising for a manufacture that hasn't contributed to a program.

4. randy wilson

randy wilson Member

Pro stock

i think they actually just killed Pro Stock but that's just an opinion.

5. goneracin

goneracin Member

Chris
    The rev limit MAY have a chance of being raised. They listened to the wrong people last season....lol.

I agree, open competition among manufacturers for teh EFI. They claim to want technology, and you know if its open competition, we will push the envelope with technological advances. But keeping it a spec will actually slow any advances, where is the incentive for the guy that writes the biggest check to NHRA for the "official EFI supplier" to improve anything?

The flat hood thing is beyond ignorant to me. Lets make the cars less queered up and leave the scoop. Get rid of the overhang, and the drooping of the car. Make the bodies a bit more realistic, Id say good, but taking away the scoop and leaving them a meat blob sucks IMO.

The rest of it, Im all for. God knows we need to get some interaction with the fans. If it means turning the car around, and not covering it up is what we need, then fine. Hell, Im the dumbest mofo in PS, no one gonna learn anything from my shit anyway.....:eek:

6. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

I think multiple options for fuel injection would be great, when we were looking to replace our 6 year old engine management system, amazing how many suppliers wanted us to use their system.

Would be nice to see Haltech on 1 car, AEM on another and Big stuff 3 on one and Holley on another. Right now that is were the casual performance enthusiast is spending the most money.

Almost all have plug and play upgrade computers for todays street cars, so would actually provide great sponsorship opportunities for todays racers.

I think this item would be the best for Prostock racers to push for and if port fuel injection was allowed the hood scoop rule could be worked around easier.

7. Raymond Martin

Raymond Martin Active Member

429 K/AA Old Dude

Motec, Motec, Motec and someone might give Nascar a call since they have been running without a hood scope for about a 100 years now!!!!!!!!

8. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

That's one option.

9. Terry Spargo

Terry Spargo Member

ya and Nascar with all of 800 hp or so

10. Mark Lelchook

Mark Lelchook Member

That 10,500 rev limit is rally 10,300 - 10,350 as it starts hitting a few cylinders early. It should be 11,000 like Chris said, or at least 10,800 if they really want a 10,500 limit.

Mark Lelchook
    D/ED

11. pro7474

pro7474 Member

I guess I just do not see how any of these rules are going to increase participation? most of them are going to cost money, there will be no finding use parts to get into the class, I can understand going to FI but why a spec system why not just give a throttle bore size and let who ever wants to get into the class, maybe there would be some sponsors come onboard Big Stuff, Holley, Motec and so on. I would think that if they wanted more racers maybe take a head and if it flows 550 cfm or so have each MFG have a spec head that anyone can buy for lets say 30k a set complete with rockers and let anything else go, that way anyone wanting to get into the class can buy the same heads from GM, Ford and Chry and build there own engine, that should save a lot of money for everyone, of course they should do the same for the comp classes
    Chris Lamb

12. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

"]I guess I just do not see how any of these rules are going to increase participation? "

Or fan support , but we;re not alone , check out the article about the state of NASCAR on CompetitionPlus , same problems as NHRA drag racing except on a bigger scale . Appears to be Motorsport in general , fans with a bad attitude that can't afford to go to the races and racers that can't afford to do it.....sound familiar ?

13. ken reich

ken reich Member

Pro Stock

I think theres alot more comeing ,
    Can you imagine a : super mod "Pro Stocker"
    Like pro stockers were-

14. comp 670

comp 670 Active Member

I think you are right Ken. At first I was excited about the changes and was seriously thinking of jumping back into PS for 2016 but after thinking about it for a few days its pretty clear that these new rules are just the start of some bigger changes....

I bet they are going to go back to fairly stock bodies soon and maybe even get rid of the 500" engine platform. Just not wise to invest in PS right now. Way to much uncertainty.. We are going to stay in B/A where we belong...lol..

15. Clint Neff

Clint Neff Well-Known Member

I'll second his opinion motec motec motec and who cares about the stupid hood scoop if NOBODY gets to run one!

16. comp 670

comp 670 Active Member

Anybody who was a part of Pro Stock truck knows not having the scoop is going to be a nightmare... The truck guys spent huge money trying to get air to the engine.. This is just one more cost the teams (especially the small teams) just don't need.

Its going to require a forward facing throttle body and a new intake design instead of just being able to put 4 hole throttle bodies right on the existing manifolds and then just putting injector bungs in the runners. NHRA has made it way more complicated then it needs to be.

17. Raymond Martin

Raymond Martin Active Member

429 K/AA Old Dude

Pressure off the base of the windshield, turn the throttle body around facing the rear and seal it off to the louvered base of the glass. Come on fellows, we've been to the moon!!!!!!!! If Nascar can figure it out surely some smart drag race people can.

18. Jeff Childs

Jeff Childs Member

Could something like this not work? Where its sealed off to the hood on the top and the front end has duct work going from the grill to this box.

[​IMG]

19. smokinjoe

smokinjoe Member

Who's are the SOHC motors? Are they for sale?

Joe

20. Terry Spargo

Terry Spargo Member

couldn't help but notice the pic. with BS3 on Bo Butners PS hoodscoop at Bristol