E-mail Nhra

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Allen Stanfield, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Allen Stanfield

Allen Stanfield New Member

Hi Comp Racers. My name is Allen Stanfield and I'm a 71 yr old dumb hillbilly that loves comp and still love to drive one of those animals. My wife thinks I'm crazy and I might be crazy with what I'm about to put on here. I don't post much on ISCR, but I read a lot of the messages - some good - some not so good. The not so good is always complaining about NHRA. I was running modified elim. when NHRA dropped it. I was fortunate enough to run IHRA. Then NHRA dropped the trucks and now I see the writing on the wall!! For Comp, NHRA brings in ProMod, TS, TD and all the complaining about Comp, NHRA will get fed up with it and "BANG" we are GONE!! I'm not in love with NHRA, but all the neg e-mails, I think we should e-mail NHRA & thank them for a place to race. A lot of Comp Racers have big budget race operations. Have you ever stopped & thought for 2 minutes if NHRA drops Comp - where am I going to race? Well, there is no place to race!!

Tube chassis cars with big motors - you can run TS. Tube chassis cars with small blocks - you can build a big block or quit! SM cars - if you are lucky & it passes tech - you can run SS. Dragsters & ALTs with 6 cylinders, 4 cylinders - you can put them in mothballs. No place to race!! That's why I think instead of being so neg towards NHRA - we should e-mail them & thank them for a place to race. I know I'm going to get a "MAC ATTACK" for this, but I'm trying to save COMP for you young guys - I'm too old to worry much about it. I just look at the car count in COMP now - it just doesn't look good!!

Good Luck & Be Safe to all you Comp Racers this year!! :(

2. Gary Jacobson

Gary Jacobson New Member

Great Post Alan....your still the man...Don't give up

3. comp6869

comp6869 Member

Great Post Allen... There are some things I think NHRA needs to look at, but at the end of the day, is it really that bad?

Chad Perkin

4. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

Very Well Said!!!!I agree&hope some of the constant bitchers will take note!

5. Clint Neff

Clint Neff Well-Known Member

Allen,

TY TY TY TY TY TY TY. Now hopefully some will take note. I too am happy to have a place to race and nothing is perfect and very little that isnt will never be changed or fixed to everyones satisfaction.

#5 Clint Neff, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  6. Shane Heckel

Shane Heckel Active Member

Well said Allen!!!! And BTW I don't think the introduction was needed,I think we all know who you are:D

7. 199k

199k Member

x2 .

8. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

Thank you, Allen Stanfield, we're all lucky to have you speak to this issue.....the future of Comp. Do you have a plan, as you see it, to maintain the format it represents ( innovative no break out style racing) ?

9. 115 B/A

115 B/A New Member

Allen , very well said !! And I'm pretty we all know who you are and if not then your not a true comp racer . Your one of those guys that I will always look up to and have alot of respect for in racing and as a person . Your still a badass and I'm sure you can still wheel the piss out of a car , so hope to see you out there .

Dave Strouse III

10. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

Thank you, Wanted to say that so many times I am glad someone (you) did. I like so many of you are just itching to go racing. Lets be glad we can.
    Clark Smiley

11. Charlie Greco

Charlie Greco Member

Charlie Greco

Allen,you said what Ive been thinking for the past 3 years.Now,maybe some people will understand why a group of us have been screaming NO CHANGES for the last couple years.No,I dont have a plan to correct everything,but at least I know what the deal is going in.The cure for all the whining is to make alan freeses post required reading every time someone logs on.Stay well Allen,hopeto see you at the races soon.

12. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

I belive they quit because they was losing money, not enough racers. The bitching that comp racers do about the indexs has been around way longer than I can rember. If there had never been any changes in comp we would not even have the cic that we have now.The turbo cars would be killing us. What is wrong with asking for a fair alt adj .

13. Allen Stanfield

Allen Stanfield New Member

C.Tanksley

Mr. Tanksley, Like you said the bitcing that the Comp guys do about indexes, that's OK. Just don't bitch to NHRA. I think they have heard enough. They might listen to us a little bit if we had 40 cars at points meets & 50 cars at all Nat'l events. But with 9 to 12 cars at some points & not full fields at Natl events not much change is goint to get done. It is nothing wrong with asking about a fair alt adj., but what is fair. I have no answers. That is why I wouldn't want Mr. Collins' job trying to please the sea level guys & also the alt. racers. The one that can figure that out, needs to go to Washington DC & help Obama get us out of this mess we are in.

14. MAC4264

MAC4264 Member

Do away with the income tax. Impose a import tax.

As for comp, it fells like trucks in spring of 2001. Just my opinion and I'm trying to be optimistic about it.

Chris McGaha

15. Kurt-Prostart Race Cars

Very well said Allen, and as a well respected Comp racer I hope your message hits home to some. As a builder of "Comp Cars" I have always cringed at some of the things being said. Is NHRA perfect........No, then again nobody is. If Comp was gone there are very few cars I would prefer building, this is my life not a hobby. I am very passionate about Comp it is in my blood and have to agree with what you said. NHRA will get to a point and say enough is enough and the axe will fall, then who will really suffer. This F'd up economy has put allot of pressure on racers and the NHRA, I do not think it is a very good time to throw stones in glass houses.
    Kurt

16. B/AA 529Y

B/AA 529Y New Member

what is this thread about?

17. George Jr

George Jr New Member

allan stanfield response

thank you allen for well spoken words for all us racers, we all enjoy comp and agree with yourself and charlie by leaving comp alone, at this point with the economy. The biggest reason is if your self employed or struggling with business your are going to cut a thorne in your side due to the economy, if we continue to complain NHRA is going to get the hint and cut us. This is just my opinion. Also thier is alot of odd ball classes but all classes new or old do win check the past 6yrs it aint changed much .

George Supinski Jr

18. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

Cut us out, there was 8 red lights in first round once in comp I say quit red lighting . I belive NHRA might be tired of watching red lights more than bitching. What if T/F or F/C had more than half the cars red light first round . If they red lighted that much ESPN would pull the plug and we say leave comp alone.

19. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

Charlie,
    The way I have always looked at the first round of comp is kind of like a final qualifying session to get to the real race. Once you get down to 16 there is usually very good, tight racing. I've said it before, but if you want to have fun, go watch the first round at Indy from 1000'. Everyone is tuned up and tuned in and the .500 tree doesnt seem to be a problem there.

Some guys want to leave at the flash of yellow, others don't. I've heard alot of really good race car drivers talk about "finding their spot". The guys who are redlighting have 1 of 3 problems and none of them have to do with the rule book or timing system:

1) They are racing the car in the other lane instead of racing their own race -you can't control what Dan Fletcher is doing in the other lane - just go .030 and run it to the stripe

2) They haven't found their "spot" on the tree and are guessing

3) Their race car is wildly inconsistent and needs to be addressed before they can win rounds anyhow.

I find it funny that when you get the incremental sheets from qualifying there doesnt seem to be a problem with the .500 tree then. By in large everyone is between .020 and .080, but once the live bullets are flying, people freak out and turn it loose at the first sign of yellow.

My dad went from driving his Olds Firenza in comp with an air gap that was twice of what it should have been to the A/SR and had to find a new spot. He was a pretty good driver and got it done through practice and focus.

Mr. Stanfield should post on this board more often.

20. C Tanksley

C Tanksley New Member

If you are anybody in comp you should respect what Allen Sanfield has to say. I see where he is comming from we love comp and need NHRA to keep us a few more years. We will show the fans a better show than t/s and these other classes.

#20 C Tanksley, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010