Fundamental Question

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by robert1555, Mar 26, 2017.

1. robert1555

robert1555 Member

Before I ask the question I want to lead up to it with some facts.
    1. Up to and including 1974 handicap starts were defined in the rule book as "The amount of timed head start, or handicap factor, is based upon the time difference between the respective NHRA class records for the two cars racing."
    2. In 1975 it was defined in the rule book as "The amount of timed head starts or handicap difference is based upon the NHRA "Index" system in which each class has a designated handicap factor."
    3. Then in 1982 it was defined in the rule book as "All handicaps are based on the NHRA Class Index System. Handicap margins can be determined simply by comparing individual class index elapsed time factors (as listed weekly in National Dragster)."
    4. From 1983 through 1986 the wording changed back and forth between 2 and 3.
    I've attached the article out of National Dragster announcing the implementation of the Competition Index Control system prior to the beginning of the 1987 season. I have a couple of question I'd like to hear back from you guys on:
    • In the second paragraph of the article it reads "...will prevent a racer from in traducing an innovation at a race that gives him a large advantage over the field - as happened several times in 1986 - by controlling the amount by which a racer can run under his National Index." My question is: Do any of you remember what "happened several times 1986"?
    • In the third paragraph it explains how the "Index" system worked prior to 1987. I'm assuming that had taken place from 1975 through 1987. My question is: Do any of you remember why they decided to go to an "Index" system in 1975 rather than run off of National Records as they had done in previous years?
    Maybe you guys can help me understand better but I've read a lot of posts about the class being overly complicated to understand and I've done the comparison of Class National Record to Class Index but my fundamental question is: Why isn't the National Record the Index?

Don't start throwing rocks at me I'm just trying to understand the transition from the National Record being what you were handicaped off of to the current way you're being handicapped. I'm pretty simplistic. I guess I wonder if all the complication has resulted in positive results. Sure would like to better understand that. And another question is: Did the racers want this or did NHRA dictate this?

Going back and reading the article was pretty interesting to me.

Robert Edgar
    4164 Comp
    Original CIC article resized.jpg

2. robert1555

robert1555 Member

Hey Brian...I did think you were making a joke with that post but I included it hoping to point out no matter how off base an idea may seem, would the active racers review it, vote on it, communicate it back to everyone and put it to rest? Hell I've seen some ideas that were way worse that that but again, that's just my opinion. I didn't include Clint's idea of racing our tow rigs heads up to decide lane choice.

Will Hatcher from Division 5 responded back. He said NHRA won't give the SRAC's contact information for licensed drivers "for legal reasons". I was disappointed to hear that. He did say he would review the list with the other reps the next time they got together. I just think there needs to be a better way of addressing some really good ideas that could help the class. Maybe this is being done better than I think now.

I've asked Will Hanna to put up a poll for me asking the active racers and owners if they would be willing to review ideas, vote on, and if the majority of them thinks its a good idea, present it to NHRA for implementation. I've had rocks thrown at me about bringing up ideas. They tell me "Just leave everything alone, quit stirring everybody up." So maybe that poll will answer that question. Is that just a few that don't want to look at ideas or would the majority welcome that. If the poll reveals that the majority wants to leave everything as is, I'll try to show up with my shit and have as much fun as I can I guess. I really hope that's not the case but we'll see.