How about pro stock run wat you brung

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by vinny Barone, Dec 5, 2017.

1. vinny Barone

vinny Barone Member

wow never saw that coming

guitar builder likes this.
  2. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

Can I run my DD/AT car in Pro Stock now? :)

It’s a legal NHRA Pro Stock car.

3. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

Cool... so I guess it will be ALL Chevy motors, in whatever body you have.... makes perfect sense to me... NOT!!!!!!!

4. hickeybros

hickeybros Active Member

how dumb can you really be to have so many different fans all pulling for what they are driving & paying notes on,than have one car dominate for the last three years.now as far as what motors under hood,who give a shit,fans want to see,dodge,chevy ,ford,subaru,well maybe not Subaru,but they want to pull for their car.
    yes for drag fans this is personal,dam pay attention nhra

Charlie Yannetti likes this.
  5. boostedf22c

The most common engine in production cars today is a turbo 4 cylinder. Just saying.

6. Charlie Yannetti

Turbos??.. in Pro Stock??.. in my book, they already ruined the class with rules changes, and fuel injection.. turbos are in Comp and Pro Mod... NOT PRO STOCK!!!.. just sayin'...

Keith Rittenberry likes this.
  7. Keith Rittenberry

Sorta sounds like NASCARs "Car of Tomorrow", except in reverse.

8. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

If I recall, prostock started originally with current production engines in Manufacturers Body style Last 500 cubic inch v8 was in 2009 by GM for trucks. Make them run 6.0 chevy motor lsx, V10 ford, coyote or Hemi. Weight breaks that are constantly updated by performance. Why not turbo, supercharged, if you can buy one off the showroom floor you should be able to race it.
    Richard freeman said you can buy a prostock motor from him for $150,000. So if it is cost him $1.5 million for 10 motors per car per season I am sure they could do development of new motor and bring interest back to PROSTOCK. I believe manufacturers would have interest if they can say that is the same motor that is in a Camaro, accord, camry, challenger, mustang.

Charlie, would be awesome to see a 4cyl turbo race 500ci n/a prostock.
    It was great when we raced Pete Hannratty in his A/dragster (DRCE Motor) close to heads up at cecil lodrs.
    Just like the original PROSTOCK ford versus chevy except would be N/A versus turbo.

I think one reason for popularity of PROMOD is everyone has their power adder that they Cheer. And if you do not think Promod is more popular than Prostock. Look at the new cars coming out of Haas Bickel and McAmis, all promods

9. rognelson777

Competition plus has a story with Richard Freemans comments. He said it needs to be fixed but offers no answers. See my post above for my ideas.

As cary said, I bet he would race his car in Prostock, even though he might not be competitive from the start but he would love to try it.

10. boostedf22c

Hell yeah I would. All I want to do is race heads up, pro tree!! It wouldn't be hard to police either. But you'd have to replace some (not all) of the dinosaurs that work for NHRA tech with people that understand turbo charging, EFI and electronics. Right now, as our car sits, I think we could go 6.6's on full tilt, on the verge of blowing up of course..haha. Just a small change to the turbo and engine configuration it could go .50's and be right there. Bam!. :)

toyotaturbo and Backyard Bandit like this.
  11. boostedf22c

Isn't bench racing fun...haha.

Another fun fact, turbos were invented over 100 years ago. EFI was invented over 60 years ago. It's not cutting edge stuff, it's just a different approach to the same outcome.

toyotaturbo and FLAT like this.
  12. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

6.60s on gasoline, you might want to bring a few spares.lol

bseibenick and Clint Neff like this.
  13. rognelson777

And a quick google of turbocharged corvair showed , A turbocharged corvair won B/Stock twice at the US nationals in the 60's

So turbo's in NHRA racing have been around longer than PRO Stock

toyotaturbo likes this.
  14. boostedf22c

It’s a pipe dream. Unless they change it only millionaires can compete. And I’m far from it.

I know my place. Haha.

15. Charlie Yannetti

Gee Roger.. you're talking about different size engines, and weight breaks now??.. sure sounds like Comp Eliminator to me..

16. boostedf22c

Without the COMPlicated part. :)

17. rognelson777

Actually, now that you make that point , Prostock ruined Comp. I think in the early days of Prostock there were weight breaks for different Combo's, so technically, Prostock back then was Comp in a heads up format. Wow.

Correct me if I am wrong on Early days of Prostock. If I recall a chevy vega small block and a 4 door maverick taking advantage of weight breaks. Grumpy, Roush

18. Charlie Yannetti

SOOOOO, are you saying that you want to go back to the 70s and 80s Pro Stock??.. I just want to go back to two carbs, and hood scoops.. there really wasn't anything wrong with the class to warrant the nonsense changes...

Like Comp, Pro Stock has just been slowly pricing itself out of existence, and NHRA is just helping them along..

While I understand that we all need to not be adverse to change, I also believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it..

19. WB_Strip

WB_Strip Member

heck to think the most exciting think in Prostock last season was a couple of the Burnouts the fans love them

20. Charlie Yannetti

Maybe all the Pro Stock nonsense explains why Enders and Butner have licensed in Pro Mod...