How do we improve participation?

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Backyard Bandit, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Backyard Bandit

Since this was brought up I would like to start a thread for this. I think we need to come up with ideas to increase turnout. I would like this to be only positive. I also don't want to limit it to racers and owners only either. A fan could have a good idea also. Please no negative attitudes in this post. Let's be constructive.

2. Randy Goff

Randy Goff New Member

As I have said on another thread,I like the idea of the instant green,as used in some of the nostalgia venues.I think it's different and would create some attention for Comp.

3. Backyard Bandit

I know I might get grief over this, but I think we should use the pro ladder. More incentive to qualify higher. Maybe points for higher qualifying?

4. comp 670

comp 670 Active Member

Pro Tree, Pro Qualifying ladder, points for qualifying higher and the most important thing..... MONEY. Higher payouts and pay to qualify...

It's absolutely crazy what we spend to race and the payouts have not kept up at all. In different kinds of heads up racing all over the country you can win $5000 or more. Win a comp race and you might pay your travel costs..

We need to get someone to market comp out to some companies to get this money raised for higher payouts and qualifying money.

5. Ken Hawkins

Ken Hawkins Member

What Mark said......Pro tree and pro ladder, just my $1.05

Pro tree doesn't mean no red, been there done that, but it helps.

#5 Ken Hawkins, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  6. Frank Aragona Jr.

Frank Aragona Jr. Active Member

What are the thoughts on a pro tree helping Comp get better participation?
    We had a pro ladder years ago and there was an overwhelming amount of racers against it so NHRA went back to the sportsman ladder!

7. Frank Aragona Jr.

Also interested in how instant green would increase participation?

8. comp 670

comp 670 Active Member

The pro tree will never happen but I just figured I would post what I thought.

I feel it would help the red light problem, it is a topic that most fans have said they hate about comp. Too many red lights. More fans = more potential sponsors who could help the payout prob and therefore get more racers.Also, less red lights means more races to the stripe and therefore keeping indexes in check...

As for the pro ladder we need to do something to get racers to run it to the stripe in qualifying. We work soooooo hard on our cars, it would be nice to get a reward for qualifying well if you can. Just my opinion.

#8 comp 670, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  9. comp 670

comp 670 Active Member

Bottom line is more money (both qual money and payout money) will bring more racers in quicker then anything else.

10. Clint Neff

Clint Neff Well-Known Member

More money for sure but from where? Pro tree.....not completely sold on that but it's worth a discussion. Pro ladder has its pros and cons but like Frankie said there were a lot of people against it. Thanks bob for starting this lets see what other ideas we can come up with.

11. JJKay

JJKay New Member

12. Backyard Bandit

Maybe Brian can give us some tips for doing this in other divisions.

13. Frank Aragona Jr.

Keep in mind that 7 of those sponsors that are in the Browell's program are D3 racers and we all have the same opportunity to go out and get sponsors! It is alot of work and you need the racers to support the sponsors. A few of us created a program in D1 some years back and were able to get a good amount of money into it from sponsors but only few racers supported the sponsors and even fewer verbalized appreciation to them. We cant expect NHRA to extend the resources to bring money into Comp alone when they have bigger fish to fry!
    It is my opinion that we cannot fix the economy and that is basically the only sure fire way of doing two things:
    1- increasing sponsor involvement in contingency programs
    2- increasing participation

I feel we have to think outside the box and try to come up with a way to compete in Competition Eliminator competetively, at a much lower expense than what it takes now. There are alot of racers in the lower classes that aspire to run Comp but cannot do it simply because the yearly investment to stay competetive is too high.
    Years ago Jim Collins had created a plan for a Spec Dragster class which I was personally against because of 2 reasons;
    1- I was always against adding new classes to Comp since the new indexes tend to be soft.
    2- I felt it was not fair that we all spend alot of money and work very hard on our combinations to just give others a cheaper and easier way.

In hind sight, I am thinking that something like this could have put a breath of new life into Comp and increase participation to levels that we would not be in danger of becoming extinct. It may be impearative that we act NOW!
    I have begun to speak with a few racers about this and I was going to ask Jim Collins for his help but we have since lost him, which by the way in my opinion is a great loss to Comp and all of NHRA.
    ALL THOUGHTS ON THIS ARE WELCOME AND ENCOURAGED

14. randy wilson

randy wilson Member

comp

I'm not a comp racer, but have ran SS off and on for 42 years. I also had the experience with a pro tree in no break out racing for 35 of those years. Seen cars running 4.90's spot cars running 6.50's, and can count on one hand the number of red lights in a year. Everyone used to it hated the sportsman tree, and would never let track even consider it. Will it help in car counts? Doubt it, but damn sure would help out the red light problem. I also know most comp guys are against a spec head in their class, and I see their point. But, I think a nastalgia, 72, and older car deal, with a specified head in each manufacturer car, with say, limited assets, such as single disc clutch, no computers, and such would be a big draw for cars caught between not wanting shoe polish, and not having a current bat mobile to compete in. I mean, we have nastalgia dragsters. What's the downside? And in earnest, I want your opinion.

15. nickh

nickh Member

Great Points Frank... Has anyone thought about bringing some outside corporate sponsors in? Of course they cannot interfere with NHRA sponsors but there is a huge opportunity, yes it will take alot of work.

16. Backyard Bandit

I don't know if this would help car counts, but how about having a Div 1 Sports Nationals?

17. Jeremy Tanksley

1) Money.

2) Guarantee that there will be no more new classes for at least another five years.

3) Like every other forced induced class in NHRA, turbo size, boost, and/or overdrive limits.

4) Make all division races a two day event. Preferrably Saturday and Sunday.

18. Two Wild Ride

Two Wild Ride New Member

Have a few questions to ask.

Being a long time fan of Comp.
    I was wondering what kind of entry fees do yall pay now at a National Event
    Car & Driver, insurance, crew members, average travel fees, and average of miles traveled.I've heard everyone say that all the sportsman racers are the ones that pay the bills for NHRA.I am just trying to put together real numbers.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have some thoughts on helping the class gain attendance and better payouts, but to take my ideas to some sponsors I need to have real numbers.

Thanks in advance
    Bill

19. cutta

cutta Member

Would an aftermarket cylinder head push help get more cars? Also, would NHRA ever get behind this type of rule change and would the manufacturer involvement help encourage sponsorship. It would definitely help if it came from Comp as a whole as an agreed upon option.

20. Bman 353

Bman 353 Member

The biggest issue that I hear from Stock and SS racers is that they'll invest a bunch of time and $ into a combo and someone will accidentally or carelessly ruin the index. Then their combo will no longer be competitive and they're investment will be worthless. Its a very valid point!

So how do we fix that? My feeling is that we move permanent hits to -.66. This way we are increasing the shelf life of the investment. If you leave round by round cic at -.51, drivers are still forced to play the game, but won't be chased out of the class because of one bad decision. I also think you'd see alot more racing to the stripe and racers wouldn't be forced to change classes as often or reinvest as frequently to stay competitive. That brings the cost of racing comp down and makes for more competitve side by side racing.

We've already seen this in action with the mineshaft rule to some degree. While the Mineshaft rule isn't perfect, I think it has gone a long way in bringing racers to events that they'd normally be too afraid to go to, for fear of the atmospheric conditions. I also feel that the mineshaft rule should be adjusted as well to -.70under for true mineshaft conditions like Belle Rose for example, the hits that took place their cost alot of people alot of unneccessasry money.

As to the subject of new classes, I agree with Frankie's points. Also ask yourself would a spec dragster class really bring any new interest in comp and is it fair to all of us that have so much currently invested? The only thing bringing manufacturer support and new life to drag racing right now is the Cobra Jets, COPO and Drag Pak cars. While I feel these cars are too slow to run comp, if you were to add a class, why not dragster and altered classes that run these engine combos? Fans can relate to them, because they are the current technology that they're familliar with, detroit is actively supporting them because they are currently selling them and inturn the media is following suit. Just a thought...