Ideas to make comp easier to understand.

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by rognelson777, May 31, 2018.

1. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

We were racing at lodrs maple grove in top dragster so we were able to watch some of comp qualifying and eliminations.
    A idea came up to make it easier to follow.
    1 after cars make qualifying run have the scoreboard show how much each car was under. Could also do this in eliminations.

Another note. Educate announcers. There was a pretty good crowb on saturday night and the announcer said if you go more than .60 under in eliminations, say .65 under you "ADD" .05 TO YOUR INDEX.

2. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

I still don't understand why you have to go .50 or .60 under. Why not just drop all the indexes .5. If you go .02 under in eliminations you get hit .02. If you go .12 under you get hit .12 for the race and .02 permanent. It's the same math, same competitive result, just easier to understand

3. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

I feal we should drop them .70 but yeah Brian we agree. Pretty damn simple to do and be simple to understand.
    Clark Smiley

Chase Williams and Matt like this.
  4. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

Even I can understand that. :D

toyotaturbo likes this.
  5. Matt

Matt New Member

From a fan's perspective ........ YES. This idea would be a step in the right direction.

Matt Hanley
    Hendersonville, TN

6. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

I think the origin of the .50 under may come from stock and you cannot dial slower than the class index in non heads up runs. Also may have been in comp possible to run eliminations you had to be under index.

7. Adger Smith

Adger Smith Member

Do like Brian said and just put the index on your window in shoe polish. That would be simple enough.. Oops I forgot Comp racers are allergic to shoe polish. sorry. Please disregard...

toyotaturbo and mfracer like this.
  8. toyotaturbo

toyotaturbo Member

It seems to me that it would make for more finish line racing this way.

9. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

Complicated Eliminator.......gone forever.....I recently tried to explain it to a non racer , he finally said.......forget it ,I'll never understand that.....

FLAT and toyotaturbo like this.
  10. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

I always try to explain it like a golf handicap. The lower you shoot the lower your handicap is. If your handicap is 80 and you shoot 79, it’s under. Comp should be that simple. Going under is ok, going under is good, going under wins, going under may hurt you later. No calculator needed.

gkamp likes this.
  11. Backyard Bandit

I brought this up at a Div. 1 meeting several years ago and everyone there laughed at me. I don't understand why no one wants to make Comp simpler to understand!

12. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

WHAT??.. everyone laughed at you??.. come on now, at least you were invited to a meeting...

13. Frank Veloz

Frank Veloz Member

Yep, this was brought up and discussed in both 2010 and 2012 on this site. If you want to read the 2010 thread, type in 'Making Comp Easy' in the search box and put a check in the box that says search titles only. If you want to read the 2012 thread, type in 'Old Topic' in the search box and put a check in the search titles only box.

As was said eight years ago, this change is so simple and easy yet it somehow never gets done. I always laugh at the irony in the fact the decision makers decided taking 5 tenths of a second off of the reaction time (going from .500 to .000) would make it easier to understand, yet removing 5 tenths from the Comp indexes is somehow not valuable or makes it confusing. It's the exact same thing!

"It seems to me that it would make for more finish line racing this way."
    Shawn Brown
    Comp 1021

Shawn, I wanted to mention your comment from earlier in the thread and point out that removing 5 tenths from the indexes will have ZERO impact on how the races play out, whether it be at the starting line or the finish line. This would be similar to making a statement like, "Changing a perfect reaction time from .500 to .000 will make for more/less red lights."

I think these similar thoughts are had by the decision makers within NHRA or with the Comp reps who meet with the NHRA and that's why it's never been changed. The first thoughts are along the lines of, "there will be so many more red lights if the drivers can't go 50 under." Or, "there will be so many more index hits if a permanent hit starts at 11 under instead of 61 under." Of course, both sentiments are completely false.

But alas, I'll be at the Denver divisional this weekend explaining to anyone sitting near me how cool Comp is and how even though the scoreboard says 9.35, the driver is hoping to run near 8.85 as that would be considered a good run.