Index question

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Brian Landies, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

In Indy- DD/AT index is 7.72
    In Brainard- DD/AT index is 7.60

Am I missing something?

#1 Brian Landies, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  2. Brian Landies

Never mind. Watching D3 live. Comp just got pushed to the side because an index was wrong all weekend. So they have to re-ladder the field. Comp was literally in the water box when this happened. A 20 minute delay and they bring up another class. Yikes

guitar builder likes this.
  3. projack

projack Member

I've been to 4 races, and indexes have been wrong at 3 of them. How can we solve this problem? Clearly....we have over complicated this class. How is this going to look to everyone watching across the world if this happens at the U.S. Nationals...on the biggest stage?

Brian Landies and guitar builder like this.
  4. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

At Topeka points races, they gave the qualifying sheets out with a written in personal indexes. Still some was wrong but it was corrected before we went to the lanes.

Brian Landies and guitar builder like this.
  5. Raymond Martin

Raymond Martin Active Member

429 K/AA Old Dude
    Hey everybody:
    There had been wrong indexes put up before personal indexes ever came in to being. You spot it and don't stage and let them fix it. Nobody around the world cares. Somebody is trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.....

6. projack

projack Member

Old Dude:

I was just asking a question on how we can solve this problem. But if me or Brian point something out, you get so bowed up and go in defense mode, apparently you can't see that I was asking a legitimate question. I guess it's normal for an entire class to be paired up and in the water box get turned around to make a new ladder while the drivers are buckled in the car while it's hot out. And it's normal to be booed at a National Event, or for my husband to have to shut the car off after the burnout twice so far this year. My bad, I didn't know that's always been normal for comp. And I'll let the guy from Australia that ordered a set of jacks from me last week, who asked me what in the world is going on in comp this year, to not worry about what's going on over here because this is normal.

7. Comp 307

Comp 307 Member

8. Comp 307

Comp 307 Member

Really? Here's my response.....And by the way I own 3 sets of your Dad's ProJacks - even though - in your words - you hate Comp. Yes, it sucked to get pushed over for Top Sportsman. And yes, It makes watching the race more difficult. But please clarify you concern. Here are the facts: (1) I really can't explain how someone can qualify off of the wrong Index - Carey Bales may not have known the number, but whatever - the Tower called bullshit and it got fixed; Rick Browns PI was wrong and I understand he went to the tower and had it fixed before first round. So, we killed 25 minutes or so and all was good in first round. What am I missing?

9. projack

projack Member

Chuck, you are absolutely correct. Nothing to be concerned about.

guitar builder and Brian Landies like this.
  10. Brian Landies

Chuck, Kim doesn't hate Comp. No need to get personal.

11. Comp 307

Comp 307 Member

Brian, my post wasn't personal. I believe a prior post clearly stated that they hated Comp. If I'm wrong I'm sorry. No disrespect,

12. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

It appears to me that "we the racers" can help keep this from happening. I do find it rather odd we have to manage and report indexes to NHRA as well, but if we need to do it to keep things like this from happening we should....and not complain about it.

Next time this happens we'll know what to do.

I'm chalking this up to a learning experience.

guitar builder and projack like this.
  13. projack

projack Member

Well, maybe you should go back and actually read what I've posted. Again, you prove my point in an earlier post that you guys get so bowed up and in defense mode, you don't actually read what we post. I ask a question and your automatic response is to go off on me, rather than give a constructive response or a solution. You can't even admit that there is a problem.

14. cervelli7

cervelli7 Member

Chuck,how long have you been racing comp?

15. cervelli7

cervelli7 Member

Chuck, I started racing in 2007 do you think I would keep doing it if I didn't like it. I shook the tires every run last weekend and broke all kinds of stuff on my car. I have already tore my car apart and started to fix it for Indy the next night after working all day.Does that sound like a guy who HATES comp HELLO

16. Raymond Martin

429 K/AA Old Dude
    I guess the easy solution would be for certain people to go to Top something, that way you could just write your time in chalk and get away from all this complicated indexing system. Just saying........

17. Comp 307

Comp 307 Member

I started in late 2001 with a C/ED. Now if you ask me when I won my first round, that would be a much later date.

I'd never question you work effort or talent. I truly believe I read a post under your name that stated that you guys hated Comp. If I'm wrong, then I apologize again. I'm not being disrespectful or trying to be personal.

I just don't get how the mistakes by NHRA at Indy (loading the wrong national index for Bales) and at the Norwalk national (inability to load personal index) gives any leverage to get the system changed. To me, this is like the Sunoco fuel debate. I didn't ask for the change, but I'm dealing with it because the decision was made and if I want to play, I have to deal with it.

For what it's worth, I believe the best chance Comp racers have to change the system is to band together and vote on a change. If the majority ask for it NHRA may listen. But to be transparent, I've pushed my clutch at 1000 feet many times over the last few years to manage my personal index and would be pissed if I lost the index I've been protecting without time to use it up.

If you want to vent or go off on me my cell is 614-560-6767. My concern is not that we disagree - my concern is that I truly believe if the folks on the West Coast believe Comp is a pain in the ass they may kill it rather than deal with it.

18. Comp 307

Comp 307 Member

I hit post too quickly. If we continue with the Personal index system, I've been preaching that each racer should declare their current index on the tech card. If you lie - you're suspended forever. All you have to do is look at the board when you stage. I'm confident enough racers still look at everyone's index to police it.

19. cervelli7

cervelli7 Member

Chuck, That was a good idea on putting your index on your tech card. That is why this post was started to help fix the problem. Not to change the personal system. I do think it is sad you can not race your car to the finish line to to protect your index.

Raymond, not a great idea to tell people to go race another class when we want the class to grow and not get smaller. GENIUS!

Here is how I see comp right now ,and this does not mean I hate comp.

Comp right now is on the Bernie Sanders plan. Let's tax the fast.The current state of the personal index system ....aka the Obamacare plan of comp..... is imploding in front of our faces,but the senators wont repeal it. There is a silent majority that just wants to Make Comp Great Again , but they see how the ones that speak up get treated , so they don't say anything.

That's how I feel sorry if I offended anyone

20. Raymond Martin

429 K/AA Old Dude
    I guess you could say I'm like President Trump and calling out "Fake Racers"....