Index question

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Brian Landies, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

Very helpful Ray, I'm sure everyone appreciates your contribution to the discussion.

guitar builder likes this.
  2. projack

projack Member

There you go. I knew after you tried to say more than once that I've said I hate comp......even though I have never said that in that context......that you could actually contribute something valuable to the thread. This is actually a good idea, which is all I was originally asking.

guitar builder and Brian Landies like this.
  3. Raymond Martin

Raymond Martin Active Member

429 K/AA Old Dude
    Being the "Genius" I am, I like to throw a little humor in...

guitar builder and FLAT like this.
  4. hickeybros

hickeybros Member

keeping trac of all personal indexes would never have been a problem if nhra would ever listen to the smartest group of racers they have. COMPM GUYS. simple simple BAR CODES.handed out at the gate where we pay to race,just like a tech card its handed to you to install on your car,roll cage what ever.as you are allowed to enter the staging lanes,you are then scanned,sent directly to the tower,problem solved.no question where you actually qualified,ladder sheet correct & we can pay attention to the race ,not all this bullshit. Let me also mention any thoughts of cheating,does anyone really feel this action is ever worth a win,hope your answer is NO.however if caught,there will be a serious penalty.unlike whats being not enforced to liberal leftist tearing our country apart,STATUES, WTF?

5. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

"Yes, it sucked to get pushed over for Top Sportsman. And yes, It makes watching the race more difficult"

"But to be transparent, I've pushed my clutch at 1000 feet many times over the last few years to manage my personal index"

"My concern is not that we disagree - my concern is that I truly believe if the folks on the West Coast believe Comp is a pain in the ass they may kill it rather than dealwith it."

Chuck, these are all direct quotes from you. To say there isn't a problem is NUTS

6. Comp 307

Comp 307 Member

Brian, I agree
    Brian, please don't say things are "Nuts." Your father was a God in a roadster with hand brake and a clutch pedal. Your brother crushed me in 3 straight D3 races when he had his new Cavalier whipping my ass in the #17 spot back in the early 03 days (with a clutch pedal and a brake). So I'll push my clutch in as along I want. Blame the problem on the indexes as long as you want. Please, please find a solution.

You have my cell number....... call, vent or tell me to Fuck Off. Its fine with me to find a solution, but I feel that you are still negative about Comp.

7. rfh

rfh Member

8. rfh

rfh Member

The main problem with comp today is that everyone is so concerned in protecting their personal index there is not much finish line racing going on. Chuck,you should never have to choose between taking the stripe or protecting your index. I believe that if everyone would be perfectly honest you would agree that NHRA made a mistake in giving every class a tenth back two years ago as a incentive to build car count. That one thing has done more harm than good. That was the reason personal index's were introduced. Personal index's has done nothing but add confusion to a already to complicated eliminator. Brian Browell mentioned an idea several weeks ago that made a lot of sense to me. He suggested we drop the person index system completely and go back to the start of the 2015 racing season without the tenth that NHRA added and take an additional tenth from every class. So basically every class would be down two tenth's and old time comp racing would see everyone racing for 1320 feet. The personal index system has not done what it was intended to do so lets dump it and try something that insures 1320 foot racing returns to what it always was ... all out racing.

comp 670, RonP, cervelli7 and 6 others like this.
  9. Chad Voges

Chad Voges Member

That sounds like a great idea, Bob.

10. cervelli7

cervelli7 Member

Back in March, on page 6 of the comp buzz, I had Will post a poll to see if everyone would want 2 tenths off. I wonder how that poll would turn out now? Even some of the guys who said no are now liking Bob's post.

11. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

I didn't vote on that poll. But I definitely agree with Bob now.

12. Comp 307

Comp 307 Member

I don't remember voting, but I'm in favor of the proposal. If you do another poll, would you consider also doing a poll on self declaring our index (or some other idea to help fix the index issue)?

13. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

Hitting your index is self declaring.

14. Comp 307

Comp 307 Member

I'll bite. Self declaring what Greg?

15. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

OK.. OK.. so maybe an easy fix is to have everyone qualify off of their Personal Index.. I mean, that's what your going to race off of, so why not use it for qualifying??.. this way, if there is a problem, it's solved during qualifying.. RIGHT??

BUT NOOOOOOOOO!!!.. if we do that, then we can't walk around saying we're 80 under anymore, cause we personally dinged ourselves up... THAT just might be the problem... JUST SAYIN'..

And Raymond, be careful what you wish for... what Top class will you fit into??

Matt Harris likes this.
  16. Raymond Martin

Raymond Martin Active Member

429 K/AA Old Dude
    Hey Charlie:
    You just wake up? This discussion took place a couple weeks ago. You can bet one thing Charlie, you won't see the old dude in "TOP" anything. My stuff is too small, I'd have to add 600 or 700 inches.

17. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

All I was saying is that anyone that goes 71 or more under, declares their new index.

18. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

Ha Ha Ha, Ray... nice try... so I guess you're planning on retiring then, or have you already...LMAO!!!