INPUT REQUESTED FROM ALL CURRENT, RETURNING & PROSPECTIVE COMP RACERS

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Frank Aragona Jr., Mar 9, 2017.

1. RamAirV

RamAirV Member

If you want the input of newbies to the class, the first thing that needs to happen is to stop the bickering. It's okay to disagree with others, however, let's do it in a civil way and I believe that to reduce the bickering, the best way would be the use of polls and give inputs to the SRAC designees.

I will be a newbie in the class, but not to drag racing. After years of being involved in Stock and Super Stock Eliminator, and many year in Modified Eliminator, after much debate of building a Super Stock Modified class, I decided to make the move to Comp Super Modified.

I have always been an advocate for the class and love it. Since I am an engineer by both education and career, Comp Eliminator is the only class that allows creativity on the type of car you build.

Many racers have told me that the class is dying, that I am crazy doing so, that is expensive, etc... I believe the class will survive and we can be successful and make many happy if spend more efforts in lieu of bickering, in the rule making process with NHRA and help the Comp SRAC members be more proactive with NHRA.

As regards for me being crazy and the expense of the class, any class can be expensive and costly depending on the car you choose to race. I know of guys that have spent $180,000.00+ on a competitive Cobra Jet or COPO Camaro to race either Stock or Super Stock and they still have to dial and hit the brakes.

My car has taken some time because I still have family commitments and have been busy due to moving from Seattle, Washington to Glendale, Arizona, this said, I expect to be at the track at the start of next year.

The creativity of Comp made me choose a 1994 Mustang for Super Modified that was built by my close friend Jim Cowan. My plan is to start in D/SMA and later move to C/SMA class with a different engine. Running a Ford engine for the class has been a bit more challenging when compared to a GM product as regards to parts.

Nevertheless, still looking forward to meeting many of you and to the camaraderie of the Comp class racers.

Comp Mustang.jpg

#101 RamAirV, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    SEAN DODD, FLAT and ken reich like this.
  2. Frank Aragona Jr.

Frank Aragona Jr. Active Member

Thank you for posting. This is great news! Good Luck. If there is anything I or any of the other reps can do to help please contact us. I would love to talk to you for a few minutes if you can. My number is 917-295-2804, if you don't get me leave your number and I WILL call you back.

ken reich likes this.
  3. M Hall

M Hall New Member

New blood here working on getting out this year. My son is 18 now so mostly a building year for us, new car is done, testing and licensing soon with an old engine combination and hoping to get something competitive in the frame rails by years end for the 2018 season. I've Been around this crazy ass sport for 35 plus years now and been involved with about every class in some capacity. Comp. Eliminator is THE baddest ass Max Effort class in drag racing period, and the people involved in Comp are some of the greatest and nicest people youll ever meet. I personally would have gone a different direction (never 1/8 mile) with my son than Comp if it wasnt for the recent rules changes. I grew up watching and hanging around comp guys most my life. I watched a few non driving guys with a ton of money run away with Championships by taking hits after hits to grab Wally's and then change classes over and over again taking more hits all along the way. I've had friends put fresh competitive combinations together over the winter on the east coast just to watch some jackass on the west coast Destroy their index before they ever got out of the snow. Thats where Comp gets the reputation for being extremely expensive and a deterrent for anyone wanting to do it. The PI and only being able to change classes once if you hit yours is the best thing that ever happened, should have been done years ago. Build a fast car and drive it well and smart and your good to go. If you have to buy your way into a car thats a second under and beat the index to death and continually change classes because you cant drive comp isnt for you anymore. Sorry, but I've been creeping this forum for a while and the bickering about PI and new rules just got to me. Thanks for all your doing for the sport Frank, and thanks for talking with my son by the starting line at Maple Grove. Hope to be out there soon!

SEAN DODD likes this.
  4. DE3

DE3 Active Member

Welcome and good luck, hope to see you and your son out there among us! Among all of the doom and gloom lately, I appreciate you giving an alternative view to the PI system.

5. Frank Aragona Jr.

Frank Aragona Jr. Active Member

Its great to hear a story like this. Thank you so much for posting. Please send me your contact info and give me a call when you have a chance. I think it would be great to speak with you, 917-295-2804
    Frank

6. M Hall

M Hall New Member

Sometimes you realize you may not want to post on a forum after a couple drinks lol!
    Frank, will do, I'll give you a call wed. Evening.
    Don, thanks for letting me bend yours and pop's ears. You've both been very forthcoming answering my questions too.

7. Troy Galbraith

Troy Galbraith New Member

To try and attract new folks the PI itself understandable. PI + a tenth back for everyone was a bad combination IMO. Punishing those who raced hard the previous season **most of them going no faster then they did in 2015 or previous** has unfortunately so far hurt car counts more then they have helped.

I also don't see how you justify letting someone go to a 3rd/4th class in 2017 rather then resetting PI's allowing them to stay put.... that only drives up the cost long term for most everyone. There are racers spending $ to make changes rather then spending it on entries fees (not good for the long term health of the class).

NOW.... why dont we go back to the 12/31/15 class indexes but let any driver who has not entered an event in Comp Eliminator since 1/1/13 (or whatever date) have .05 added to their index for that calendar years racing season? Heck make it a tenth.

No punishment for those already racing but a true incentive for newbies and those who have sat out for an extended period of time.

Troy Galbraith
    317-258-5641

8. 377 D/A

377 D/A Member

^^^^ it makes sense ^^^^

ian

9. jeremytanksley

jeremytanksley New Member

Two things:

For Comp Eliminator, kill off the division race grade point requirement to attend national events.

Next, for Comp Eliminator, modify the points rules so you can potentially run for a national championship and disregard division races as a factor of total points count. Keep it fair so they have only so many races to claim - just like the rules we already have, but with provisions for racers who wish to attend national events only.

10. Brian Stufflebeam

Heads up should always be Heads up!!! if you incur cic in a heads up it is yours, I don't recall it ever being any different. If we handicap heads up rounds they are no longer heads up

11. fred ferrante

fred ferrante New Member

Having read through most of this, NOT ALL of it, I will add this.

I raced Comp back in the late 80's early 90's, little NHRA, mostly IHRA mainly because we were not fast enough, and IHRA had softer indexes. I did crew for some NHRA comp guys, and Super Stockers. I did get involved in the super classes as well for a time. Took several years off and in 2005 (YES 2005) returned to racing. When we started looking at where to race my first look was Comp. While we did not go in this direction then as it was not favorable for us to do so, we decided to follow the NMRA/NMCA series and did so till 2015. Through the years there both my son and I were able to manage top 10 finishes in our classes. Well finally being in a position to race where I want and how I want, I entered my first comp race since 1991 this year at the Division 2 season opener. I did not care about personal indexes or CIC. I just wanted to go back to racing Comp. Our weekend did not go well as well had engine issues before we ever made our first pass, but we were there.

My point to all of this is as mentioned in other posts the guys who want to run Comp will, and those who would rather complain about it will not show up and still complain.

Here is my ONLY issue with Comp and was back then as well. Most of the cars are purpose built for this type of racing and CAN NOT race anywhere else. IF there were more venues for beginning guys to work on their cars in actual competition or existing cars not racing to race more, for a decent $$ It may bring more cars than spending crazy $$$ just to be able to only race what 7 or 8 times a year? With this being said, when new racers look at rules packages and the potential payouts, a budget minded team will more than likely choose another class. Where is the incentive to race Comp? What is the advantage to racing this class over any of the others mentioned? These are the questions that need to be answered to bring more cars.

Frank, it was a pleasure talking to you after the Orlando race, and look forward to attending more events but for me it is more about racing how I like to race rather than PIP. And just to answer your original question same class vs same class should always be heads up first to the stripe wins... no handicapping as heads up racing should showcase the best in the class at that event.

guitar builder likes this.
  12. Clint Neff

Clint Neff Well-Known Member

Great to have you back in comp Fred! Look forward to meeting you somewhere down the road!

13. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

The incentive to racing comp is the first one to the stripe wins. That is not the case in about every other class!
    Clark Smiley

14. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

Thats what initially attracted us to Comp. As well as the incredible cars.

First one to the stripe wins, but if you win by too much and go "too fast" you are penalized. You are penalized in Stock and Super Stock if you go "too fast" as well.

That right there, in my opinion, is one of the biggest reasons why you don't see much new blood in Comp or class racing in general. Unless they were born into it, most can't relate to that type of racing, nor are even interested in it once they find that out.

There are literally races every weekend across the country that are cheaper to enter for the driver, crew and spectators, pay more, laid back rules, easier to compete in, easier and cheaper to build a car for, heads up, no penalties for going too fast it's no wonder they aren't chomping at the bit to get into Comp or class racing.

One thing is a given, typing these words on a computer don't do anything. Showing up to a race does. :)

Backyard Bandit likes this.
  15. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

I think you just said it Carey. The key word
    Being "EASIER". That is what most people look for these days.
    Clark Smiley