Is it time to allow delay boxes or go to pro tree

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by rognelson777, Mar 26, 2018.

1. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

Before you say no, Please read the whole post.

Reviewing eliminations from D4 LODRS in Baytown texas there were more cars eliminated on redlight than on both green light runs.
    RD 1 was 4 red lights, 2 green light, 1 bye run and 1 broke run
    Rd 2 was 2 red lights and 2 green lights
    RD 3 was 1 red and 1 green
    RD 4 was red light.

8 red light eliminations, 5 runs to the finish , 1 bye run and 1 broke run

Comp has changed significantly since delay boxes have been outlawed. respond with reasons, not just because it has always been that way or it takes the driver out of the equation, many of the items below take the driver out of the equation already.

Here are Current legal driver aids and some are electronic

2 step starting line controller. '
    Automatic shifters
    Line loc.
    Long button with washers to slow down release of transbrake.
    Blinders on helmet or car to only see last yellow.
    Switch on clutch pedal to release line loc and 2 step not using button on shifter.
    Electronic ignition, electronic fuel injection and Timing controllers to alter performance.
    (Remember the cable on the dist for the driver to change timing down track)

What is your take?

I love see cars running to the finish line not red lights.

Last but not least, work on your driving is not a answer, it is too expensive to take a comp car to the racetrack and work on your reaction times. Practice trees help, but in my opinion not the same as seat time.

2. Greg Hogue

Greg Hogue Member

Delay boxes have never been legal in comp. Red lights are just part of comp. It's a skill set that eludes the box racers and sets comp on a different level as far as driving.
    when I first started my lights sucked. I literally put a Mr. Good wrench motor in the car and went to the local track and hit the tree 20 to 30 times only going 10 feet until the motor got hot. I did this before Friday night grudge racing at Kennedale. I had the tower on my race radio. I got a lot better and started winning rounds.
    The clutch guys could not use a delay box, why allow it in with the automatic cars
    NEVER IN COMP

3. arthodges706

arthodges706 Active Member

Another bullshit post, do you realize comp. is an expensive class. So you need seat time than go donit. This is going to alienate me but what ever. Delay boxes are for pussies does Rampy, Kamplain, Aragona, need a delay box. No, they just work on there crap. I applaud the bracket racers with there delay boxes but this is just a different type of racing.
    Instead of changing the tree, introducing delay boxes just work on your stuff. I take this as s real insult to the integrity of Comp. Eliminator. This just pisses me off but who am I.

Greg Hogue, Jethro, oscaracme and 4 others like this.
  4. Alan Freese

Alan Freese Active Member

I had a conversation with Art this past week, I brought up to him that Comp is the purest form of drag racing there is. There is no other category that allows the diversity that Comp does. whatever your skill set is; 4,6, 8 cylinder, stick, auto, tube car, super modified, truck, dragster, altered, roadster, blown, N/A, turbo, carbs, gas or alcohol. Bring your baddest shit and see how it stacks against the rest. Just like in the real world, politics can screw up a good thing. Park the personal agendas and egos and let the chips fall where they may. Comp is not meant to be won by legislation, it's meant to be by hard work, determination and perseverance. Focus on what's best for the class instead of what's best for me and see what happens. This shit didn't unravel overnight and it's not going to get fixed overnight. The driver skill set in Comp is simplest of all classes, green light and first to the finish line. Get 65+ under car and the skill set gets tougher. No place for delay boxes in Comp, not even close. If the water is too deep, the kiddie pool is next door. One other thing, this shit is stupid expensive and payouts aren't changing. Be glad a lot of people step up with their bonus funds to keep shit alive. Support it if you can, it's no more fucked up than any pro class out there. Happy Easter everybody.

5. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

Pro tree would be cool.

6. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

I can say that I am a no driving fuck. But there was a tree issue at the last d-4 race. First round the first racer in the right lane said he thought he staged with his firewall. The second racer In that lane said the light flickered and never came back on bright. The fourth racer In The same lane got an instant red off a flickering tree.
    I ain’t a whining fuck but there was an issue. Suck it up and go to the next race. No big fucking deal.
    Clark Smiley

Greg Hogue, Chris Benham and FLAT like this.
  7. rognelson777

The last time I viewed frank aragonas car personally up close, he had a JUST IN Time Transbrake switch that is advertised to allow you to adjust the release of Transbrake up to .70 depending in car.

If so then this should be outlawed.

8. Jethro

Jethro Member

This should get interesting.

DE3 likes this.
  9. Raymond Martin

Raymond Martin Active Member

429 K/AA Old Dude
    Rognelson 777, do you run comp? Delay boxes were allowed in Comp until the early 90's. The stick guys got to whining and they took them away. Of course they have clutch linkage and air gap so we have a slow switch to compensate. Let it lay, let it lay....... We don't need a bunch of hoop-la......

FLAT and Clint Neff like this.
  10. Shaun Vincent

Shaun Vincent Member

The classes with delay boxes still red light. In Baytown Top Sportsman, Super Street, Super Comp, all had red light in the finals, not to mention Super Stock also. Looks like we should just go to an instant green like street outlaws!

Clint Neff likes this.
  11. rognelson777

Clutch guys can use delay boxes now, Biondo sells a magnet kit with a delay box, so they could also use one today.

I use to crew on a comp car that no longer races because of personal index. They now run top dragster with a delay box.

12. boostedf22c

I've seen a few red lights on an instant green tree too. :)

I did do some digging through the comp results from last year as it appeared that there were a lot of red lights. At least the events I went too. It's about 30% of the time someone red lights, from the 10 or so events I went through. I didn't have the time to go through the other classes, maybe it's normal? Not sure. For whatever that is worth.

13. gkamp

gkamp Member

Rodger I am getting the feeling you are just trying to stir things up. You went from wanting delay boxes and or a pro tree to saying that Frankie's button (that is an approved button) should be outlawed. And by the way (the add I saw) it is not .7 delay its .1. As far as the pro tree I wouldn't mind at all but I think all the guys with the heavy supermod cars with small motors wouldn't care for it.
    I'm not sure what all Frankie and Rampy do but I stage the car, close my eyes and count to 3 (4 if the suns out) and let it eat !!!!!!

Cody Lane, Clint Neff and Matt like this.
  14. Matt

Matt New Member

Delay box - no
    Pro Tree - yes

But I'm just a fan ........ who wishes he had an extra $100K to dive in the cra cra pool with you guys!

boostedf22c likes this.
  15. DE3

DE3 Active Member

And it's almost April. Isn't this the usual November December stuff?

Charlie Yannetti and boostedf22c like this.
  16. jeremyyouker

jeremyyouker Member

This is a relatively useless thread. If you look at all the National Event winners from last year, only 3 guys had more than 1 win. Bruno, Aragona, and Rampy. Lets not forget that all 3 guys drive cars in 2 different classes. More hits at the tree regardless if pro or sportsman makes the difference in my opinion. And don't forget Fletcher winning Pamona. He gets more hits at a tree in 1 year than most will accumulate in 5 years. It is solely on the driver. It IS a skill. Allowing delay boxes or going to pro tree will have the exact same results, red guys will be red and late guys will be late until they refine their own skill set letting off a button or clutch.

17. boostedf22c

I disagree with it not helping the red light situation. I've only gone red 1 time on .400 pro tree. And if I ever try and cut a light on a .500 sportsman I go red. Every time. If I try and split the lights, I'm dead late. I do agree with more time, and more hits on that style tree that could be improved upon, and I also agree that the same end results will probably be the same regardless. But there would be more races decided at the stripe instead of the tree on a .400 Pro tree. This is of course just my opinion.

#17 boostedf22c, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  18. jeremyyouker

jeremyyouker Member

So if your not red, what are you? And what do you mean "split lights"?

19. boostedf22c

I'm .100+ or so green on a .500 sportsman If wait until after I see the 3rd yellow, typically between .020-.060 on a .400 Pro Tree.

As far as splitting lights, The last yellow to green light on a .500 sportsman is what I'm referring too?

20. jeremyyouker

jeremyyouker Member

Understood....keep at it.

boostedf22c likes this.