Is it time to allow delay boxes or go to pro tree

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by rognelson777, Mar 26, 2018.

1. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

Not trying to stir anything up. Just trying to point out that over the years new driver starting line aids have been allowed, IE 2 step, roll control, transbrake, long button, and a delay box is a driver aid

would actually like to see a pro tree, but slower cars cannot react to that so would be a hindrence to them. Delay box for $300. can be put on any car.

2. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

The Comp Code of Arms has been stated by the man who created them...enough said

Joey arrowsmith likes this.
  3. arthodges706

arthodges706 Active Member

Couple things:
    Rognelson 777: It wont ever happen, you and Carrie fall from the same tree. Got all these fix its for comp but do not participate. You wanna fix it, get a car and come on out.
    Carrie: You come on this site telling us how shitty comp. is, trying to compare your car to a Pro Stock car, now telling us you have only went red on a 4 tenths tree once but suck at a 5 tenths tree. Have you ever thought that if you spent half the amount of time working on your car for the starting line as you do on this site maybe your lights will be better. You have a car that has all kinds of adjustments, do it and come on out or you will probably say, tech guys suck, pits suck, money sucks. Dude have you ever thought about switching teams, my ex said everything sucked.
    No doubt comp. is a messed up class, no room for the meek, look at Raymond hes gotta be frickin 80 and he just went to the final. ( great job)
    Conclusion: guys quit your bitchin and come on out and get your as kicked by the good guys. they are all good, even Clark.

4. Keith Rittenberry

Muscle memory comes solely from practice,and muscle memory is the only thing that will yield good lights consistently. Leave the delay box to the other classes, but don't over F-word someone with an idea.

Greg Hogue likes this.
  5. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

First off you spell my name Carey. It's below in my signature.

Second, I have never said Comp sucks. I have given my opinion when asked. And I chimed in here just saying I prefer a pro tree over a sportsman tree. Of course I could get better at a .500 sportsman tree. I also mentioned that in this thread. I've never asked anyone to change anything for me. I've never compared my car to Pro Stock car. I was asked by the producer of a show to see if I would be interested in racing a Pro Stock car. Of course I'm excited about that. Must mean I'm doing something right. Not really sure where all of this is coming from? And to be honest, you OBVIOUSLY don't know me at all. So I would quit the assumptions.

I have been to 2 races already this year, and my 3rd one will be in 2 weeks. All 3 being 2000+ mile round trips. What have you done this year?

tomh68154 likes this.
  6. arthodges706

fallen off a building, 22 staples in my head, not being able to drive for six months, that's what i've done this year.
    I will be at Virginia, CLT., Atl., SGMP, come on down.

7. boostedf22c

I already have my schedule set for this year. Indy LODRS and US Nationals are the only Comp events on the schedule.

#27 boostedf22c, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  8. boostedf22c

Well that would certainly explain the hostility and your bad reading comprehension skills.

9. rognelson777

Art, I read Alan Freese comments about the discussion you and he had about Comp. I agree wholeheartedly. As you say it is messed up, but I disagree it is hard to fix.
    Just go back to the way it was,with a minor change. Go more than .50 under anytime during the race weekend, your index gets looked at Monday after the race not during the race. . (See my plan below) I suggested this many years ago on here. and everybody said it will never work. Might as well try it because I do not see car counts increasing in this good economy.

No CIC, no mineshaft, no personal indexes and less classes.

What do I mean by looked at monday. With current technology, significantly better then when comp started, Use current horsepower correction factor calculators to correct run to the weather on the current index run. If the run in comparable conditions is better after that review, it is the new index, if there were great conditions, it does not change.

Will it take a lot of work to implement, and a couple years to fix the indexes, yes but my opinion is it will bring 1st to the finish line back to comp with as you say, bad ass racecars.

Why did I say delay boxes or pro tree, Comp is doing everything else, so why not?Mineshaft, personal index, temporary CIC during eliminations, sportsman ladder, raise indexes at the end of year because a few racers bombed the index.

#29 rognelson777, Mar 27, 2018
  10. rognelson777

Sorry to hear about your injury, Glad that you will back out racing. Good luck

11. arthodges706

Carrie, I will not debate with you. I do not have the time or the energy you must have on things like this. I saw the week long debate you had last year with Frankie. Obviously you are not getting the point. If you do not have a solution, willing to invest into comp do not put the class down or try and change what works. Guys go red every day, are late every day, I especially but i just choose to work on my junk rather than blame the tree or the process.
    Good luck in your endeavors.

12. arthodges706

Rognelson 777: You are asking of things that will not happen. I was against the personal for a long time but it does do its job. I am definitely against personal index on qualifying but again trying to even the playing field. The people that "bombed" there index know what they did and why they did so that's there issue.
    Look at it from the guys in the trenches, we just want to race with no bullshit. A guy like you comes on here and thinks he might have the solution. Until you come out here spend the money, do the traveling, work and drive one of these cars you will understand what we are saying.
    i applaud that you must be a fan to try and suggest some changes but delay boxes are against the holy grail, .4 tree will not be fair for all.

13. boostedf22c

Thanks. Good luck in yours as well.

14. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

This may be the best collection of responses that has ever been collected for why Comp is why Comp is......

15. rognelson777

Art not just a fan. My motorhome towed the I/dragster trailer to charlotte in 2014 that beat you in 2nd round of the 4 wide national event and it was a great 2nd round race to the finish line, with both cars working thru wheel spin.. By the way I drove most of the way from Phila area. to and from charlotte. so I have been in the trenches. 1 year 12 weekends away from home racing comp and other events.
    It is My brothers car with my nephew driving and they will not race comp with personal indexes.

So yes, I guess now I am just a fan

PS I think your car and all clutch cars are the hardest cars in comp to drive on a full tree. The turbo cars on the starting line are probably next.

#35 rognelson777, Mar 27, 2018
  16. arthodges706

Rognelson777,
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Well motor home driver doesn't really equate the trenches but I'm giving it to ya. But who am i. Yes that was a good race. I had to shut off, to close to center line and got my ass whipped. I think you know what i am saying. You have all these guys that are racing with no money, upside down rules, 5 day races (Gainesville example) long travel, have to be back to work Monday then they turn on the computer and some yahoo is saying how to fix comp.
    I am a bit opinionated, because it piss's me off. You have every right to suggest things but just rubs me the wrong way. This sight is to communicate with each other in a positive manner. I gotta admit I do like to dysfunction but I sure don't want to hear someone wanting to match race against a pro stock car, entirely two different animals. I wish you the best of luck and get that I/D back out here. BTW: what the fuck is your name

Brian Browell likes this.
  17. rognelson777

I thought when you are logged in my name shows at the bottom of my post

Now I will really stir the pot. Everyone who says protree is not for real drivers, then go tell Chris McGAha he is a wuss for racing on a pro tree. Why is that class any different than comp. They should be able practice a lot and work on their muscle memory. Basically Art your car is a Prostock car. (for those that do not know, you can do a handicap protree, I bracket race that way all the time)

#37 rognelson777, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  18. Andrew Holt

Andrew Holt New Member

I'm not sure I really want to enter this landmine/Syrian civil war of a conversation... but I've always wondering this and I've never really heard anyone bring this up or bitch about it.

As a stick car, I have to release the clutch only by a function of my leg, and shifting has to be a function of the driver... whether through a lever or button. As an automatic driver, you are allowed to leave by transbreak via a button, but the shifting is allowed to be automated.

Seems like the rules have allowed an obvious advantage to the automatic driver. Why is that?

I get it in a class like Stock.. where factory cars actually came with automatic shifters, and in reality you should be able to take a stock car and put some safety equipment in it and race Stock... but any class above that doesn't make sense to me... especially Comp.

I definitely wouldn't advocate stick drivers get an automatic shifter... I think in a class like Comp where it is a competition of the best man+machine...automation takes away the driver's part of the race.

I know this is not really the original intent of this post... but I've always thought this was an interesting rule... and probably a contributing factor to the evaporation of stick shift cars in drag racing (making sad face...).

boostedf22c and BenHolt like this.
  19. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

Wow you really stirred it up there. Stand back art it might boil over on your toes!!
    Clark Smiley

CWilliams likes this.
  20. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

Automatics belong in minivans that women drive to the grocery store and pickup the kids in. I don’t even know how to start an automatic.
    Clark Smiley