Is it time to allow delay boxes or go to pro tree

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by rognelson777, Mar 26, 2018.

1. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

Some of you are probably saying why am I bringing this stuff up?. My nephew who drove the I/Dragster is a 30 something (the young generation that do not race comp) who split parts and race expenses with his father on racing a comp car, he does the tuning, wiring and engine building. He has no interest in racing anymore since the implementation of the Personal index rule. His father builds engines and trans for the car as all the other mechanical items on the car.
    Also he does not like the full tree as he raced the Nopi series with a 9 second stick shift awd turbo 4cyl mitsubishi Eclipse, did pretty well with it in his class of comparable cars and would love to see a pro tree.

We discuss comp a lot and as is has no interest in running Comp any longer with the current rules..

2. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

We all make decisions for different reasons. My reasoning for not running as much Comp this year has nothing to do with the rules, or the class, I'm just not a big fan of NHRA overall. They have the most professionally run events, no doubt. Having raced in Super Stock, then Comp over the last 8 years I've got a ton of respect for the racers, their cars and their talents.

NHRA has a lot more competition these days than they once did. And luckily for me, I have a car that can race in other series. Where the racers are treated better, payouts are better and the promoters actually promote the racers. Again, this a knock against NHRA, not Comp or any of the Comp racers. I feel like Art and Frankie have misinterpreted where I'm coming from there.

I'm sure some will say, "then quit posting here and just leave" Well I would if I didn't give a shit about Comp. But I actually do. I literally built a brand new car to race in Comp. But then realized that currently there are better places for us to race.

#42 boostedf22c, Mar 29, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    toyotaturbo likes this.
  3. Greg Hogue

Greg Hogue Member

A Pro Tree is great if both cars are leaving together, but would never work well in handicap starts.
    Comp is the last stand for first to the finish line racing without all of the electronic cheats. I own a top dragster and I still am lost on to the setup on the BOX in the car. I'm really about ready to go to Stock or Super Stock where there is still skill in driving well without the delay box. I would give anything to have those 3 years of racing comp as a driver back. It was truly the highlight of my racing life and I've done some crazy stuff since but I still miss Buddy Nickens waving at me at 1000 foot or Bill Kent's Christmas card after I raced him in 5 first rounds divisional events before I had a real motor. We all have these stories. In the super categories, they barely know who in the other lane.
    Comp will start to come back. at least I hope because without comp it would be a dull place.
    As to red lights, many many players in comp have been really good over the years

4. Clint Neff

Clint Neff Well-Known Member

Well first Clark you must make sure its in Park. The rest is pretty much the same. It pretty simple youd catch on quick im sure. Oh and you can make trips to the store which is a huge plus lol.

5. Raymond Martin

Raymond Martin Active Member

429 K/AA Old Dude
    Art:
    Frigging 80?? I'm south of 80 (a little). I love you man.....

6. arthodges706

arthodges706 Active Member

Raymond, you are the he man. Tell this guy, you kicked my ass so not a big deal. All of you have kicked my ass some where and some time. Raymond’s nd, hope to see u soon.

7. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

ROFLMFAO!!!!!.. basically, nuff said... the last time I used one of those high zoot buttons in a Comp car, the throw was SOOOOO long that it hung up in my glove, and my light was .230 something... how about we lobby NHRA for one acceptable button, and one acceptable clutch switch... then we all have to go Ol Skool with changing launch rpm, or linkage and air gap adjustments to get the tree right..

SEEEEEEEEEEE!!.. all problems solved... and Pro Tree??.. how about LEARN TO DRIVE!!!... and iffin' yur always red, stay away from the coffee... just sayin'...

Greg Hogue likes this.
  8. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

Wait just a minute, Art.. you're saying that Raymond kicked your ass??.. but Landies says that he's an old man, and Supinkski says that he shits bigger than Raymond.. ARE YOU SURE??... love you guys... even Smiley...

9. boostedf22c

I often thought about having a beer or two before giving the ole sportsman tree a go.

Or even a punch in the face. Haha.

Greg Hogue and Matt like this.
  10. deuces wild

deuces wild Member

Clark the left lane had some issues too. The light kept flickering on my son in our SS and I watched him bump in deeper and it still flickered. He ended up with a .204 light. Oh well we'll go to Ennis and try this shit again! By the way no delay boxes! Comp is bad ass!!!!

11. Clint Neff

Clint Neff Well-Known Member

I was watching Live timing and saw some strange 60 foot times

12. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

Yes Clint, Friday's right lane was about .06 quick

13. Larry Santucci

Try waiting 4 seconds at the tree while your opponent is going down the track, then your side of the Pro Tree lights up.

14. boostedf22c

I’ve waited 7 seconds at the tree before in super stock. And would love a Pro Tree over the slow one.