It's Time!

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Pete Hanratty, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Pete Hanratty

Pete Hanratty Member

12 cars! Regardless of the many reasons for the decline in comp entries. It is time to revitalize the class. Each and every 7 and 8 second Copo, Stang, and Challenger should have a class and the OPTION to run Comp. Throw those badass Hemi Cudas in there too. Any category that runs a shootout, pretty much runs the car out the back door so indexes should be able to be pretty much spot on out of the gate. I hear that many Stock and Super Stock guys can't get into national events due to quotas. This would allow cars to Step UP to COMP, and open a spot up for people who want to support NHRA and are being turned away. Don't make it mandatory, but give them the choice. It is not uncommon for the real fast cars to run the shootout or class and then head home rather than participate in eliminations. Give them a place to RUN IT OUT! This could be a win-win. Factory support of Comp cars would be great. Quite honestly, many of those cars would have a better shot of winning in Comp as well being that there are 32 rather than 64 or more.

Go Ahead... Flame Away!

Pete Hanratty A/DA 189

comp618, guitar builder, FLAT and 2 others like this.
  2. Shaun Vincent

Shaun Vincent Member

100% agree. All we would be doing is given them an option, just like we do for the pro mod guys. Wont hurt anything to add 1 or 2 more classes. Those factory and hemi guys spend more money then the majority of comp guys, so that wont be an issue. Isn't $450 to win first round at a national event? Lot better chance of doing that in Comp then going rounds in SS and Stk.

Waters warm!

comp618 and guitar builder like this.
  3. Jack Issi

Jack Issi Member

Like Trump said in a campaign speech to black voters "What the hell do you have to lose?"o_O

guitar builder likes this.
  4. welkerm

welkerm New Member

Give SS/AH a comp index and I would be entered in it at the next race. I would love the option to run comp with my car.

guitar builder and comp6869 like this.
  5. Clint Neff

Clint Neff Well-Known Member

Been reading my mind!

6. Cour Family Racing

Cour Family Racing New Member

i think Comp's demise has been hastened by NHRA's decision to give the hood-scoop cars the choice of moving to Super Stock. Putting them back in Comp is a start, but only a start.

Brian Cour

7. Al Wisniewski

Al Wisniewski New Member

How about taking the "stocker" motors from the Copo,'Stang and Challenger and putting them in a dragster or altered? Just thinkin'. Crate Motor Comp.

8. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

I think that's a cool idea.

9. Keith Mawhee

Keith Mawhee New Member

This is a very good idea. I honestly believe the (steel-bodied) COPO's, CJ's & DP's will become the next generation of Pro Stock anyway. Why not get the ball rolling in Comp?

I believe the Hemi Super Stockers would be just as welcome an addition. And as Hanratty pointed out, these guys haven't been sand-bagging- it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to establish a 'fair' index for them.

And from the 'die-hards' to the younger fans, these cars would be VERY popular with spectators.

Too bad this wasn't brought up a few months back.

10. hickeybros

hickeybros Member

i have heard of some good ideas,but this is a great one

11. Michael Compton

I think it is a great idea. Comp needs some new blood or it will go away. Adding the new cars and Hemi's would add a new level of excitement.

12. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

13. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

What's this crate motor shit ? Let them work on & bring their best shit ! That's what comp is about !

SEAN DODD and guitar builder like this.
  14. acCOMPlice

acCOMPlice Member

I am not sure what the solution to the low car count is either but it sure seems that NHRA is not one bit interested in Comp. Between pulling Comp from races that would help increase car counts to canceling qualifying when Alcohol and Nitro repeatedly oil the track down I sure don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling at the track. I overheard one Comp racer this weekend say that he spoke to Graham Light and that Graham said that the car count is not the problem with Comp. Graham evidently would not elaborate on that statement. Is it possible that NHRA does not want to tech the cars in Comp because it is too labor intensive for them. I don't know and that is just speculation on my part. I also heard that there was going to be an NHRA meeting, possibly tomorrow, regarding Comp. I am not sure if the Division Reps will be involved or not but I sure would like to know what is going on. Call your rep and see if they know anything and post it here.

Cody Lane and guitar builder like this.