Limiting to 2 classes a year - your thoughts

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna Administrator

We touched base on this in the future of dragsters thread.

I want to get you, the racer's feedback on the pro's and con's of limiting each competitor to only running 2 classes a year. You still have to have a bad hot rod, you just don't have to have 18 bad hot rods....

I also heard a suggestion of if you make a permanent hit to a class, you have to run it one or two more races...kind of a sleep in the bed you made in type of deal.

Personally I think it would take less of a budget to chase national and divisional points. Class versatility is making too much of a presence in Comp these days.

I don't fault one bit the guys that are set up to be versatile. The current rules make it advantagous to run a versatile car like a Super Mod. There has been a trend the last few years of creating more classes, but in many cases, the index is created too soft.

Rather than create new classes to allow other combo's versatility, I think versatility should be limited.

Whats your thoughts?

2. Shane Heckel

Shane Heckel Active Member

I agree,2 seem fair to me and makes it where a guy with a dragster still has a chance at glory!IM NOT BASHING ANYONE,I understand the game but a simple rule change sure would make you think twice about the future of a class or better yet YOUR CLASS.My 2 cents

3. Div3Racr

Div3Racr New Member

No Offense

Sorry But I have learned my lesson on here. Don't recommend any changes. Comp races don't want change. I posted a what if. Don't change anything. The "Guys" with money will feel discriminated against if they can't bash all the indexes they want

Sorry Again I'll get off my soap box now

Modified Eliminator is still in our hearts

4. Brian Browell

Brian Browell Active Member

I agree and had brought this subject up to the powers to be 2 years ago , thats how it use to be we I first started running comp.

5. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

I was initially concerned about racers being limited to just 2 classes....... BUT, looking at the overall situation in Comp today it makes perfect sense....... a 2 class limit would pull the reigns in a bit on those with enough money to jump from class to class......... it would also make the dragster classes a little more competitive........ I'm all for the limitation........

6. Dave Ring

Dave Ring Member

On the other forum, Bill Morse raised a good point-you are limited to two classes if you hit the index.

7. Will Hanna

Will Hanna Administrator

$$

make no bones about it, money will still have a way to find it's advantages. i just think it will make it a little tougher.

like i mentioned in the other thread, this would be the stick and ball sport equivalent of a salary cap of sorts.

i think with a two class system, horsepower will be at more of a premium. so will index responsibilty. comp is only class that to win you have to have hp and you have to drive the big end. class versatility lessens the importance of the stripe. just get there and worry about the index next week when you get back to the shop. if you don't have that luxury of just bolting the 2 carb plate on next week and jumping down a class, or if you only get to do that once, then the stripe comes at more of a premium.

overall index hits will go down in my opinion because everyone's index will be at more of a premium.

8. Steve Polhill

Steve Polhill Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree Will.. If everyone was limited to 2 classes they would value their index's alittle more.. Stupid Me the car I'm building I'm stuck in one class unless I build a dragster.. So you can bet I'll be as easy on my index as I can be.. Most of us only run one maybe two classes anyway.. It would merely limit those with an insane budget.. It won't stop them from pouring money into a combination, but it will stop them from bashing their index and everyone elses.. just my 2 cents

9. todd scheerer

todd scheerer Member

I agree that 2 classes per season should be enough for claiming points. We can claim 5 of 8 divisionals and 3 of 6 nationals, two classes should be plenty for that. If someone wants to run more than 2, then those points don't count, just like any races after 8 divisionals or 6 nationals. Most of us are trying to be competitive in one class, if we get bombed, we're done. This rule wouldn't necessarily stop the class hopping, but it would reduce the reward to event purses.

The best example is the winningest driver in the class. He's a championship favorite every year, how many classes does he need?

10. Rick Troutner

Rick Troutner Member

I agree with the cap of two classes. I am also wondering if the next step for the well funded guys is how do you deal with multi car teams. Will the shift money to more cars and aggresive blocking. I also think any new class should not have a cap on the index hits for the first season.

11. Will Hanna

Will Hanna Administrator

multi car teams

there's no realistic way to limit multi car sportsman teams.

it has it's positives. good drivers like jeff taylor, brian self, scott benham among others may not have rides this year without multi car teams.

in a 2 class system, its still a hell of a lot harder to do damage even with a team concept.

change the wording from being able to 'claim' 2 classes a year to being able to 'run' 2 classes a year will really limit the ability of a team to have a blocker car 'bombing' other indexes. take the driver out of the mix and limit each chassis tag # to 2 classes a year.

in that scenario, class versatility will have a much smaller role in a championship. championships will go to good drivers in a good hot rod instead of good drivers in a lot of hot rods.