More ideas

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Brian Landies, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Frank Aragona Jr.

Frank Aragona Jr. Active Member

What dancing around? I answered and by the way I am not "getting the new racers". If I could go to the store and pick them off the shelf I would. I am communicating with everyone and anyone I can to try and help increase participation. How in the world you see this negatively I have no idea.

2. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

Frank, its apparent that your actions are good intentioned, and I definitely appreciate what you and the other reps do. However, as a rep don't you think you should just listen and not get involved in the back and forth? It seems like that's what the reps should do after gathering all the opinions of everyone? I understand the passion you have towards Comp and some of the feedback you get might not make sense to you as you've done it your whole life. So things that appear simple to you and others aren't to some. But some of us newbies to Comp came from an entirely different genre of racing so we do have differing opinions from another point of view.

I feel and hope that everyone has the best intentions to help Comp grow and stay current.

#22 boostedf22c, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    FLAT and Backyard Bandit like this.
  3. Frank Aragona Jr.

I don't see how I am not listening and involved??? I think you confuse my opinion as a racer with what I represent when it comes to being an SRAC rep. So I will say this again, as the D1 SRAC rep I put forward a large effort to get opinion's and thoughts from all of my D1 racers through emails, personal conversations, meetings at the track and group conference calls on any and all issues that arise around Comp. When NHRA looks to the SRAC for feedback I vote as the majority of my D1 racers want me to and NOT with my personal opinion as a racer.
    If you don't believe that or don't think I am not doing that, there's nothing more I can say about it.

4. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

You don't need to say anything else. That's the point. Lol. I'm not asking for your opinion, you are asking for ours. ;)

FLAT likes this.
  5. Frank Aragona Jr.

I appreciate you communicating, its what we need.

6. JoshLee769

JoshLee769 New Member

I like the idea of simplifying the class, and taking .6 or .7 off everything. If you go faster than your index you ding it. My biggest gripe is not the complexity of comp, although it would help attract people and sponsors if the class was easier to understand. When I decided to build a comp car it was because I love the class but I could possibly break even every race. But the year I got my car up and running qualifying money disappeared. And contingencies have dwindled down every year. This is a big hit for me. NHRA hasn't upped the payouts since the 80s, $2000 today doesn't go very far compared to 30 years ago. We are putting my engine back together and hopefully will be at Vegas. So for me, cost is a huge thing, as it is for the younger crowd. If comp is to grow back to 32 plus cars at every event you need to attract the younger crowd. Now I don't have a good idea on how to do just that, but making the class easier to understand, bringing back qualifying money, a bigger purse, racing comp at all the national events, and other perks would help out tremendously.

Brian Browell likes this.
  7. Backyard Bandit

I proposed lowering the indexes .5 a few years ago at a meeting Frank had at an Englishtown divisional. Almost everyone there laughed at the idea and most didn't understand why. I think this is a great idea!

8. Shaun Vincent

Shaun Vincent Member

I brought the same thing to Rob Parks a couple years ago and he told me it wont improve car counts so why do it?

I agree with taking .5 off. You go .01 under you have CIC for next round, you go .11 under you are hit .01 on Monday. Simple!

9. Frank Aragona Jr.

Hi Josh,
    Its good to hear from you, it is important that we do. I will continue to see what the majority opinion is on this idea so everyone that communicates, helps. It would be great if everyone sent emails to their reps.
    I hear you on the payout situation. It definitely hasn't increased which is actually a decrease itself. The contingencies are also dwindling as you mentioned. The way I understand it is that the manufacturers are not interested or not able to contribute. I truly don't know how we can help that but I would like to hear any thoughts.
    Comp at all the national events is one of the only ideas that pretty much 100% everyone agrees on and the SRAC will continue lobbying for it.

10. Frank Aragona Jr.

Isn't that all just about math???

11. projack

projack Member

[QUOTE=" If comp is to grow back to 32 plus cars at every event you need to attract the younger crowd. Now I don't have a good idea on how to do just that, but making the class easier to understand, bringing back qualifying money, a bigger purse, racing comp at all the national events, and other perks would help out tremendously.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this....and to speak on part of racing at more nationals...For the life of me, I can't figure out why Phoenix, Sonoma and Brainerd don't have Comp. These divisions need more nationals for it to grow. It took forever for Brainerd to realize that they should put the divisional before the national, and when they finally do, no comp. If you are an out of division racer looking for a place to go, you will look at the races that have back to back to make it worth the drive. But when it was just the national, why would people make the drive all the way to Brainerd for just one race? I think that race would get much better car counts if they had comp at both the divisional and national back to back weekends.

12. Clint Neff

Clint Neff Well-Known Member

I don't think Frank is arguing with any of that Brian. I know and im sure he does too that there exists a problem mainly with low car counts.

Now Ill chime in with my peaceful response. NHRA has made changes over the last 5-10 years whether it be with the personal indexes or whatever else. Its not about me not wanting to make changes cause im all for it if its gonna help but the personal index was a big change. Well it hasnt made any big or maybe any increase in participation but its only a little over a year old.

I mean ya some of the listed ideas people have had may have relevance but you cant have 10 ideas spewed at once and expect the response to be an overjoy of positive feedback. I mainly see no reason to make a bunch of sudden changes when I think the personal index needs a good 2 or 3 years to work its way to either work great or be a complete failure! Nothing and i dont care what it is will make an overnight improvements.

Taking .70 away
    going pro ladder
    heads up classes
    Perm/ no perm hits in same class races(The one that got this all started)

Those are just a handful of whats been thrown out there. I quite honestly was too busy with my occupation of work to continue reading them!

The only one nobody mentioned was, maybe we should run our tow rigs heads up to decide lane choice(Could have missed that one lol).

Maybe theres some great ideas out there but until we get them through emails to the reps which the contact addresses have been posted. It does no good to get in a pissing match. I dont care if your an ex comp racer, fan, wanna be, legend, die hard or whatever. Your opinion matters! Until we can start working from the money stand point these are all just useless ideas cause theres no guarantee that its gonna bring cars in! Period!

ken reich likes this.
  13. Frank Aragona Jr.

I really am not getting your point now but here are my responses to each below labeled 1-5:

Here is your response to me suggesting that making the class easier to understand would be a positive thing

"I really doubt that making people understand Comp in the stands is the answer to increase participation"

1-This is my personal opinion which you don't want to hear because it doesn't agree with you.

Then I asked where the new racers come from if not the stands and you responded

"You can be one of them, LOL They are coming."

2 - You have a Comp car don't you? I tell you that guys are calling me about coming out and you don't believe it.

So I asked again, from where?

"They are welcomed from anywhere and everywhere."

3- What answer are you looking for? New means new, do you want addresses?

So I asked if it's such a bad idea why does everyone on this thread agree with it

"Brian, you are way off base. It seems you're the one who wants to be right. Out of the 8 of you that agree this idea would be good 5 of you are not currently running Comp."

4- I guess you think because 8 people feel its a good idea it should get implemented. I don't see things that way. I go by what the majority over all thinks and common sense would seem it matters more if you are or are going to run the class.

"What dancing around? I answered and by the way I am not "getting the new racers". If I could go to the store and pick them off the shelf I would. I am communicating with everyone and anyone I can to try and help increase participation. How in the world you see this negatively I have no idea."

No where in there do I see an answer on where new comp racers might be coming from, well not an answer from you anyhow. You simply dismissed the idea of making the class easier to understand because, there it is! The old you don't run comp answer. I can see this is pretty much pointless. Have fun boys

5- Again on the where, I don't know what answer you expect. I did not dismiss anything, you just don't like my personal opinion. As I said many times, as an SRAC rep I and the other reps lobby for what the majority wants us to but you think we don't.
    I continue to encourage you and everyone else to put your ideas in writing to your rep. I don't think you understand that's what I am on here promoting.

14. Frank Aragona Jr.

Clint seems to understand me.

15. Steve Polhill

Steve Polhill Active Member

So basically all this does is switch permanent hits from .6 under to .7 under. I've said it before taking away or adding to every index accomplishes NOTHING.

16. robert1555

robert1555 Member

Well I'm going to chime in here. I'm one of the guys sitting on the sidelines and I've chimed in on these posts in the past and when brought up any ideas for change and asked if we were going to do something or stand around with our dicks in our hand I pretty much got told I didn't have a dog in the fight and sit down and shut up. Well I've been a continuous member of NHRA for 45 years. I've maintained my competition license and the same permanent number I got back in the '70's. I haven't raced since the Fall Nationals in October of 2006. I've been working pretty hard to get back out but I'm like a lot of you, there are a lot of other responsibilities related to occupation, family and other things that have prevented me from getting back out but I don't want to see this class get dissolved like Modified Eliminator did. I'm working hard to get back out this fall but I'm dam sure going to be out in 2018. With all that said I think there have been a LOT of good ideas brought up on this and other threads on this site. I'm not comfortable with how these ideas are being put in front of all parties involved. I don't understand how the SRAC's get the ideas brought up to them to all parties involved? I've never been asked my opinion on an idea outside of this forum and I've never seen a compiled list of ideas that have been brought up but don't you think there should be a means of getting these ideas out to everyone, not just one division or ones on this forum? Maybe the SRAC's communicate more than I know about and maybe I don't know anymore than I do because I'm a sidelines guy. I'm passionate about this sport and I'm passionate about this class and I want to see it thrive and not die on the vine. So...even if I don't have a say I'm holding up my hand right here and right now saying "hey Craig Bourgeois, I'll help anyway I can to gather information, compile information, locate ex comp racers, make poll mail-outs, whatever to help this class survive, thrive and grow". So my comment from the last time I posted on here of "are we going to do something or are we going to stand around with out dicks in our hands" still stands. Now I'll go sit down and shut up...but not for long.

Robert Edgar
    4164 Comp

projack and Charlie Yannetti like this.
  17. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

Excellent question, Brian.. we all know that back in the day, new racers evolved from racing families.. racers like Frank Aragona Jr, Steve Szupka, the Schonberger brothers, Ian Landies, Jenny Treadwell, Randy Daniels, etc, etc.. OK.. OK.., even Clark.. I don't mean to leave anyone out, but the point is that is how it seemed to work over the years..

I'm not witnessing this anymore at the track.. and guys who worked with Comp teams, are not moving into Comp themselves anymore.. it all comes down to dollars, cents, and sense.. many would love to, but simply can't afford the price tag of Comp.. many can't even afford TD or TS, because that class has gotten out of control.. look at the crazy money being spent to run STK and SS these days.. it makes no sense to many anymore.. so, IF they race at all, it's in a Super class, or maybe not at all..

My point is, Comp is a great class, full of innovation and performance, but there has to be something done economically to attract new teams..

On several occasions, I brought the Spec Class idea to this board, which was quickly put to rest by old thinking.. there are good ideas out there.. I hear them in different shops all the time.. hopefully these guys are the one's that Frank is referring to when he says he gets many calls.. that is, if the calls aren't about people like me breaking balls all the time...

BUT, I think that Brian's question deserves an educated answer.. one that can be turned into a concept, and maybe even a direction to go in, because this present situation is certainly NOT working...

#37 Charlie Yannetti, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  18. Charlie Yannetti

Excellent post, Robert.. you hit a few things directly on the head.. and I will thank you, for what it's worth, for your willingness to step up and be involved..

I know that the SRAC reps are very busy running their own lives and businesses, while also trying to be our reps.. not an easy task.. maybe it's not really something for ACTIVE COMP RACERS to be doing, but maybe a respected INACTIVE COMP RACER, who doesn't have a dog in the fight anymore, but wants Comp to survive.. I did say respected, so that probably takes me out of the picture.. but there are a bunch of smart, old school drag racers out there, with a life's need to remain involved SOMEHOW..

Like you Robert, I've been involved in Comp, one way or another, since the mid 90's, and like you, I have never been asked any questions, or solicited for any information or input, other than someone looking for speed secrets.. LOL!!!.. and I've gotten the same comments that you have.. when I crew, I'm only a crew guy, or a tow guy.. when I drive, you're only a test dummy, not a real driver or car owner.. and now, I'm just an INACTIVE COMP RACER, just like you.. kinda feels like in school when you wanted so badly to play, but were never picked to play, because you weren't particularly liked by those picking, and their chosen friends.. and then laughed at when you voiced your opinion... SOUND FAMILIAR??.. but how ever I'm described, or looked upon, my opinions, thoughts, or experiences don't count.. EXCEPT on here, where I can lambaste your asses... LMAO!!!

I'd like to know how many guys, who appear on the qualifying sheet from 25 to 32, are solicited for information, or even talked to, or even looked upon as anything other than First Round Dog Meat... OH!!.. THAT'S RIGHT!!... we haven't seen 25 to 32 in a while now, except maybe Indy... like Brian says, "it's working"... IMAGINE THAT!!!

19. Frank Aragona Jr.

Charlie,
    I think you know that it doesn't matter to me where you qualify. I communicate with anyone and everyone willing to in D1. I have been on every position on the qualifying sheet and off it, that should not matter and does not to me.

20. Charlie Yannetti

Yes Frank, I know that you have been at almost every position on the ladder.. probably one of the facts that has made you a great Comp racer.. just remember that I was there to witness it.. I even watched you bracket race at E-Town as a kid.. just sayin'..

Truth be told, I have never been approached by you, or anyone other than Len Imbrogno, over the years to discuss ANYTHING.. I did attend a Comp meeting, held in the stands at E-Town, a few years back.. I was told at that meeting that I was only Vinny Barone's crew chief, and had no voice... but it didn't come from you, Frank, so I still have respect.. just don't say you talk to EVERYBODY, cause you don't...

And you missed my point about the ladder, I guess... it was that we haven't seen 25 to 32 cars for quite a while now.. even at the supposed premier races...