More ideas

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Brian Landies, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Frank Aragona Jr.

Frank Aragona Jr. Active Member

Charlie,
    I know you did and I appreciate you saying that.

Most of my communication with the D1 comp racers is through email, some texting and some phone. I have made my information public many times and you see me on a daily basis at the races but you have NEVER asked to be included and offered me your contact info so YES I DO. Many others have not either and that's a big reason I have been using this forum, I encourage it as you know. I truly hope to see you running Comp whether you believe it or not.

2. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

OK Frank.. thanks for your honesty... I just didn't realize that I had to ask to be included.. I guess that's my bad, right??..

Anyway, I publicly offer my email, and cell, and my assistance when needed:

zipper1913@gmail.com
    201-906-9085

3. Frank Aragona Jr.

I will send you an email asking about your Comp plans for 2017 and beyond.

Charlie Yannetti likes this.
  4. robert1555

robert1555 Member

Frank I applaud what you're trying to do. I really do. I just think there needs to be a means to get these ideas to all the racers to vote on. Get them out there, vote on them, compile the ones that the majority likes, shelve or discard the ones that the majority dislikes. Now you have received feedback from all the racers and have a list of ideas to present to NHRA that have been reviewed and voted on by all the racers. I know there are polls on this site but they're only getting about 40 responses per poll. I'd like to think that there are 100 racers or so out there now. Is there a better way to get these ideas in front of all racers? I know you're going to ask what is the definition of a "racer". Let's say "active racers". But wouldn't it be a good idea to also get responses from some of the other "groups" like owners, crew chiefs, spectators, sponsors, inactive racers, racers considering moving to Comp, etc, etc, etc? At the very minimum their ideas should be presented to the active racers to vote on. I think a lot of the bickering will go away if there is a means for an idea to be presented and voted on. If their idea is put out there and the majority votes on it then they live with the answer of the majority.

Robert Edgar
    4164 Comp

Charlie Yannetti and Clint Neff like this.
  5. Clint Neff

Clint Neff Well-Known Member

Great response Robert!

Charlie Yannetti likes this.
  6. Frank Aragona Jr.

Hi Robert,
    Thank you and I am glad that you posted. I can tell you that we all discuss ideas and vote on them in my division then I discuss them with the other reps and NHRA. I include drivers and owners but leave it up to them to discuss the thoughts with their individual teams so it does not become an overwhelming amount of information to sort through. In addition I completely welcome ideas, thoughts and communication from others such as you mentioned, like spectators, sponsors, inactive racers, racers considering moving to Comp, etc, etc, etc. Unfortunately this is not a full time paid gig for me so I also need people to contact me and I will do the best I can do. I also welcome any assistance but not everyone has the time to volunteer. I have been an SRAC rep since its inception and the thing I will tell you is the hardest is to get everyone to come together and agree.

7. robert1555

robert1555 Member

I can't agree with you more about the difficulty getting everyone to come together and agree. From someone sitting on the sidelines trying to get back in the game, I have read a lot of posts on this site and without question that is the one thing that stands out. Do you and the other SRAC's maintain an email list or some other means of communication with all the current licensed Comp drivers in your Division? A mailing address should be something NHRA readily has available. List of owners and crew chiefs from the drivers should be pretty easy to assemble. And a list of representatives from the companies paying contingencies? Spectators will be harder but the guys, and gals, who are helping the teams out would be a good start. Hell, someone could go up in the stands during qualifying and eliminations and talk to everyone one of them since you can count them on one hand. But put some real effort into organizing a good list. Is this how you SRAC's communicate now? Maybe it is but from looking on the outside in it doesn't appear that way. Lets make Comp a class that is different from the rest. Let's know more about our active racers, crew chiefs, engine builders, sponsors, spectators, inactive racers, etc, and have a means of addressing and voting on ideas so when you guys go to NHRA you have ideas that have been voted on by all the racers, you have the data to support the ideas, all with the intention of improving and growing the class of Comp. There are a lot of good ideas that don't seem to get voted on by the guys actively running the class. Sure seems like a lot of frustration and even anger would go away if everyone voted on the proposed idea and the results were reported back to everyone. Majority rules.

8. Frank Aragona Jr.

Yes I keep an email mailing list and I am pretty sure all the other SRAC reps do as well. Here is a list to contact your rep or any other, we would be happy to hear from you.

9. Frank Aragona Jr.

10. robert1555

robert1555 Member

Just sent the below email to all 7 Division SRAC's. Below that is the attached list of ideas I reference in the email:

SRAC's,

My name is Robert Edgar and I'm an inactive Comp racer that is trying to get back into the class. I've been a continuous NHRA member for 45 years, have maintained my Competition Driver's License since it's inception and have the same Permanent Number that I as issued in the early '70's when I believe it was first mandated.

I originally raced in Modified Eliminator and watched it be eliminated at the end of the 1981 season. I don't want to see the same thing happen to Competition Eliminator. I've been reading some posts on the website insidecompracing.com and from just standing back and reading the posts from these guys it seems to me that there is quite a bit of frustration that their ideas aren't being presented to all the active racers so that they can determine if it's a good idea that you guys can present to NHRA for consideration to improve the Class so it can thrive and grow.

I've been told that each of you have a contact list for all licensed drivers in your Division. When an idea is brought to you, do you have a means of contacting everyone on your contact list, obtaining their vote and then communicating the results of that vote back to everyone and finally communicating back to everyone what was NHRA's decision on that idea? Again, from just reading the posts it sounds like there might be room for improvement there. Attached is a list of 20 ideas that I just picked out of some of the posts on insidecompracing.com Can you guys go through the above process on these ideas? These are rough and I think each idea has some background that goes with it as to why that person thinks it's a good idea and I think the background needs to be included in the voting process. There are some good ones, some really good ones, some bad ones and some really bad ones but that is just my opinion. I think there will be a lot less frustration if people know that their idea will be presented to everyone to be voted on and they see the results of the voting.

OK, you've got a contact list for all licensed drivers. Do you also have contact lists for Owners, Crew Chiefs, Spectators, Inactive Racers and the like? These groups want the class to thrive too. Some may not have skin in the game but if an Owner is different than the Driver he sure does. And if a Spectator has an idea that has no affect on the racers but makes it easier to understand the Class and more fun to watch then his/her's idea becomes very important. Do you guys have those kind of contact lists? There is a real "Community" in Comp and we need to bring them all together to "Make Comp Great Again".

Just want the class to thrive and grow. When I get back in the game I will race as the rules dictate. But I know I will feel better if I bring up an idea that it will be presented to all and if the majority is against it then I'll show up and play by what the majority wants.

Robert Edgar
    559 Sandy Mountain Drive
    Sunrise Beach Village, TX 78643
    robert1555@Hotmail.com

1.)Take, F/D for instance. Current index (class) is 8.59, record is a 7.88. The index would become 7.90. Only way I hit the index is if I go 7.89 or quicker (which is BAD fast). Then the fan in stands would see my 7.89 as a BAD run because the index was 7.90.

2.)take away 7 tenths from everybody

3.)take.5 off. You go .01 under you have CIC for next round, you go .11 under you are hit .01 on Monday

4.)run on a pro ladder

5.)Use pro handicap tree

6.)Allow delay boxes

7.)Comp at all the national events

8.)put the divisional event before the national event

9,)eliminate temporary index hits and only get penalized after the completion of the event

10.)Adjust indexes after weekend based on performance versus weather conditions

11.)Eliminate altitude adjusted indexs

12.)Pay qualifying money and round money

13.)Develop a model making the class look more like a series organizing on its own informative website not a fourm similar to a division web site or promod type site with news racer and car pics sponsor info. Where companies can do direct contingencies info the Reps would need to run this more like a division Rep would as ideas come together they can share them making one model on this site this would help new reps become effective sooner and simpler. sponsors like to be involved where other sponsors are not by them self.

14.)You need racer Outreach seminars at select races with volunteers like David rampy Bruno massel Frank argona Jr Brian Browell Glen Treadwell talking Comp & driving techniques and just being approachable.

15.)In final round there is no cic in effect and there will be no personal or class index hits

16.)same class runs CIC for event but no perm hit

17.)personal indexs eliminated at end of the year

18.)when same class cars run each other its heads up, no personal indexs apply, no permanent or personal hits.

19.)Hand out participation award trophies

20.) take 0.20 away from everybody and let people race again

boostedf22c likes this.
  11. Backyard Bandit

Wow! I like this guy!

12. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

You may want to delete #19 before Clark sees it. Lol