NHRA Pro Stock and spec heads

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Jeremy Tanksley, Jul 29, 2013.

1. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

What about running the newer Ford "Top Fuel" Stock/SS CobraJets in Comp too? Or at least the motors? I'd love to see a 5 lbs/cube N/A; 7.5 lbs Power adder, Altered class with the CJ, Copo and DragPak Challenger based motors. Carl Tasca runs 7.70's at damn near 180 with a Clutch, Liberty, BIG blower and 3100 lbs.. Let's knock 600 lbs off, give it the altered chassis, big tires and see what it does.

I might actually go get a real job to pay for such a thing if it were ever allowed.

2. maverick

maverick Member

Anything to get the factory involved in comp would be a great idea.

3. Craig Bourgeois

No I was thinking let them run on their own index, as they do now. Say something like an 8.90 or so. With the same rules as they have right now, not the rules that they are going to have next year. It gives these guys a place to race with their present combo.

4. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

I like it.

5. cutta

cutta Member

I think the SS/AH idea is great but I do think that if they add the class they should find a way to open it up to other brands. I only say this because you consumers are typically GM fans and racers on the sidelines are probably not going to jump at the chance to build an AH car. The group running them now is a pretty select group so opening it up to other brands would offer more opportunity to get more participants involved. This kind of reminds of the Nostalgia Modified class that Mr. Tankseley suggested earlier this year.

Would there be any good way to structure the rules to allow all makes making the SS/AH cars feel welcomed at the same time?

6. Jeremy Tanksley

Exactly. I was about to post this same thing a hundred times. I could probably count all of the SS/AH cars on just my fingers and toes.

If there just had to be new classes, then how about scout from a larger pool of prospects? Something that's more cost effective to build, and nothing too odd-ball (example: Turbo four or six cylinder)? Considering that a dragster is the most cost effective rolling chassis to build from scratch, and they go the fastest with the least expensive engine investment, why not bring in more dragster classes? And better yet, there's thousands of them out there in America right now. Can you say the same for a Hemi car?

I'm not so sure that Hemi cars are some big ticket for Comp.

7. JSwartz3300

JSwartz3300 New Member

Sorry Jeremy for hi-jacking your P/S thread. Maybe we should start a new one.

8. lsp

lsp New Member

Pick up your box and shocks from tech when you get to the track, give 'em back Sunday night.

9. randy wilson

randy wilson Member

spec head in pro stock

I truly don't know how to save pro stock. I think pro stock is, well, pro stock. Same for nastalgia econo mod. I want comp guys opinion to see if there is room in there for them? I do think it would help car counts. Say, A, B, and C, with brodix spec heads. I know we've beat that to death, but now seems like a time to at least look at it.

10. Jeremy Tanksley

While I do give your idea merit, and being that reducing costs could only help the class, it does however mean that NHRA would have to buy and service over 20 sets of shocks and buy dozens of MSD boxes. Then think if a spare is needed. You'd have racers yelling at NHRA for giving them bad parts, etc.

Thing is, as expensive as shocks and controllers are, you don't buy them every season or two. It takes several if not more seasons of use to buy new, or the latest setup on the market. Also, they do not carry with them a yearly commitment price when buying the best. The upfront costs are a setback, but nothing like heads.

11. lsp

lsp New Member

NHRA doesn't have to handle it, someone like JRI can.

Put them all in the same box, get in line, pick yours and everyone else in line gets to see.

Same thing with the ignition boxes.

12. Jeremy Tanksley

Wouldn't it be best to just give a required part number? Kinda like the MSD TCD boxes? What if a guy just wanted to go test? Would be nice to test with the shocks you race with.