NHRA SRAC Comp Eliminator Meeting

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by RamAirV, Feb 16, 2017.

1. RamAirV

RamAirV Member

2. comp6869

comp6869 Member

I would like to see compeliminator stay for years, adding more classes for stk and super stock competitors to join seems like a bandaid. It's kinda like what politicians do, I'm not trying to put a negative spin on this idea. We need more help from suppliers and the NHRA, cause eventually the blood leaks through the bandaid.

Chad Perkin

3. Frank Aragona Jr.

Frank Aragona Jr. Active Member

The conference call was all very positive. Items discussed were;
    1- NHRA is in NO WAY eliminating Competition Eliminator.
    2- Positive effects of the changes made last year with the PI system and how some division reps have confirmed reports of a few new entries and racers returning from past years that will be out this year in their respective divisions.
    3- NHRA is committed to an effort grow the class. In doing so this may require change. The racers are the best place to look to for thoughts on change.

Personally I suggest if anyone has an idea to offer please forward a well explained letter to your division SRAC representative. Please try to be as detailed as possible including, pro's, con's, supporting data, facts, figures, etc.
    It will behoove all of us who want Comp to prosper to be realistic, concise, unselfish, positive and work together.

4. Cour Family Racing

Cour Family Racing New Member

Rumor has it Graham Light wants Comp gone. His cohorts are said to be wary of legal ramifications.

5. Frank Aragona Jr.

Brian,
    I hope we have enough mutual respect for each other since our families go back along way. I don't want to debate hearsay and rumors on a forum. I know you love Comp as you know I do. I would greatly appreciate your help in keeping this factual and positive. Please have anyone that is truly not racing this year solely because of the PI system privately email that to me or their division rep in writing. There was absolutely no pat on the back session. I was actually the first on the conference call to mention that the PI changes have shown to boost interest and participation that we will see in D1 this year, which is completely based on what I know for sure, not hearsay or rumors. Some of the other reps mentioned the same. Not one rep had a report on somebody not racing this year because of it.
    All the best, Frankie

FLAT likes this.
  6. Frank Aragona Jr.

Do you have anything to back this up as factual? I find it incredibly hard to believe because in every conversation I have personally had with Graham or any meeting that I have been involved with him that is completely contrary to his feelings about Comp. Believe it or not he is Comp Eliminators GREATEST advocate. Ask your SRAC rep or your Division Director.

FLAT likes this.
  7. Cour Family Racing

Frank, won't say who offered my son Sean this tidbit, but let's just say it was from a source who claims to have been told that by Mr. Light -- a former long-time driver and car-owner who currently has a very big dog in the fight. Shouldn't be too hard to figure it out, considering our geographical location. We have seriously considered doing a Comp program for the last couple of years, but we already own two expensive SS cars and are now building a third. In my view, going in that direction at this time would be risky far beyond my financial contribution.

And I still advocate moving the hood-scoop cars from SS back to Comp. As I see it, siphoning off those cars to SS was a major blow to Comp when it happened.

#7 Cour Family Racing, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  8. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

Let me say this. I hate the personal index system and don't agree with it but if it might help comp then I will give it a little time to work. I will say it won't keep me from showing up to a race. The only thing that keeps me from attending a race is comp not being allowed at that race. To me comp still is the best eliminator even with the personal index system in place so I will keep running comp.

That being said will anyone build a new comp car? Not a lot of people. Comp is expensive, tough, and the best class offered in my opinion. So do what you love and have fun doing it. I will be racing comp.
    Clark Smiley

FLAT, brewer67nova, Jeff Lane and 2 others like this.
  9. Raymond Martin

Raymond Martin Active Member

429 K/AA Old Dude
    Have you noticed that most of the whining is from the non racer section. What the hell about the PI system has anything to do with anything. I wasn't in favor of it but it's here and we all survived. If you are truly a COMP racer you adapt. I don't like the qualifying forum but it is what it is and I am going to live with it. Frank, I appreciate your effort and all the Reps for that matter and don't let the whiners discourage anyone from showing up and burning rubber!!!! Remember COMP is not for sissies!!!!!!

FLAT and SmileyRacing like this.
  10. Ken Hawkins

Ken Hawkins Member

The PI system is what it is, the rules are what they are. Our team will be racing Comp as well. We are out there because this is what we want to do, and we have a blast doing it. If we could, we would be at more races. The PI system, or any other rule will not stop us from having fun.

11. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

I hope I am there when you see him around!!!! All that old man will do is sit there and laugh!
    Clark Smiley

Clint Neff likes this.
  12. DE3

DE3 Active Member

13. Raymond Martin

Raymond Martin Active Member

429 K/AA Old Dude
    Guess it didn't take the first time. Clark, I may need some help....

FLAT likes this.
  14. Keith Mawhee

Keith Mawhee New Member

I'm not a big fan of personal indexes either, but I'll take it over 'shoe-polish' racing.

I also agree with Raymond- if we're going to use the PI's, we need to be qualifying off of them. (Once you ding your index, you own it.)

brewer67nova likes this.
  15. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

OMG!!!... look who's still lurking in the shadows.. YUP!!... I'm still around, and my curiosity was just sparked by the NON RACER comment... what constitutes a NON RACER??... I'd just like a clarification... I've been racing since the age of 15, that's rapidly coming up on 47 years... what now makes me a NON RACER??.. if you're not currently in a Comp car, or involved in a Comp operation, are you a NON RACER??.. if you currently have financial obligations to provide a lifestyle for your family, so you can't afford Comp, does that now make you a NON RACER??.. and your answer will probably label you as an Ass Clown.. who ever answers...

Did someone just call someone from the Landies family a NON RACER??.. just stop the nonsense... and yes, when he sees you, you just might wanna CALL SOMEBODY!!!.. just sayin'... LMAO!!!

I appreciate Aragona's passion for Comp.. he works hard to keep things right in D1, and Nationally.. even though we don't always see eye to eye all the time, nothing but respect for Frank Jr, his family, and the job he's trying to do.. and trying to keep us informed.. does anyone on here even appreciate that fact that he is usually the first one to stand up and address important issues??.. he seems to be the spearhead to me.. he comes from good stock... keep up the good work, and good luck this season..

NOW!!!.. to be perfectly honest, and maybe grating to some, my opinion is that those who are not liking the PI system, are those who dinged themselves up as drivers, and are now less competitive in their chosen classes... some people took personal hits to win races, which is sometimes necessary, sometimes commendable, and sometimes understood... but some took unnecessary hits, and showed what we used to call in the police profession, DRIVER INATTENTION... you could usually find that term somewhere on an accident report.. and now they think the PI system sucks.. no, it doesn't... maybe you suck...

The PI system is, in my opinion, a good way to get the ON THE SHELF guys back to the track.. I saw a lot of fast cars go out in rounds from race to race, because the driver was down on personal index, which gave the opponent a fighting chance beginning in Rd 1.. it means that having the fastest car in the Country is nothing if you can't drive.. a good driver in a 55+ under car can now win rounds, and probably races.. just my opinion, of course.. and yes, I said it.. YOU CAN"T DRIVE!!!

NOW!!.. someone said something about rumor, and the Rumor Mill has been down for quite sometime now.. but on the Graham Light issue, I would probably lean with the rumor that he is NOT a fan of not only Comp, but any Sportsman class.. but then, I can't say that I'm one of his fans.. he recently stood at the podium at the D1 Banquet, and stated "NHRA IS NOTHING WITHOUT YOU GUYS"... I almost fell off my chair with that admission, and it wasn't because of the American Honey Bourbon on the rocks.. if that is the case, when is NHRA going to take care of Sportsman Racing??.. that would be a question for your SRAC reps... can't wait to hear the song and dance answers they get from NHRA... they can't help the Sportsman Racers, and cater to the Pros, at the same time... and they're not doing to well with the Pros either... what his statement actually means is, keep paying your licensing fees, which for me is almost $400 at every renewal, plus the medical and EKGs.. and keep those race entry fees comin' folks... it's time for some NHRA give backs...

Just might be time to fire up the Rumor Mill.. a little grease here and there.. a little heat here and there.. a little fun here and there... maybe some points of view from a supposed NON RACER... problem is, all you dyed in the wool Comp guys try to keep secrets... but there's always that weak link, a little kink in the teams armor, so to speak.. IMAGINE THAT!!!

OK.. OK.. got one for ya... is there any truth to the rumor, that while you guys are asking for the Copos, Mustangs, and Dragpacs to be added to Comp, NHRA has been researching making a "PRO" category for them??... REMEMBER, there are a lot of those guys, with a lot of money, who have the right ear to spit into.. just giving you what the Rumor Mill spits out... where's Len Imbrogno when you need him??

Relax folks, my second pot of NON RACER coffee is ready... HEY YO VINNY!!!!!.. what's for lunch.. how about a nice, hot, Long Island sammich... sliced whiner ass, with some of your special gravy... IMAGINE THAT!!!

16. Brian Stufflebeam

Brian Stufflebeam New Member

Frank,
    thank you for keeping us informed on the meetings. In the future it would be nice if the SRAC members would be able to e-mail the active drivers in their division as it may put an end to all of the negative comments. thanks again for all that you and the other SRAC members do for us

Mike Mans and Clint Neff like this.
  17. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

Comp is difficult , complicated and expensive . It is the nature of the beast , always will be , always has been , engineering , fabrication of parts and maintenance at the highest level . Comp participation will be hit the hardest for all the above reasons and NHRA I'm sure is aware how Comp would be affected in a downturn economy . SS cars in Comp won't fix participation in "Comp" cause they are not Comp cars . The people that run Comp are some of the best people in drag-racing , they chose to run Comp because it is so difficult and that will never change......

18. DE3

DE3 Active Member

Brian, I can speak for D1 in saying that Frank sent a very detailed email to all of the current and many past D1 Comp racers outlining the points of the conference call. He has always done this so we all know what is going on.

19. Cour Family Racing

Negative, as in Negative Hot Rod Association?

20. Mike Mans

Mike Mans Member

I hope you guys all keep racing Comp and someday I get an opportunity to come play in that sandbox. Comp is still one of the most bad-ass classes in drag racing, and yes - it is certainly one of the most expensive sportsman classes which creates a pretty huge barrier to entry for younger racers to climb in and even dip their toes in the water. I don't have a dog in this fight (yet), but as an outsider I think the PI system is helpful for people trying to get into the category and not always be at the mercy of a great car in killer air that took a little to get the W.

Thanks Frank Jr. and the other reps that are helping to promote and foster a healthy future for Comp.

- Mike Mans