No More Blinders

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Greg Schenck, Dec 8, 2007.

1. arnold3001

arnold3001 Member

My Dad's car is a dragster, the blinder is NOT attached to the helmet, visor, or wind shield. So he can use his?

JEFF

2. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

The rule book is clear, but I think it's going to be opened up for interpretation.

3. Craig Bourgeois

Steve,
    I do believe He is right. I think what will come out is the "Defination" or a blinder. I personally don't use a "blinder', but I do use a sun blocker or a shade controller. With this very small device, I don't have to hold my hand up and can now leave the starting line with 2 hands on the steering wheel.

4. Craig Bourgeois

Steve, how about roll cage?????????

5. Richie Rosen

Richie Rosen Member

Craig,

I do believe He is right. I think what will come out is the "Defination" or a blinder. I personally don't use a "blinder', but I do use a sun blocker or a shade controller. With this very small device, I don't have to hold my hand up and can now leave the starting line with 2 hands on the steering wheel.

You know my mind is someplace besides this forum, but if you use the so called SUN BLOCKER as an excuse for the BLINDER what will you call it on overcast and cloudy days. Always an excuse for a CRUTCH. :cool::eek::rolleyes:
    RAR

6. Craig Bourgeois

RR,
    A "CRUTCH" like the 554 tree? Or the .4 Pro tree? Or the .370 tree? Or the 2 bulb tree? The only non-crutch is to leave everything alone and let the other racers figure it out! Of course this may require some skills. When I hear people talk about how many red-lights there are in comp, I think of stock/ss class eliminations where 1 guy has the other guy covered a good bit. Like in comp where 1 guy has a performance advantage. But I really don't hear the stock/ss guys wanting to change the tree! They, like some comp guys, are taking a shot at the tree and miss. Although I haven't looked, I would say that most of the red-lights are made by the same drivers. If I had to guess, 80-90% of red-lights are probably by 20-30% of the drivers.

7. Wade Oman

Wade Oman Member

Craig,
    Just wondering where can you get a set of those huge oversized front wheels that you run on your car? Thanks!
    Wade

8. Richie Rosen

Richie Rosen Member

In SS and stock they get to dial in, it is quite different in Comp

9. Rob Harrison

So if the entire redlight problem is being commited by 20-30% of the driver's, and a "CRUTCH" would be an poor way of addressing the high number of redlight's in Comp, then every time you redlight, you should be fined or lose 5 points. That otta have an effect. This, of course, is endorsing, the .500 3 bulb tree, as the right one for Comp and concluding with this endorsement, that technology has has not advanced to require a change in the speed of the tree. Oddly enough, they thought it was necessary for the Pro's......20 years ago.

10. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Member

Craig's oversize front wheels

Wade, I have made-up a few of the 21" front wheels & tires for Craig and a couple other Comp racers. I can also make 20" and 19". You will have to change your chassis / axle some, unless you are already to low.
    Call me for details, 805-444-4489 [Calif time].

Jon from Hayden wheels.

11. Craig Bourgeois

In Stock/SS CLASS eliminations, they do NOT get to dial it in, so it is alot like the same as in comp. Maybe you are referring to how it used to be when you raced, but times have changed since then.

12. Craig Bourgeois

Then how late would those same drivers be on the 554, or the pro .400. They need a .600 full tree to be on time.

13. Rob Harrison

Late lights are a mistake by the driver, in most cases, backing off on the tree cause you got him covered, or over compensating for trying to "not" redlight, due the speed of the .500 tree. How many times have you heard a driver say that? Late lights do offer, green light racing, which is a good thing, but .470 to .499 red, is a function of reacting to the bottom bulb on a .500 tree, hardly could be viewed as a mistake by the driver. A .995 60' Comp car is going to be red most of the time, if he leaves when he see's color in the bottom bulb, particularly, if he does not shallow stage.
    In Steve's research, is a glaring conclusion, there is fewer real races in Comp, than red or late races. That certainly could not be said for any of the .400 tree eliminator's, let alone the low % of redlights. You now have to get your car to react faster and the driver leaves when he see's color in the bottom bulb. Better put the fastest button you got, in, and throw the blinder out.

14. Richie Rosen

Richie Rosen Member

Craig,
    No body is talking about class eliminations, the issue is the eliminator where Stock and Super Stock can change there dial in every rd. GOOFUS:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. Rob Harrison

Let The Driver's Figure It Out.....

Reflecting on Craig's suggestion, leave the tree alone and let the driver's figure it out, selfishly ,it occurred to me, with change in the button speed ( which should increase redlights in the auto classes) and the majority of Comp cars are automatic's, and I don't use a blinder or an automatic and I very seldom redlight....I have absolutely no reason to advocate a change in the current .500 tree. In fact, if I did not feel that technology has left Comp in the 70's ( with the .500 tree) and the # of redlights is a problem, as a direct result, I can only hope that the .500 tree stays the same. I sincerely doubt the eliminator can survive the next 10 years with the "traditional redlight" reputation. What's the 60' of a B/A going to be in 5 years?

16. Rob Harrison

5 Years From Now

I was referring to the speed of the car's reaction ,as technology moves ahead, making it that much more difficult to decide when to leave, to avoid redlighting. If the B/A is .985 60' in 5 years, I doubt even a blinder would help. I hope someone keeps track of the redlights in 2008, I think Richie mentioned this earlier, a comparison of eliminators would be a valuable stat.
    Maybe we don't have a problem with redlights in Comp and the .500 tree is perfect. I'd love to see the bloodbath if the Pro's were on a .500 tree.

17. Rob Harrison

With the loss of the button delay, your car is technologically too fast for Comp's .500 tree. What tree does T/S use? You simply should not be that fast.....I know, put one of those throttle timer's on, like they use in Super Gas. Maybe in this case, you should put the slicks on the front.

18. Craig Bourgeois

"I will find a way to slow my reaction and the car's reaction down"

Now you are talking Steve. And I personally don't think that 60' is a direct link to too fast of a reaction time. I think some of us are really missing the boat here. I have run .977 in 60', and I see no problem with the .500 tree. I have also run 1.07 in another car, and still had no problem with the .500 tree.

19. Richie Rosen

Richie Rosen Member

Craig,
    Youuuuuu is soooooooo gooooood, take away the blinder hot shot and let's see how good u really are!!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

20. Craig Bourgeois

RR,
    Why would I want to take away something that helps me? Next you will want to take away my alcohol! Or my tires? Or whatever makes me less competitive. Quite looking for the "Crutch" and start trying to think creative. And by the way, although I don't claim to be that good, I do thank you for the compliment. That is rare.