Personal Index

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Clint Neff, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Clint Neff

Clint Neff Well-Known Member

Thought I would give some feedback from Pomona since its the first race we qualified off our personal indexes. Seemed to help which I thought was a no brainer keeping things simple. Had no hiccups. Session 1 they still had our class indexes up but that was straightened out.

Charlie Yannetti, FLAT and Cody Lane like this.
  2. Cody Lane

Cody Lane New Member

Great to hear that, and congrats on the runner up!

3. Clint Neff

Clint Neff Well-Known Member

Thanks Cody! So sorry to hear about your tragic event. Hope you guys get back out soon!

4. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

One thing I struggle with as a casual observer is to differentiate between a really killer run by a guy who is down a tenth and an ok run by a guy who still has his original tenth. So a guy down a tenth goes .65 under and a guy with his tenth in tact goes .67 under, the .65 under guy really made a considerably better run. Part of the performance part of the eliminator has been lost in that aspect.

I have a feeling Fletcher was making better runs than his qualifying position indicates.

projack likes this.
  5. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

Congrats Dan and Clint. nice showing

Brian, I have to agree with you on the first part.
    But I can't see Dan not trying to get out the bottom half. #6 or 7 would have been better but yet he finds a way to win.

6. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

Congrats Clint and Dan the man ,

Tough game to play this index stuff , but nice to hear positive from you Clint .

SEAN DODD likes this.
  7. projack

projack Member

PI might have worked if they never gave the tenth back, but when they gave the tenth back, all it did was create a punishment for the guys who worked for it. It’s the millennial version of comp. I guess it was created to make the slow guy feel better about themselves.....because whoever thought it would bring out new cars....well, the numbers speak for themselves.

greg williams likes this.
  8. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

I do believe that giving a tenth back was aimed at attempting to get some guys out of the garage.. and yes, it did make some racers feel a bit more competitive, and better about themselves..

With this season just starting, I don't think we can make a judgement from just one race, as for as the car count numbers go, but just remember, things could have been worse..

As far as qualifying off of the PI, I believe that it should have been that way from the start.. it provides for a true first round ladder..

And for those who might think that Fletcher doesn't know what he's doing on the ladder, think again..

CONGRATS to Dan Fletcher on the win, and to Clint Neff on a great performance..

9. Brian Landies

My point on Fletcher was totally missed.

As far as I know 8.00 is a really fast run in C/EA, but the new format and all the puffed up indexes made it look not so good.

As for car counts- does anyone have any real data from the last 2 years to compare to the previous years? And one question I would ask is this- would it be better to have 5 racers who attend 15 races each, or 10 racers who attend 5 races each?

10. Charlie Yannetti

No, Brian.. I didn't miss Fletcher's 70 under run.. I was paying more attention to the ladder.. 70 under in C/EA is a good run, as it actually is a tough combination.. and to the second question, I'd rather see 10 at 5, but then, I'm a NON RACER racer.. LOL!!!

11. Brian Landies

I guess in order to answer the car count question you would have to find out which one NHRA values more. My suspicion is that they want to know the total number of entries in comp for a year, not the total number of racers who entered a race.

12. RonP

RonP Member

Like every business,...they want to know # of entrants x $$ = $$$.

13. Charlie Yannetti

What's that Ron??.. they just want our money??.. everything kinda makes sense now.. just kidding Ron.. LOL!!1