Pro Mod shift rule.. and should Comp follow?

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Andrew Holt, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Andrew Holt

Andrew Holt Member

Since were in a kicking up dirt mood this offseason... Im curious if anyone else feels the same way as me.

NHRA made the Pro Mod guys now have shifting of the cars be a process controlled by the driver.... my take on their opinion is that a performance based class should have the driver controlling the basic functions of the car. The driver's ability to launch the car, keep it straight, and shift accurately is part of the "race".

Comp is a performance based class. It is also the only performance based class where your ability to beat your opponent by the least amount possible directly relates to your next round performance. For stick shift racers in Comp, we have more of opportunity to make mistakes (hitting a rev limiter/short shifting), and less time to judge our opponent since we have to focus on shifting correctly the first half the track. Seems like a unfair playing field that could easily be adjusted.

Could we make auto transmission shifting a function of the driver? ( You could use a button or whatever... but no timers or controllers). Since all the auto shifters Ive seen use an air valve or electric solenoid.. it would just take a button and 4 feet of wire to change over.

Matt Harris and BenHolt like this.
  2. Clinton Neff

Clinton Neff New Member

I used to think the same way until I realized its called an automatic transmission. Just my .02 cents.

DE3 likes this.
  3. Andrew Holt

Andrew Holt Member

Both Pro Mod and Alcohol cars can use "automatic" transmissions. And now with the Pro Mod rule, all those classes, regardless of transmission type... "Each individual shift must be a function of the driver".

4. Clinton Neff

Clinton Neff New Member

Actually I don't believe you can use an automatic transmission in the alcohol classes. That's how I read it. The pro mod deal in my opinion is a different story cause for some reason and I don't think I would with the amount of power they have even think about running a standard type automatic transmission. I can see them running a planetary style trans(Which can be made to shift auto) but who knows. I personally have no problem with shifting off a button as I did it with a 5 speed for 15 years(hell it would alleviate the no shift runs) cause just like all electronics they're not full proof but an automatic in an automatic in my opinion. You want to manually shift then run a manual class you want an automatic then run an automatic!

5. DE3

DE3 Active Member

Auto is auto and manual is manual. They’re called that for a reason

6. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Well-Known Member

But A/ND and B/ND has to shift manually, go figure.

FLAT likes this.
  7. Andrew Holt

Andrew Holt Member

Greg: Did not realize that about the ND classes... Interesting.
    Clint/Don: Understand your points. I also looking alittle more into the Pro Mod rule. I think I was reading alittle bit more into what the racers and fans were saying. Sounds like the official reason from NHRA is from a safety standpoint (car spins/overrevs/miss shifts.. then gets more out of shape).

8. deuces wild

deuces wild Active Member

Automatic guys get all upset if you bring this up. I used to bring this up when I was in super stock. Nothing gets them upset faster than bringing this up. Maybe it was the fact that I asked “what’s the problem can’t you hit your shift points without it?”. I know people won’t like that but oh well. I was a Texas State Trooper for over 20 years. Now I’m a criminal investigator for the Texas Attorney General’s office. I’ve been called every thing you can think of over the years. I have thick skin......see you in the lanes....

-Ed

9. Rob Harrison

Rob Harrison Well-Known Member

I'd love to hear the tech discussion , "I think that automatic is being shifted automatically " "Is that legal ? " "we'll have to look into it ".....good luck on that .

10. Bill Puckett

Bill Puckett New Member

I think the manual should have to push the clutch in when it shifts

Joey arrowsmith, SEAN DODD and DE3 like this.
  11. Clinton Neff

Clinton Neff New Member

I don't think anyone is getting upset Ed all I'm doing is pointing out facts! If we wanna have a pissing match with it Id personally put myself up against any stick driver minus Ms. Enders on shifting a manual transmission! If they make it the new for comp auto transmissions to be manually shifted I could care less.
    Bill Puckett that could very well be post of the year so far! Im for it Ill even hand shift this bitch if those clutch boys have to push the clutch in! Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house!

FLAT, Joey arrowsmith and SEAN DODD like this.
  12. Andrew Holt

Andrew Holt Member

FYI.. before this thread turns into a typical InsideComp s**t show thread:
    1. I definitely do not imply that auto class racers are any better or worse drivers than stick drivers. FOR EXAMPLE: I am a stick shift driver and I have to apologize to my poor brother every other run for tagging the rev limiter or short shifting it. Pretty sure he would fire me if he could. Im not one to judge other racers driving skills.
    2. I love stick shift racecars. The moment I decided I wanted to race Comp was at Trails at a division race... seeing both Bob Book's A/D and Browell's D/D. The look and sounds of these cars with the high revving/shifting is what personally got me hooked. I love that the Hemi Shootout cars leveled the playing field a few years ago with the weight break. Now... about the half the field can sometimes be stick cars. Totally badass.
    3. There are alot less stick cars in Comp... Im a newbie... but Im assuming there used to be alot more. I guess I'm brainstorming things that could possibly entice someone to build one over an auto car.

13. Terry Spargo

Terry Spargo Member

I purchased my BRT & 3 spd Lenco brand new 20 yrs ago and after the first TS pass found its best to have 1 hand on the 1st gear shift lever prior to launching so it was simple to reach to find the 3rd gear lever once the shift light came on. I had both hands on the wheel and when the shift light came on couldn't find the 1st-2nd lever..lol

14. arthodges706

arthodges706 Active Member

Clint, you know I highly respect you but you know auto does not mean automatic shifting. You know and i know “Shift those bitches” , don’t even know how that automatic shifter was legalized.
    If Craig can shift that bicycle wheel, wheel standing, Ill
    handling, oil breathing beast all of you can shift.
    Happy New Year

15. Clinton Neff

Clinton Neff New Member

Thanks Art I have a lot of respect for you as well. We could all bicker about this til the cows come home. The auto shifter was legalized in the same manor the clutchless transmission was it just happened. I would have no problem activating the shifter myself if NHRA made it a new rule. Like I said I did it for many years. Hope everyone had a great holiday season! Hope 2021 race season gets here soon cause lord knows I'm ready!

16. Mark Forbes

Mark Forbes Member

I am all for that any shifting should be the function of the driver. But then again, that's all I have ever done. Doesn't matter to me, my class I have to shift it.

17. Matt Harris

Matt Harris Member

While we're talking about the original intent of these parts from 50+ years ago we could discuss the adjustable trans brake button and programmable rev limiters, too.....

Or

Since this is Comp Eliminator and not Stock Eliminator we could just get our stuff out of the garage and go have some fun together.

Can't we all just get along?? HAHA

SEAN DODD likes this.
  18. Shaun Vincent

Shaun Vincent Active Member

Shift Lights
    tranny break,
    Line lock,
    RPM timers
    Shift timers,
    2 way 3 way 4 way Radios,
    Data loggers
    Air break
    adjustable timing
    etc...

Joey arrowsmith and Matt Harris like this.
  19. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Well-Known Member

We just have to realize two things. Race cars have clutches and sticks. Mini vans have automatics.
    And art you shift more in each burnout than most shift in a whole year. I bet you have to downshift a few times to make it go that long. And sorry Clint we can’t all shift as good as you say you can.
    Clark Smiley

toyotaturbo likes this.
  20. Clinton Neff

Clinton Neff New Member

Thanks Clark