Question

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Rodger Brogdon, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Rodger Brogdon

Rodger Brogdon Active Member

In your opinion, whats the best and the worse rule change that has happened in Comp in the last 5 years?
    There's no right or wrong answers.

2. 71mavlouisville

71mavlouisville New Member

Worst SR-18
    Best PI and C25

Ashton Hudson 49
    H/AA

welkerm and Steve Polhill like this.
  3. Raymond Martin

Raymond Martin Well-Known Member

429 K/AA Old Dude
    On the PI rule there should be no permanent reduction when you meet someone in your own class. Only CIC for the next round.

Mark Forbes and FLAT like this.
  4. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

I'll have to eat some crow on the PI rule, cause I actually thought it would be a help.. OBVIOUSLY, it has done more harm then good, in my opinion.. WORST

The SR-18 thing would be right up there, and was only a financial band-aid for NHRA.. WORST

The BEST recent move by NHRA was to reinstate VP C-25..

Slingshot likes this.
  5. Slingshot

Slingshot Member

Agree with mr Yannetti,
    PI worst, lost many Comp racers on this
    and to bring back VP C25 was good.

6. Rodger Brogdon

why is the PI rule so bad ?

7. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

Not using current technology to correct indexes. it is not a rule, but should be how indexes are set. Everyone knows weather effects performance and racing at higher elevations, this makes it harder for a car ithat is racing at a track that is 1200 ft above sea level in a class that has a racer setting the indexes at a sea level track.

8. JV Punk

JV Punk Member

Worst - SR18
    Best - PI I know a lot of racers aren’t for it, but it kept us racing.

9. Shaun Vincent

Shaun Vincent Active Member

Best = PI - which I didn't like
    Worst = given a tenth back - which I did like.

FLAT likes this.
  10. Andrew Holt

Andrew Holt Member

Best: Switching back to allowing other fuels than SR-118.
    Worst: I know this is longer than 5 years... but two rules:
    A: Allowing automatic transmission cars auto shifters. If the stick shift cars have to shift with a lever or button... I think that is stategically unfair to allow auto transmissions to do it with a timer or RPM switch.
    B: Making sticks and autos in different classes. This has done multiple bad things. It has made twice the classes for the same or less amount of competitors... which makes the CIC not correct indexes as it should. Basically, more classes with only one or two competitors who can protect the index better... which distorts the whole playing field. It also gives the overall advantage to an automatic, since you don't have the driving issues of a stick, yet you have your own index. Before if the stick was harder to drive or tune, it would still be worth it because you would race an auto car in your class heads up with some finite amount of weight penalty. In my opinion, classes should be based on engine size/configurations, because changes in technology or major advancements by any competitor can cause the need for indexes to be changed so that the playing field remains fair. This can happen pretty rapidly with some engine combinations. But the relative ET difference between a modern stick and modern auto transmission is a pretty much static number (and Ill give it may be different per class.. maybe each class would need a different auto weight break). Maybe the weight break gets reviewed every year or every other year. But I don't think it changes enough to cause the need for an entirely separate class with the exact same engine combo... but with a different transmission. To put simply... it makes for less stick cars (always bad in my book)... and it makes Comp more complicated (also bad in my book).

Overall though... Comp is awesome and it works pretty darn good all things considered.

oscaracme likes this.
  11. Steve Polhill

Steve Polhill Well-Known Member

Best: Personal Index's. I know PI isn't popular with everyone, but as someone that had to take some time away from Comp it made if possible to come back. With that said I would make some changes to it.

Worst: The SR-18 Fiasco. I've got 10 gallons for SR-18 for sale BTW LOL

12. craig schuck

craig schuck Active Member

Worst . Pi. I think we lost too many racers with the pi.

Best. $$$$ The Bonus programs

Charlie Yannetti likes this.
  13. Troy Galbraith

Worst - PI
    Best - allowing multiple fuels

As for your 2nd question Roger as to whats so bad about the PI.

1) Say you have 3 C/SM's (or any other class for that matter) at a race. The fastest one is all to often not even the highest qualified (goes completly against everything Comp, SS, and Stock has ever stood for).

2) Allowing permanent hits on heads up runs.

3) Personal index is not personal; if you are down 8 and switch classes you are no longer down 8. (for those that say well it was really that way before PI's; true but the tenth back changed the swapping classes game significantly)

#13 Troy Galbraith, Aug 6, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  14. Rodger Brogdon

do the PI get any idex back?

15. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Well-Known Member

No Rodger, but there was talk a couple of years ago about giving 1/2 back which I believe would be fair.

16. Rodger Brogdon

I think that should be discussed again. It sounds like a good idea. Why should someone be penalized forever?

17. Rodger Brogdon

lets put it to a vote. just to get a general consensus.
    How many believe that all personal index's should get get something back every year.
    Ill keep up with it.
    I vote yes.
    Yes 1
    No 0

18. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Well-Known Member

Even though it would hurt me, I would vote yes. Most racers that are down a lot are racers that race a lot.

19. Steve Polhill

Steve Polhill Well-Known Member

NO. Your personal index is your doing, live with it. They didn't give you index back under the old rules. If you give the racers that race a lot index back, it will be the same 3 people winning the championship every year. For 30 years you have had to be smart with your index. it's no different now except you don't destroy my index as well. Being from D3 I can't tell you the number of times my index got hit months before I could even his the track.

I'd love someone to explain to me how we lost racers due to PI? I know several racers that have stayed because of it.

welkerm likes this.
  20. 71mavlouisville

71mavlouisville New Member

I would vote NO on giving index back - too many issues with that.

There are many great suggestions above this post that should be strongly considered.

My question to you is, If you owned Competition Eliminator (the category) as an asset, what would you recommend to grow the asset as a whole? How can we increase fan/enthusiast interest in our category? How do we maximize the entertainment value of the category? During Covid I have watched MANY forms of racing, mostly on youtube etc. I think our category is unique in the motorsports world and has an entertainment value that is not being used to its fullest extent.

I have been a die hard fan of Comp for 40+ years. I have been competing in the category for 2 years. There are many things we could do to make the category a MUST SEE when we roll up to the starting line.

Why is fan interest important? We need to increase interest to increase $upport. Comp is very expensive to compete in. Even more expensive to compete competitively. The financial return on that investment is laughable! We continue because we love the category. Currently it is a passion driven concept. If there were an increase in $upport I am sure the participation would increase as well. There are many types of support nowadays. But, from my understanding, Likes/views, translates to $. It is easy to sit back and expect someone else is a faraway land (NHRA in CA) to come up with the $, while we provide the passion. I’ve never approached problems in this fashion. What can we do?

From a fan prospective what can you and your team do to increase interest?

Recommendations:
    1. Raymond’s idea is great, on heads up runs in same class - No permanent for either driver and NO CIC for the next round. When your in the stands or watching on Drag Racer TV, you do not want to hear Womp/Womp or see early chutes and front ends dropping - Comp should be ALL OUT. Trying to strategize for CIC while concentrating on beating someone heads up is not fun. Dumping to avoid permanent because the air is awesome should not be an issue on a heads up run.
    2. Troy’s idea is great, Qualifying should be based on the index and not PI. It just looks weird to have 2-3 cars in the same class and have a quicker run end up lower on the sheet. Hard to explain that one.
    3. I would encourage everything that fans like to see. We should encourage Art Hodges burnouts for everyone. Nothing like a 10,000 rpm burnout across the line. Stop with the short burnouts. Entertain someone will ya. Art has the best burnouts I’ve ever seen! He’s my burnout hero.
    4. If one of us is RED, let them run it out the back door without CIC, PI or anything else. Why? its FUN for us and for the fan’s. There is nothing worse then a RED and everyone aborts the run. Not fun to watch that.
    5. Throw the chute out! Children love parachutes. They are colorful, look cool and are unique to our sport. Stock cars and Sprint cars don’t have Chutes. It makes people think your car is really fast. It takes 5 minutes to pack. Its safe.
    6. If someone walks into your pit and spends more than 30 seconds looking at your car, that person is a FAN. Introduce yourself and talk to them. They are really impressed and will follow you.
    7. During qualifying the tree needs to be staggered based on index. We did this for a short time in D4. It was great. Whatever that issue is, we need to fix it. Why? This is much more interesting to watch and easier to explain to a fan.
    8. BUGS - BUGS are awesome! Fans love BUGS.
    9. Social Media - I am guilty of not participating in that medium, but, feel that is the way to go for this type of deal. We should all increase that presence and develop ways to push Competition Eliminator to as many people as we can reach. Our content is interesting and unique.
    10. If we could all put up as much money as Rodger does we wouldn’t really have to do anything else. Someone once asked Rodger if he had change for a $100, he said, Hell, that is change. I think Rodger puts his money where his mouth is and I appreciate his support.
    Ashton Hudson