Question

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Rodger Brogdon, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Michael Compton

Michael Compton Active Member

I agree 100% with everything Ashton said. I knew we were friends for a reason!

Granted I raced Comp for the first time in 2019 but my dad has been competing since 2006. Comp is by far the greatest class ever! Everything about Comp is awesome! From watching a mid 6 second dragster go flying by at the finish line and having no idea if you won or not, to racing a turbo car popping and banging on the starting line. It is what makes Comp the best!

We have to do what we can to make the class better! The Browell's and now Chad have done an awesome job with the D3 Bonus Fund. Why isn't it in every division? We as a group of racers will have to take it and run. Could we do a complete 7 division wide bonus fund so all Comp racers get the chance for extra?

I am one of those that got off of social media because I got sick of the postings. Sadly, social media is the way to get the fans! Not only that, take the time to talk to the fans. None of us are above the fan just wanting to check your car out. They are as enthusiastic as we are when it comes to cool cars. As Ashton said, talk to them. Have their kids sit in your car. I remember getting to do the same with Lee Shepard and he was forever my hero because of it. One of the last races we went to in 2019 I signed an autograph on a shirt for a little kid all because I took the time to talk to him.

People like Alan Reinhart and Bob Unkefer love Comp. Just listen to them in the booth. They do an amazing job of explaining it so everyone understands. Which leads to the more we simplify, the better. Comp did not get the nickname Complicated Eliminator for a reason. Maybe combine the auto and sticks to reduce the classes. Do what we can to simplify and make the runs all out. Increase the chances of heads up. Still have to go green to win!

Lastly, thank you Rodger for everything you have done and continue to do. Our goal for 2021 is to run D4 because of what you have proposed. When can we as a group run for the kind of money you are proposing?

Just my thoughts!

Michael Compton

toyotaturbo and welkerm like this.
  2. Raymond Martin

Raymond Martin Well-Known Member

429 K/AA Old Dude
    Please, never give any index back. It takes 5 years to get them in line. If anything we need to take a dime to a nickel away and race to the end....

3. Matt Dahl

Matt Dahl New Member

Yep...RM is right

Don't love it... but keep the P.I.

Reset the indexes back to pre 2016 and let's rock

#23 Matt Dahl, Aug 12, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  4. Keith Mawhee

Keith Mawhee Member

The PI deal is perplexing. On the one hand, it helped a lot of guys stay with the class. But on the other, you could argue it makes Comp look a bit like glorified bracket racing. Combine that with the advent of TD/TS, plus a variety of other heads-up options, and I think it ultimately may have led to some going in different directions.

Re: some of the other proposed rule changes - I’d love to see a staggered-tree in qualifying. And I don’t think indexes should be hit on a losing red lights, or heads-up runs. (It’s obviously easier on parts, but it looks silly when 50% of Comp rounds result in cars lifting at half-track. Especially when the Top Sportsman cars follow with a dozen side-by-side 200 mph runs.)

Final thought: I wish we could ADD .50 back to every index, and make -1.0 second the threshold for CIC hits. (Maybe it’s just me but I get tired-head doing the mental math after every run to determine if someone may have dinged their index.)

5. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Well-Known Member

I don’t think that index should be given back at the end of the year. But at the end of the year they should Atleast look at the guy that is down the most and adjust the index for the class to half of the badass’s index. At some point if a guy is busting your ass with the same “closely related” car you should have to step up your game not just have a personal index. Example. Troy G(whatever) is a badass that hauls ass and goes racing and wins races. Some other guy with the same initials on the side of his scoop should not have a tenth better index just cause he is a puddwacker.
    P. I. is not a bad idea or thing it just needs the rules to it tweeked a little to fix a few errors in the principles of comp. (I for one hate personal index and think it steps in the wrong direction of what comp stands for but if it benifits comp let’s adapt it some to make badass’s still the supreme)
    Clark Smiley

Charlie Yannetti, FLAT and oscaracme like this.
  6. Troy Galbraith

Make personal indexes truly personal indexes and we wouldnt have to look at the Q sheet and ask ourselves.... are they fast or are they just clean for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, oh and my favorite, 5th time? Think about it.

Troy Galbraith

7. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Well-Known Member

If you are not down at least .06
    1) You don't race enough in that class
    2) Your shit ain't fast enough
    3) You redlight too much

This is the fifth year for PI and I believe it has brought more cars in but Class indexes are not being hit. remember 2014 and 2015 classes were being hit every week when the air was good. How many classes were hit in the last 4.5 years, maybe 5. I don't like PI but I bought my car because of it.
    By the way, I fit in all three of the categories above.

FLAT likes this.
  8. Joey arrowsmith

I would also like to see staggered starts during qualifying. Could bring up some match races, bring some buzz to the class and make it enjoyable for not just the fans but I for one would have a blast with it. Now if only we could get the racers to the lanes when they call us vs waiting around with our cars still on pro jacks for the 3rd call

Mark Forbes, oscaracme and Matt Dahl like this.
  9. arthodges706

arthodges706 Active Member

Yes: you should be able to get index back. The majority of the people that are down on index race a lot. I’m not saying it should be free but surely not penalised for life. Frankie was talking bout go to two division races get 2 hundreds back, good for everyone concerned.
    No one goes out there to destroy there own index just trying to win. With the way we build power these days you are not going to pick up 20-40 hp so why should anyone be penalised for life. Yes you should give it back.

Charlie Yannetti likes this.
  10. Joey arrowsmith

Instead of giving personal back how about you don’t get hit with pi till -650 or more, hitting class index would still be at -700. Could help with more races to the finish line when people aren’t as worried about hitting their pi

11. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

Big buck, NO Time Comp race. Why, no need to lift and worry about hurting your index. All run, no qualifying, draw who you are racing from a hat each round and since it is no time, no index hits. use class index for handicap. fastest car with best driver should win. get your half of the time slip after the run, not the other guys. See who has the baddest Comp car package

12. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Well-Known Member

Bro I am sorry but you are lost. I bet your burgers you grill are made of filet mignon and caviar and paired with ketchup. Get a clue and try to make some common sense next time you talk about comp.
    Clark Smiley

FLAT and Joey arrowsmith like this.
  13. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

My thoughts were that PI would get some racers off the shelf, if they happen to be in a strongly competitive class.. that didn't happen, and in fact hurt some quality racers by greatly slowing their programs with PI hits.. I would vote YES, if at the end of each season the PI was erased, and let racers come out fresh the following year.. it's a shame when some good racers have to park their stuff, change drivers, or change classes to race competitively..

Greg Schenck likes this.
  14. Andrew Holt

Andrew Holt Member

Even though it helped me when I raced F/D... I was never really pro PI. Its confusing and really starts taking the class part out of Comp. I.e.. If you're the badest B/DA ... you should be the baddest B/DA... regardless of how you have ran in the past.

But since it is in place.... I DEFINITELY DO NOT THINK we should reset the PI back for fast guys. If you hit your personal.. you were fast.. you ran faster than the adjustment point to either win a race or you cut a bad light... and you have to live with it. No different than it was before the PI was implemented.

If you reset every year... you will have perpetual fast cars in fast indexes... and slow indexes that never get competitive since the fast ones will never get beat down over time. That's how the CIC system is supposed to work. And the problem will be even worse in one car classes where people have greater control over their class index. Not to throw out names.. but if you're a two time champ with the same engine combo.. its hard to justify getting any index given back to you. I'm sure their car won't be magically slowing down over the winter.

That being said... to be fair to fast guys... in dream world.. I think the guy who is fast should have the class "PERMANENT" index.. and the slower car in the class should have a personal index which is slower than the permanent (up to a tenth max.. like it is now). And at the end of the year (or maybe a rolling calendar year), the slower personal index gets adjusted to the permanent. Basically.. if there is a fast guy in a class.. and he bumps the permanent class index.. you have some time to work on your stuff before it becomes complete uncompetitive. But it doesn't last forever. Basically.. its the equivalent of Comp racing unemployment insurance. It keeps you racing for a little while.... but you will eventually need to get your stuff running as fast as the fast guys in the class ... or you will lose competitiveness.

I think that's really the only way to be fair to people who work on their stuff hard and run fast, keep a "personal" index in place, and keep the CIC system working correctly.

15. Steve Polhill

Steve Polhill Well-Known Member

Charlie I've got a question. If quality racer got slowed by PI hits. A' Isn't that the idea behind it? and B' It's better than that racer wrecking the entire class for everyone.

If you erased the PI at the end of every year the same 3 cars would with the Championship every year. It would be Frank, Craig and Brad every year.

16. Raymond Martin

429 K/AA Old Dude
    Hey Charlie, would you feel better if everybody got a participation trophy so their feelings wouldn't get hurt and they wouldn't have to pay for therapy? Charlie, don't let me find out you do your nails...

17. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

Charlie, You see how the Multi Car teams in division 1 have abused the PI system to win championships. 2 cars, 2 drivers, both cars get a tenth back when drivers switch cars, so realistically drivers are getting .10 +.10 for the season. I do not think that has happened much in other divisions. Simple fix, once you hit all of your PI, y ou loose it forever even if you change class.

The sales pitch of the PI was to get new racers that were not competetive back out. Not benefit existing racers

18. Charlie Yannetti

ROFLMFAO!!!.. y'all are trying to play tuff guy, right??..

Roger:.. D1 has had had several multi-car teams, some successful in their goals, some not.. I was lucky enough to be part of one for a while, and a World Championship was obtained.. takes special people to be on a team like that... the #2 guy doesn't even get a participation trophy.. Raymond gets most of those... LOL!!.. if you play the team theory right, your team can win a bunch of races, and championships.. it's all about "what's in your wallet".. do I think a championship can be bought??.. ABSOLUTELY!!.. and I've noticed in many cases that the PI can play a big part.. I also think that another branch of the PI tree was to help slower cars get out of the garage.. not NEW racers in particular.. I had hoped that some local -45 to -55 under guys might come back, because the PI would kinda level the playing field.. just didn't happen that way..

Mr Martin: I call you "MR" cause over the years you have earned my respect with your diligence to your program.. although, I'm still a weeeeeee bit miffed that when I was screaming your name from the stands at Indy, I got no wave.. we both know that I have an appearance that is unforgetable.. LOL!!.. my actual point about the PI is that I have witnessed some great cars, and drivers, take penalties in tough rounds, and can not recover from those penalties to remain competitive.. some of these teams are now -50 to -55 players at best, and are no longer competitive, or even back in the barn.. it was their goal of being competitive, and winning, that actually hurt them, BUT, I don't think it should be a forever thing.. I'd rather look at these teams and say, don't count them out, they will be back next season.. and we all know how hard it is to make more power these days too.. and many can't afford to buy another car to switch classes.. SOME can, apparently..

Steve: I will agree with your first sentence, but disagree with the second.. if the PI is not dealt with, you just might guarantee that the same guys win all the time.. give a -70 to -75 player his PI back, or at least half of it, and make them more competitive against those "All The Time" winners.. it's getting boring knowing that those guys just have to go green now, and wheel race the top end.. ANNDDDDD!!, the fans are noticing it too.. being in the stands now, I get to hear them call the race, even before the tree activates..

NOW, I won't say that the guys with the BIG PI hits didn't wander into their situation unknowing, BUT, to give those guys a life sentence is a weeeeeee bit ridiculous from where I'm sitting, and I really don't think NHRA intended it to be this way..

DISCLAIMER: These are my opinions, and it's well known that sometimes, I JUST AIN'T RIGHT.. just ask Martin, Hodges, and Smiley.. but, I still love them guys... LOL!!!

19. Raymond Martin

429 K/AA Old Dude
    Still love you Charles but you didn't answer my questions about getting your nails done.....

20. Charlie Yannetti

UMMMMM, NO!!.. I know that you have probably heard about those primadonna D1 guys getting it done though.. LOL!!