Rick Hord disqualified for not sharing tune up in promod

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by rognelson777, Apr 30, 2018.

1. rognelson777

rognelson777 Active Member

Rick s # 1 run was disqualified after the car passed post race inspection and supposedly after 4 nhra tech officials looked at his log. they then wanted him to download a hard copy for them to keep. The only restriction on ricks car is boost levels. Pretty simple to view a log of that.What would you do if nhra wanted your info?

2. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

If they wanted to take ownership of our calibration data I’d tell them to pound sand. Just like Rick did.

I would be more than willing to let the tech officials connect to the car and look at that data, as Rick did.

That data, in a class as regulated as Pro Mod, is where you gain your competitive edge. And as Rick said, it’s his intellectual property that cost him a lot of money to obtain.

Plus that seemed to be a “new rule” that just came out of no where.

3. boostedf22c

Here’s your hard copy NHRA.

6B5DBCCE-45F4-41AB-9EE1-75AAD1FF1CA2.jpeg

toyotaturbo and Greg Hogue like this.
  4. Greg Hogue

Greg Hogue Member

I can see a hard copy of the log or even a log file on a thumb drive. but what possible use is the tune file. I could even see letting them look at the MAP calibration file. but really the tune-up. Am I missing something

5. hickeybros

hickeybros Active Member

its all about who has the biggest tallywager & that's all its about

6. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

I wasn't there, and don't know all the details, BUT, the car passed tech, and certain parts were probably marked with a colored ceramic paste, AS IN COMP... so assuming that this was all inspected, and everything was acceptable to NHRA, what could be the problem??.. percentage of boost??... and I'll also assume that this request for info came about RIGHT AFTER Mr Hord outran someone that he wasn't supposed to outrun for the #1 spot... HEY NHRA!!!.. you passed it!!

AND, a "new rule"??... like most Crew Chiefs would say, "You want my book, you have to pay for it"... I haven't heard of such a rule, but then, Pro Mod being a supposed "EXHIBITION" class, anything could fly... the disqualification was uncalled for, except that someone'e panties were in a bunch...

Kinda reminds me of a Tech Director telling my car owner that if we didn't remove an air sensor from the hood scoop, he was throwing us out of the race.. his explanation was that you can only have one opening in the scoop, and the hole we drilled was an additional opening... SOOOOOOO, what was the difference between a sensor occupying the hole, or a nut, bolt, and flat washers??.. was the hole blocked during tech inspection??.. and why was the car re-inspected after the 2nd round of eliminations??.. cause maybe we were about to kick the wrong guys ass...

Just to continue the story, we mounted the sensor on a bracket, so it was at the opening of the scoop.. this was acceptable, even though we drilled and additional mounting hole in he scoop.. but that hole was OK... can you IMAGINE THAT!!!!

BTW, that inspector was fired not long after the incident... HMMMMMMMMM!!!

Politics in Drag Racing??.. say it isn't so...

boostedf22c likes this.
  7. Greg Hogue

Greg Hogue Member

What they need is a simple 2 channel boost and RPM data logger that NHRA can just pull the log on

8. boostedf22c

They really should only have access to the boost and boost control data as that is the only rule mandated data point that's controlled. In which they do.

"Boost controller manufactured by Hyperaktive Performance Solutions, part No. PMBL mandatory. No other boost controller or form of boost control permitted. Must be installed per manufacturer’s instructions as documented on NHRARacer. com: NHRA Accepted Products, NHRA Accepted Product Specifications, Pro Mod, Hyperkontrol Boost System Installation and Operation Manual. Any modification to or any attempt to disable or defeat the boost controller is prohibited. Any attempt to corrupt or delete data associated with the boost controller is prohibited. Maximum boost may only be set by NHRA officials.

Boost Pressure Limit: 36 psi"

9. Raymond Martin

Raymond Martin Active Member

429 K/AA Old Dude
    Boost:
    I dated a girl once that could pull 30 in. I witnessed her suck starting a Harley....

10. boostedf22c

Haha. That’s impressive. But could she suck a tennis ball through a garden hose?

Keith Rittenberry likes this.
  11. Greg Hogue

Greg Hogue Member

I know just enough about these systems to be dumb. Is there more or less to this then we are all thinking. Are they looking for traction control or possible offsets in calibrations

12. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

Hard to say, Greg.. the post says that the DQ was caused when Hord wouldn't give up his tune-up info.. what that actually entails, we don't really know... would be interesting to know exactly what it was, OR, what NHRA is actually entitled to...