Rule question

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Brian Landies, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Brian Landies

Brian Landies Active Member

In Joliet, Mans went .74 under his personal index, and .64 under his class index. Does he take .14 personal or is there a .10 cap on personal index hits?

Congrats on the win in the ex Mike Graves mobile. Nice car

Mike Mans likes this.
  2. Bob Book

Bob Book Active Member

I understand that .10 per race max but the class now stands to lose .04 as a whole. And Kamplain is now down .17 total and I believe B/ED will lose at least .05 - maybe as much as .07. It's all a bit confusing. I wish Mike had run that good with that engine as he might not have retired. When we did it I think he regretted the investment - especially since he was struggling to run .50 under with it. Convertors simplify everything....

3. projack

projack Member

After this weekend, do the SRAC reps know something we don’t?

4. DE3

DE3 Active Member

B/ED index was a 7.55, so Greg was .77 under that in the final. I think the class the class itself loses .07 to 7.48 and Greg's personal would be a .38 down from a .46. G/AA was 8.91. Mike was .74 under, so the class loses .04 to an 8.87 and Mike's personal becomes an 8.77 although that exceeds the .10 cap so I'm not sure. The way I see it, personal can never be more than .10 less than the class index.

Bob Book likes this.
  5. Brian Landies

Another question which may be totally out of line for a loser who has never sniffed the drivers seat is- at a race where the corrected altitude is almost 2400 feet, is it good that the finalists went 74 and 77 under a good thing?

Had a talk with a comp racer today and we talked about this- the only reason someone should have a “personal” index is if they are brand new to comp. For example, if my brother came back right now to drive Frank’s B/DA, why should he get a tenth back? No. If Aragona puts his drivetrain in J/AA, should he be a tenth softer than Ambrose? No.

If some 20 year old super comp racer wants to race comp and builds a B/DA, I can see giving him some help to get started.

Bob Book likes this.
  6. Bob Book

Bob Book Active Member

I think .10 is the most you can lose per race....

7. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

G/AA will lose 4 and Mike will have 10 personal in that class.

8. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

The way I understand it, if you switch classes, you start off with the class index.. your personal index in your new class is the class index, unless you start to whittle it down.. so yes, if you put Aragona's drain train in a bantam, and run J/AA, you could be a tenth better than Ambrose to start... but I could be wrong...

9. gkamp

gkamp Member

G/AA will lose 4 but because of the 10 cap per race on personal Mike will be down 6 from the new class index. This happened to Jim Greenheck the first year for this. He went 71 under at Gainesville and was only down 9 from the adjusted after that.

Greg K

Matt likes this.
  10. Greg Schenck

Greg Schenck Active Member

memory is slipping. I remember that being explain to me about Jim, didn't understand it then but now I do.

11. cervelli7

cervelli7 Member

Greg,How much are you down now ,and what is the new class index?

12. gkamp

gkamp Member

The new class index is 7.48. My personal is 7.38.

My run against Frankie was a good race and I apologize to no one for that hit. We both wanted and needed to win that round. I do apologize to the other B/ED drivers for the hit in the final. I obviously bailed too late. My run in the semis was the same within .006 to the 1000 and my MPH was 1 less. Why I went a 6.78 instead of another 6.81 I'm not sure.

Greg K

13. SmileyRacing

SmileyRacing Active Member

Don’t apologize for anything. You run great and drive great and compete very well. It is a man’s game and you are the man!
    Clark Smiley

14. cervelli7

cervelli7 Member

Don't say sorry for trying to win. That's what we are all there to do. Good job this weekend.

Matt and Brian Landies like this.
  15. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

I don’t want to make another thread for a rules question so I’ll just ask here.

We are going to be running BB/AT this year. Minimum weight is 1350. We won’t even be close to that. Can you be as much over that minimum as you want. Or is there a cap?

16. Clint Neff

Clint Neff Well-Known Member

Carey I dont think theres a cap. I think you can be over as much as youd like. I think the only cap is the amount you can claim as far as ci. for instance youre running a 150 you can only say its a 160 or less(not sure why you would claim it over what it is but ok). I sure can't find anything in the rulebook that pertains to weight but I havent really looked super close.

17. BenHolt

BenHolt Member

Pretty sure the only classes that really care about "over" weight are Stock/SS. You have to be within the parameter, weight-wise, of whatever class you are claiming. That does not apply to Comp. If you're heavy you are just putting yourself at a possible disadvantage. It would be like showing up and running Pro Stock at 2550. Everyone else would just think you were dumb. hahaha. Not saying you're dumb, Carey. haha

18. boostedf22c

Cool, thanks guys.

I still have plans to get one of your engines Clint, some day. Would be perfect for our current chassis and weight in BB. We'd be right at minimum and have more than double our current displacement. Just need business to pick up. haha. Until then, I'm going in pretty handicapped. O well, it's still fun regardless (most of the time).

19. Brian Landies

Carey,
    What is the advantage of going to BB/AT vs DD/AT? Admittedly I know none of the rules for the turbo classes. Did you switch combinations or do you feel your combination gives you a better chance in BB?

20. boostedf22c

We are competing in another series this year. Which allows us to run a larger turbo. Bigger than the DD/AT limit. So we are basically just getting in where we fit in in Comp.

We actually had a very awesome DD/AT combo. Ended up getting down to a 6.71 in that trim (.87 under) But in this other series that isn’t quite fast enough, so we put a bigger turbo on forcing us into BB/AT when we run Comp races.

toyotaturbo likes this.