RUMOR, OR FACT???

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Charlie Yannetti, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Charlie Yannetti

Charlie Yannetti Well-Known Member

Soooooo, I put a few spins on the pull starter on the Rumor Mill, and the first thing it spit out was a quick story about a Pro Stock entry being DQed in G-Ville because of a Sunoco Race Fuels SR-18 issue, that ws actually reported as a fuel system issue..

I immediately thought that the Rumor Mill was spitting out old news, but then it rolled out that Clark is actually 35 years old, and that he reports that he does not suffer from erectile dysfunction... so I knew the news was current...

Anyone have further on this fuel issue??.. NHRA and Sunoco said that this would be a thing of the past.. are you still risking the thought of turning your engines into hand grenades??... what's the story??

guitar builder and RamAirV like this.
  2. RamAirV

RamAirV Member

Interesting if the competitor was DQ'd for fuel since I believe that the fuel cells for each car are filled by the NHRA Tech department crew.

guitar builder likes this.
  3. Comp 307

Comp 307 Member

I was told by Brian Bazel (Sunoco fuel rep for 11 states) that it was fuel from last year that he brought to the track from home. The driver said as much during the live interview he did at the race. Nothing to stir.

4. Clint Neff

Clint Neff Well-Known Member

Well I'll add my opinion that even if
    Nope nothing to stir and as ive said before I havent ran the most races but ive run enough and I have no failed fuel checks to date.

5. Charlie Yannetti

While I understand your loyalty, Clint, I personally don't believe that NHRA has a handle on fuel check yet.. and I don't believe SR-18 to have any consistency at all.. and from what I've witnessed, I would venture to say that the parameters at fuel check have widened to accommodate , and the phrase "GO AHEAD, YOUR GOOD" is the norm...

SR-18 has been proven time and again to have NO shelf life.. SOOOOOOO if it has to be used, guys, be sure that it's fresh at every race.. but I can tell you that I got a 5 gallon can for a team, at the Keystones, and it failed on the spot.. it was immediately replaced by Sunoco with a 5 gallon can that tested good.. point being, how many guys buy fuel, and don't have it checked before putting it in your fuel system... it's a good thing to keep in mind, but SHOULD WE HAVE TO???...

If you don't push your tune up, it's good stuff.. cause diesel fuel won't hurt you.. you'll just be down a tenth, give or take a few.. LOL!!.. just sayin'...

6. Clint Neff

Another thing that kinda sucks to charlie and this might go in with the shelf life is look at the amount thats being used now between Comp and pro stock. Numbers are down so that 55 gallon drum takes longer to empty out. Just a theory?

Ive always bought my fuel whether it be C25 or SR18 in 5 gallon pails for that exact reason. Just some food for thought.

7. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

I'm with you. I'm actually so paranoid with fuel, if I didn't personally break the seal on the 5 gallon pail, at the track, I won't put it in the tank. And if that sealed 5 gallon pail that I opened isn't used that race weekend, we dispose of it. Too much at risk. Even worse with M1.

guitar builder and Clint Neff like this.
  8. ken reich

ken reich Member

They are pumping from a 45 gallon AT THE TRACK into 5 gallon tins then sealing them ! Not like V/P selling tins that were filled at the refinery!

9. boostedf22c

boostedf22c Active Member

My comment was off topic.......I was just echoing what Clint had said. And I go a step further. Hell, I drive an hour and a half away to the plant and watch VP fill my 5 gallon pails and seal them right there. Not really because I'm worried about fuel check, just what will happen to my engine with bunk fuel at almost 12hp per cubic inch.

On topic.......That would drive me nuts not knowing how that fuel was transported or stored.

10. Charlie Yannetti

Has anyone taken a second to note that it seems that Class Champions, in any class that has a choice in fuels, uses VP Race Fuels??.. just might be something to that...

11. Charlie Yannetti

Great point, Clint...

12. Clint Neff

That may be somewhat true but I actually had VP do the same thing at the track for me a couple times.

I buy 5 gallon pails from my supplier here in town most of the time and its a HUGE fuel distributor and they told me they get there 5 30 and 55s right from the refinery this way.

Either way Old fuel is definitely a big problem at fuel check. Especially when its probably not as good HP wise lol

13. Clint Neff

Yep me too! Sucks too cause the little 4 cylinder dont use much fuel so I waste a lot. I do have a buddy that bracket races a lot so he takes and combines my unused pails and uses it every time he goes out.

14. Bob Book

Bob Book Member

I've used the Sunoco since it's inception and think it's an excellent fuel - other than being a tick down in power to C25. I've had many exhaustive discussions with the powers that be at Sunoco and they continue to be amazed at the way NHRA does fuel check. According to those in charge NHRA's version of a fuel check (Which according to them NASCAR stopped doing it this way decades ago) will fail the fuel for issues that have ZERO to do with the fuels reliability or repeatability. I'd compare it to using a lie detector's results over DNA results. The fuel ahs never caused me ONE SINGLE problem and I feel those who claim it's hurt their engines are looking for a scapegoat to cover what is likely a mistake on their end. I'd still rather have the VP C25 back but there is NOTHING wrong with SR18 other than NHRA continuing to check fuels in a way that makes a problem when none exists!!

15. Clint Neff

Thanks Bob for chiming in! I'd say you have as much experience with both as anybody out there!