Should NHRA quit adding new classes?

Discussion in 'The Comp Buzz' started by Shane Heckel, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Shane Heckel

Shane Heckel Active Member

Another way to help out would be fore NHRA to stop adding new classes.It seems to me to be the only way to make the Perm.CIC work Whats everyones thoughts on this matter?

2. Baltered5266

Baltered5266 Member

Although I would like to see a 4.7lbs/ci altered class added that way us guys that want to run a pro stock combo in comp can, I support the idea of not allowing any new classes in comp. The current cic system will never work when new classes are being added. I like the 2 class per year idea, as well as no perm cic hits on red lights. So basically, I would like to see NHRA re consider and change the bogus aa/sm index, allow a racer to only claim points in 2 classes per season, and consider no perm cic hits when you red light......This can only help the mass majority of comp racers in my opinion......

3. Wade Oman

Wade Oman Member

When bringing up the subject “Do we keep adding classes in comp” I have two answers. Yes and No. Yes to adding dragster automatic classes and no to no more body car classes. Let’s look at some facts from the past to today.

1998 Total classes 42
    Altered/Body car 29
    Dragster 13
    69% for the Altered
    31% for the Dragsters

2006 Total classes 88
    Altered/Body Car 72
    Dragster 16
    82% for the Altered
    18% for the Dragsters

Clearly there has been an advantage to the Altered/Body Car classes for quit some time now. I know part of the worry is that people want indexes to even out. If you look at the Stick classes and the Auto classes on the dragster side, nothing has changed for years or even decades. I think it’s safe to say those classes and there indexes have evened out. This is part of the reason you don’t see as many dragster as you would of eight or ten years ago. Yes there are still a few dragster but not as many. Car count is down and that’s not good for anyone running in comp no matter what class you run. If the dragster indexes of today are evened out then I don’t see how if they add Dragster Automatic classes would be getting soft indexes. You know NHRA would go right down the middle between the stick class and the auto class. Let’s look at an example A/D 7.11 and A/ED 7.26. If you put the index in the middle as close as you can for A/DA it would be 7.18. I don’t see were that is a soft index, but it is a new option for someone to run a in between class. The same option that is all ready on the Altered side. Adding Dragster Auto classes will help car count and it will not be like AA/SM. Anything to help car count.